How to handle a man who may or may not have a weapon...

How to handle a man who may or may not have a weapon...

This is a discussion on How to handle a man who may or may not have a weapon... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you are walking down a street and a man pulls his car to the side of the road next to you, gets out, walks ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: How to handle a man who may or may not have a weapon...

  1. #1
    New Member Array CCEnthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    How to handle a man who may or may not have a weapon...

    So you are walking down a street and a man pulls his car to the side of the road next to you, gets out, walks up to you, and asks you for money. You tell him you don't have any (or whatever) and you start to walk away. He gets in your face and starts harassing you. Things somehow get steamed and he says he's going to kill you. You are carrying your gun but you can't just pull it out because he doesn't have a weapon and you aren't really in fear for your life. He starts walking to his car and says he has a gun he's gonna get. What do you do? I understand the odds of this happening are infinitesimal but I am just curious. You can't pull out your weapon and shoot him because if there is no gun in his vehicle you are going to go to prison. But at the same time you can't just let him go to his car to grab his weapon because it puts you both on an even playing field. Also, you can't run away because as we all know... bullets run a lot quicker than people. Discuss.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,336
    Quote Originally Posted by CCEnthusiast View Post
    So you are walking down a street and a man pulls his car to the side of the road next to you, gets out, walks up to you, and asks you for money. You tell him you don't have any (or whatever) and you start to walk away. He gets in your face and starts harassing you. Things somehow get steamed and he says he's going to kill you.
    In most states, that's pretty much all you need to know, right there.

    Can't know for a fact the perp doesn't happen to have a man-made weapon to assist in the deed. Can't know for a fact the perp doesn't actually have any practical means of completing the threat. But the totality of circumstances is pretty clear that you're in a bad fix. A highly aggressive perp, in your face, threatening murder ... in most states, that suffices for the reasonable man standard to justify steps you believe necessary at the time in order to survive what's manifestly coming.

    Said another way: are you actually willing to bet your life (or the lives of your loved ones) on calling it wrong, at that point? Dither at that point, and you're doing exactly that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  3. #3
    Member Array Chasejax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    221
    What woupd be the problem with pulling your gun and sighting up to see if he does in fact pull a gun out. Id say 99% he doesnt but that 1% chance being the reason. Then call the police and explain?
    That or try to get behind any barrier which would shield you and peek around the corner to see if he does have a gun?
    I dunno... I think a cop would find it odd he stopped and you randomly pulled a firearm out so id hope he would believe your side.
    Or maybe best would be to have hand on firearm and not quite yet unholster it.
    This is a good question... I think some would say the threat of great bodily harm or death from him threatening you is enough but I dont feel so. Depend on what state maybe? Good question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,104
    What is your local law on the issue? What I can legally do here in Texas would earn me a twenty plus year stay as a guest of the state of Maryland. You need to know the laws on use of force any place you plan on going armed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  5. #5
    Member Array Coconut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    375
    I would put my hand on my gun (and flick the safety off if it has one) then call 911 with the other hand, all the while not turning my back on him and finding a solid object to put between me and him. As soon as he gets in the car the gun comes out, when he gets out with any object I take aim, if it's a gun in his hand I pull the trigger. The law in my state would cover me in this instance.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Under a Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    9,452
    This is where a snubnose revolver in your jacket pocket is great. You can have your hand on your gun in your pocket ready to fire through the pocket without the person even knowing you're ready to defend yourself. Or, when he got in your face pepper spray him and take off on foot.

    Pepper Spray is one of the most valuable and often over-looked tools we can carry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

  7. #7
    Member Array Speculator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This is where a snubnose revolver in your jacket pocket is great. You can have your hand on your gun in your pocket ready to fire through the pocket without the person even knowing you're ready to defend yourself. Or, when he got in your face pepper spray him and take off on foot.

    Pepper Spray is one of the most valuable and often over-looked tools we can carry.
    In your pocket ready to fire is the best option. You are not exposing a weapon and are not in danger of being shot by a LEO coming up on your 6, behind your peripheral vision. ANYTIME you draw you are in GRAVE danger of being shot. Keep that in mind, always.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  8. #8
    Ex Member Array MDof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    144
    At the point he says he's going to kill me, that's a threat. If I feel that threat put me in a clear and present danger, and my life is in fact in danger, I address that threat with greater force.
    If it's not a clear and present danger to my life, then I rely on training and knowledge.

