Bank robbery?

Bank robbery?

This is a discussion on Bank robbery? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had this dream last night (do you all have shooting related dreams?). There was a guy quietly demanding money from the teller, with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Bank robbery?

Bank robbery?

So I had this dream last night (do you all have shooting related dreams?). There was a guy quietly demanding money from the teller, with a gun visible but not to all. From about 15 ft away, I see what's going on. I draw and with an angle that wouldn't put the teller at risk, I shot him in the back.

So the question is: is this legal? This situation could arise in a gas station, bank or just some random street corner.

And I know, check your state laws, but in states that allow you to defend someone else, can you shoot a BG in the back?

You can. You might not always SHOULD, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Do I have shooting related dreams, you betcha, I dream I'm shooting a lot of the ridiculous posts that pop up on this forum.

Would I involve myself in a 'private' conversation between a teller and a bank robber? Nope, I'd quietly leave and call 911.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Each bullet fired costs you $30,000 in legal fees. You think the bank is going to pay that for you?

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    So I had this dream last night (do you all have shooting related dreams?). There was a guy quietly demanding money from the teller, with a gun visible but not to all. From about 15 ft away, I see what's going on. I draw and with an angle that wouldn't put the teller at risk, I shot him in the back.

So the question is: is this legal? This situation could arise in a gas station, bank or just some random street corner.

And I know, check your state laws, but in states that allow you to defend someone else, can you shoot a BG in the back?
    As with nearly any of these scenarios presented on gun forums, the only real answer possible is.....we don't know. We would need A LOT more info.

As your home state appears to be Indiana, I will share from personal knowledge that the answer to your question is likely yes, it would be "legal." However, if the situation is no more or less as what you have described, it would also be true that you are one of the countless thousands in the Hoosier State who should be nowhere near a firearm if you did so. You can do something that may be legal, and also be an idiot for doing so, all at the same time..... Observe everything that occurs carefully and be prepared to be a good witness. That's what society wants you to do. We DON'T want you to play policeman or be the "hero." It shouldn't be why you're carrying a gun.

The banks money is insured. If he ain't shooting, I ain't neither.

It is hard to claim you were in fear of your life if you shoot someone in the back. Who knows if the teller was in fear of their life?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Hmmmmm.......I'll play. I wouldn't shoot the guy. I would hope he left peacefully. Then again, if he has a gun pointed at someone, by shooting him in the back you are potentially saving their life. Despite what "society wants you to do" and the fact that some would think "you are one of the countless thousands in the Hoosier State who should be nowhere near a firearm if you did so" shooting him may be exactly the right move. What if the teller freezes up and he puts one in her face? What if he panics and just starts blasting people? Certainly, if you are a private citizen it isn't your "job" to try and save everyone, however, I wouldn't fault a law-abiding citizen for successfully ending an armed robbery by using their concealed weapon. There is a post that pops up frequently on this forum describing armed robbers. One of the main points in the post is that armed robbers have no regard for life, they've already decided that money is worth more than life. AGAIN, I am NOT saying that shooting is definitely the right move. I am saying, that given the limited information you dreamed up, I'm not willing to say it would be absolutely wrong either. Clear as mud?
    Stirling XD and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Unless I have a very good reason to believe he is going to shoot the teller or attempt to take someone with him, let him take the money, try to be a good witness, call the police.

Distinguished Member
    I used to work for a bank in a prior life. Tellers are never supposed to have more than a few thousand dollars in their drawers - the larger cash is kept in the vault. They are taught to always comply with a robbery because there is not much money at stake, the money is insured and they need to get the criminal out of the bank as quickly as possible to protect customers and staff. Every teller has a clip of money that is wired in some way to a silent alarm - pull that particular wad of cash and the police will be there post haste.

If it is me, there is no way I am stepping into the middle of a robbery. If the gunman pulls the weapon and starts some type of aggressive behavior, my actions may change. But for a robbery itself, I am stepping aside and calling 911.

This is a dream right?.... OK I'd let him rob the bank, wait for him outside then rob him.... Then go get an asian massage hit the local pub and buy drinks for everyone. have a nice meal and visit the Caddilac dealer and pick up an STS. Then maybe back for another massage and go home and wake up.
    maxwell97, Bad Bob, PEF and 15 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I used to work for a bank in a prior life. Tellers are never supposed to have more than a few thousand dollars in their drawers - the larger cash is kept in the vault. They are taught to always comply with a robbery because there is not much money at stake, the money is insured and they need to get the criminal out of the bank as quickly as possible to protect customers and staff. Every teller has a clip of money that is wired in some way to a silent alarm - pull that particular wad of cash and the police will be there post haste.

If it is me, there is no way I am stepping into the middle of a robbery. If the gunman pulls the weapon and starts some type of aggressive behavior, my actions may change. But for a robbery itself, I am stepping aside and calling 911.
    OK so forget the caddy.

Of course we have shooting-related dreams. In mine I'm usually at the range with Kate Upton, Scarlett Johansson and Lindsey Vonn; I'm trying to impress them with my shooting skills, but no matter what I do, my always-reliable pistol just won't fire. They keep telling me it's okay and that it happens to a lot of guns, but I get really embarrassed and frustrated. Not sure what that's about.

But anyway, in real life, I wouldn't shoot that robber. You have to play the odds, always, and the odds in that situation are that he's going to get money, walk away, no one gets hurt, and they catch him eventually. Once someone starts shooting, it's all up in the air. Probably it will only be him that gets shot, but it might be you, or the teller, or some other poor slob standing around waiting to cash a check. Not worth the risk.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    I've had shooting related dreams but in each case, I've never been able to fire my gun - either the trigger won't work or there are no bullets. The trigger always feels like the trigger on a Kel-Tec P3AT!

Your dream scenario would probably be legal in Texas, but not advisable. As others have said, get out of Dodge and be a good witness. You're not an LEO.
    RickyD, tdave and LimaCharlie like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    This is a dream right?.... OK I'd let him rob the bank, wait for him outside then rob him.... Then go get an asian massage hit the local pub and buy drinks for everyone. have a nice meal and visit the Caddilac dealer and pick up an STS. Then maybe back for another massage and go home and wake up.

When I lived in San Diego, a young guy robbed a bank, walked across the street to a bicycle shop and bought a nice ten speed with cash and peddled away. He got curious to see if they were looking for him and peddled back. They were looking for him and arrested him.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links