You see the perp and victim of Amber alert

This is a discussion on You see the perp and victim of Amber alert within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this has been discussed before, but there was an amber alert issued in my area and it got me thinking. Say you're ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: You see the perp and victim of Amber alert

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but there was an amber alert issued in my area and it got me thinking.

Say you're out minding your own business, getting gas, shopping, or whatever. Your phone vibrates and one of those amber alerts pops up and you read it. Several minutes later you spot the child and the kidnapper. They look 100% identical to the photos that were released, so you are sure it's them. You call the police, but they're already headed towards their car (which you see in the distance that matches the plate and description given).

What now? Be a good witness? Take action? Remember, this child's life is at stake, and the police aren't known for their incredible response times.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

keep them in sight at all costs. relay via 911

tag
    You're not a cop. Some kids are taken by parents and are not in danger. Be a witness and let to police know what is going on.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

I may be a little biased on taking some action, because the body of this girl was found behind the house two doors behind from me.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    You're not a cop. Some kids are taken by parents and are not in danger. Be a witness and let to police know what is going on.

No I'm not a cop, but I'm a human being. Is a badge required to do the right thing?

VIP Member
    I'd follow, but at distance while staying on the phone with 911, until a LEO got on scene.

There's no way I'm going to let him get away because I don't want to be involved. They involved me the moment I saw them.

It's amazing how the answer to these "what if's" always ends up being the same.

You're not the police and no one wants you to be the hero. It shouldn't be why you are carrying a gun (presuming you do.)

Call the police, report the situation clearly, and be a good witness. And, yes, the police are actually known for their incredible response times.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm all for follow and be the good witness on this one--unless the kidnapper tries to harm the victim. Then my actions may change.
    DingBat, DooSPX, WHEC724 and 8 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Can't say for sure, but I'd be most inclined to follow them while relaying turn by turn to police.
    BenGoodLuck and SilvaMan61 like this.

Keep in mind I mentioned nothing about my gun in the scenario.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

tag
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTrevor View Post
    No I'm not a cop, but I'm a human being. Is a badge required to do the right thing?
    What if you try to stop them and the child gets killed because you decided to play cop?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

+1 follow and report.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    What if you try to stop them and the child gets killed because you decided to play cop?

What if I don't do anything and the body of someone's daughter is dumped down the street?

I don't know what I'd do, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I just don't think the "you're not a cop" is a catch-all for every scenario.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 20th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

What OldVet said!!!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

All the right responses obviously.....we're not the police....BUT....IMO, if the description was given for a known BG and it's not a relative and you could position yourself between the victim and the BG and all the stars in the universe fall into place simultaneously....then, just then I might intervene.

If it was my child and someone had a chance to do something....I wouldn't care who that someone was....just do it.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links