    Further; Training, and a lot of it, along with situation awareness, and intimate knowledge and use of your weapon, and the local laws are chief how this scenario ends. You do yourself a disservice by not getting additional self defense training to compliment the fact that you carry a deadly weapon on your side.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

  9. #9
    Member Array LarryMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I would put my hand on my gun (and flick the safety off if it has one) then call 911 with the other hand, all the while not turning my back on him and finding a solid object to put between me and him. As soon as he gets in the car the gun comes out, when he gets out with any object I take aim, if it's a gun in his hand I pull the trigger. The law in my state would cover me in this instance.
    This pretty well covers it, for me, along with the previous suggestion that you know EXACTLY what your state laws are on the use of deadly force.
    gatorbait51 and stylus like this.

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,363
    Like most questions asked here, it will depend on your state law. That said, I would find someplace to take cover, since running is not a real option with my back and hip problems. I will be prepared to respond appropriately if he turns from his car with a gun in hand. I would also be on the phone to 911, keeping the line open to the operator so what happens can be heard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array high pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Georgia for now
    Posts
    4,998
    Am I crazy, or doesn't anyone else wonder just where some of these scenarios come from?

    A motorist mugging a pedestrian? Just what do you have going on in Wisconsin?

    If a motorist stops on a road here in Atlanta, he's going to get rear ended, and won't have any chance to approach a pedestrian, 'cause Lord knows there are very few parking spaces in Atlanta that don't already have a car in them.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

    - Anon

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    3,312
    The scenario assumes that you, as the pedestrian will allow the motorist/BG to get in your face, and that you would have discourse with him. Skrew that!

    You evade, break your line of walking, if he attempts to speak to you, you say in command voice "NO THANK YOU!", continue on your way, whilst preparing for whatever he should bring.

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array flaguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NE FLA
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by CCEnthusiast View Post
    So you are walking down a street and a man pulls his car to the side of the road next to you, gets out, walks up to you, and asks you for money. You tell him you don't have any (or whatever) and you start to walk away. He gets in your face and starts harassing you. Things somehow get steamed and he says he's going to kill you. You are carrying your gun but you can't just pull it out because he doesn't have a weapon and you aren't really in fear for your life. He starts walking to his car and says he has a gun he's gonna get. What do you do? I understand the odds of this happening are infinitesimal but I am just curious. You can't pull out your weapon and shoot him because if there is no gun in his vehicle you are going to go to prison. But at the same time you can't just let him go to his car to grab his weapon because it puts you both on an even playing field. Also, you can't run away because as we all know... bullets run a lot quicker than people. Discuss.
    there is a reason that many of us carry less than lethal weapons in addition to firearms, a pepper spray in the face would be a good start.

    in addition in most places a verbal threat is a good reason to use lethal force
    gatorbait51 and stylus like this.

  14. #14
    Member Array slosolo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Am I crazy, or doesn't anyone else wonder just where some of these scenarios come from?

    A motorist mugging a pedestrian? Just what do you have going on in Wisconsin?

    If a motorist stops on a road here in Atlanta, he's going to get rear ended, and won't have any chance to approach a pedestrian, 'cause Lord knows there are very few parking spaces in Atlanta that don't already have a car in them.
    Something similar to this happened to my family and I while walking in Rome. If you don't know Rome has a little traffic problem as well but it didn't stop one shyster from pulling to the curb next to us. The guy didn't get out of the car but got very hostile when we wouldn't give him any cash. He drove off but it could have been really bad since as tourists we had next to nothing to defend ourselves with.

    Blame Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and stylus like this.

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,888
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Am I crazy, or doesn't anyone else wonder just where some of these scenarios come from?

    A motorist mugging a pedestrian? Just what do you have going on in Wisconsin?

    If a motorist stops on a road here in Atlanta, he's going to get rear ended, and won't have any chance to approach a pedestrian, 'cause Lord knows there are very few parking spaces in Atlanta that don't already have a car in them.
    Unlikely scenarios play out all the time. Finding reasons it can't happen to you because of small details just puts you in denial. Tweak this one a little, just a couple changes in the details, and you have a situation very similar to one I had in a parking lot not so long ago, recounted here:
    Interviewed In A Supermarket Parking Lot
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

andrew brannan killer dead yet 2014

Click on a term to search for related topics.