Can I shovel your driveway?

This is a discussion on Can I shovel your driveway? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I just started posting and interacting on the forum and I must admit - I'm kind of hooked. Lot's of good information, stories and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Can I shovel your driveway?

Can I shovel your driveway?

So, I just started posting and interacting on the forum and I must admit - I'm kind of hooked. Lot's of good information, stories and like minded people who just want to be safe and responsible armed citizens.

Here was an interesting thing that happened to me about a week ago. I was in my home with my mother and son (my wife was out of the house). It was the middle of a snow storm and was just about to go outside to shovel the walkway and driveway when my dogs alerted and started barking. It wasn't the usual bark of an odd noise or something like that but rather an angry bark which is odd for my golden retriever. I was carrying my Glock 22 OWB but concealed and went to the front door where I saw 2 men dressed all in black approaching my front door in the snow through my yard from the side of the house. Before they had a chance to get within 20 ft and to the stairs, I opened the front door, stepped out on to my porch with one foot keeping the screen door ajar and made contact.

I asked what they were up to and one asked if I would like my drive/walk way shoveled. I politely declined and it was then that they pointed to a late model SUV parked down the road (about 2 houses down) saying that they could have it done in 30 minutes because there were 4 of them and they would do my entire drive/walk way for $30 (its no easy task even with a snow thrower). I again declined and they went back to their car. The group of them sat in their car for about 10 minutes and then drove off. They didn't go to another house and ask anyone else immediately.

I went outside to do my work and when I was wrapping up (45 minutes) I noticed the truck back in the neighborhood a few houses down. The 'crew' was in fact shoveling a driveway for a neighbor who allowed the work but I found the who interaction quite odd. It was most likely nothing to worry about but my intuition was telling me something didn't feel right.

Was I too paranoid? Good situational awareness? Should I have done anything different?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'Sounds like they really were looking to shovel snow, but I like your response.

Anybody that approaches me without an appointment, looking to sell goods or services gets an automatic "No thank you".

{edit} Unless they're kids. I buy all their crap.
    RickyD, CWOUSCG, GWarden and 10 others like this.

VIP Member
    I think you responded well, with a healthy dose of paranoia/awareness. Your dogs also sensed something was not right. I might have kept the door closed and also alerted the police just to let them be aware of possible suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
    tdave likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I have a "No Solicitation" sign on my door to discourage uninvited guests. If an unexpected visitor rings the doorbell (the dog starts up long before that), then I only answer while carrying. It's a comforting precaution, given that many home invasions I've read about start with a polite knock.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

And selling Girl Scout cookies.

Man, I hope no one ever uses Girl Scout cookies as a home invasion scam.... I'd be in serious trouble.....
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Nope...........approaching from the yard at the side of the house ?
    2 men dressed in Black ?
    Could have been looking for an empty house with the ploy of shoveling snow.........stay alert.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I always buy the stuff kids sell, especially if they live in the neighborhood because I know my son will be doing that kind of stuff one day too.

I personally think a little paranoia is ok and I did let me neighbor know about the interaction (a local LEO). He thought it was noteworthy but nothing to get too concerned about.

not paranoid.....prepared! This time it went okay but you never know!

Stay safe!
    JDE101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

Anybody that approaches me without an appointment, looking to sell goods or services gets an automatic "No thank you".

heh me too. Dang girl scouts and their evil Samoa cookies. I bought an entire CASE last time. I figured you can only get them once a year so why not get enough to last the whole year and trade with at work.
    hcrum87hc likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Trust your dogs. We have a Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix. He is usually a very friendly laid-back dog who loves everyone. Occasionally, he lets out with a very loud angry bark when someone comes to the door. When I am home, he is very laid-back. When I am gone, he goes on alert. My wife tells me the dogs know I am coming home when I am about a mile away. They run to the back door and are waiting for me a few minutes before I drive into the garage.
    Curzyk, WrongRecroom and Roudy like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Should I have done anything different?
    Nope. $30 is too much. I've never paid more than $10 and only then because I was too tired to do my own that day.
    Parrisk likes this.

Depending on how your neighborhood is laid out, I wouldn't find it too odd that they came from the side. When I shoveled snow (every time enough of it fell, good money!), I would go door to door. When I finished one house, I'd just walk over (from the side) to the other house, instead of walking back to the street then down their driveway/walkway.

Man, I miss those days. My buddy and I almost always averaged $120/hr each when we'd head over to the "rich neighborhoods". Not bad for two little snot nosed punks on a snow day/weekend.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Around here we have to make our snow shoveling/plowing arrangements in the fall. So Most are taken care of when it snows. We get a lot of snow here. They would not get much work or any around here. It would be very suspicious for them to go door to door. Now I can understand if you are down south and only get an occasional snow it could be legit.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I live in a rural area we still end up with people at the door to peddle goods services or religion. I don't think they are all out to get me but since I don't know which are.....

They were probably trying to get money to buy weed. When I was a kid we did the same thing only to buy booze.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links