Officer Awarded $1.2 Million in Shooting

This is a discussion on Officer Awarded $1.2 Million in Shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone climbs your second floor steps at 3am unannounced. What would you do? Jury awards $1.2M to Shrewsbury officer shot during house call - Worcester ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Officer Awarded $1.2 Million in Shooting

Someone climbs your second floor steps at 3am unannounced. What would you do?

Jury awards $1.2M to Shrewsbury officer shot during house call - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

According to court documents, Mr. Ragsdale returned home about 2:20 a.m. July 14, 2006, after a night of drinking, and apparently set off the burglar alarm in his home. An Affiliated Central employee got no answer after calling the home and then notified Shrewsbury police.

Officer Rice, then a 25-year-old rookie, and Officer Ryan Chartrand went to the Farmington Drive address and apparently set off the alarm a second time while checking the windows and doors of the residence. This time, Mr. Ragsdale answered the alarm monitoring company's call, identified himself and provided the correct security code.

Affiliated Central failed to notify Mr. Ragsdale that police had been dispatched to the home in response to the earlier alarm and failed to inform police that Mr. Ragsdale was at home and there was no burglary, according to court records.

A neighbor who had been given a key to the Ragsdale home told Officer Rice that the family was supposed to be away on vacation. While the neighbor said the silhouette of a figure that could be seen in a second-floor window appeared to be Mr. Ragsdale, Officer Rice believed the person resembled a potential suspect in recent burglaries in town.

The neighbor allowed the officers into the home and the entry tripped the alarm a third time. Hearing someone in the house, Mr. Ragsdale, who was licensed to carry a firearm, armed himself with a .380-caliber handgun. Mr. Ragsdale shot Officer Rice when he reached the darkened second-floor hallway.

While the former officer testified that he identified himself as a police officer immediately before being shot, Mr. Ragsdale disputed that in the pleadings in the case. The bullet entered the officer's abdomen, just below his bullet-proof vest.
    This is why I and others preach on this and other gun sites about civil liability. The criminal justice system didn't even indict him for charges but the civil courts are a completely different world.

IF what has been presented is factual (it's a media source so we have no idea), I'm surprised the civil jury awarded him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post

Jury awards $1.2M to Shrewsbury officer shot during house call - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com
    Try to stay factual/neutral when you post these sensationalized news stories. That he was unannounced is not a fact in evidence.
    USM1976 and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    against former car dealer Mark P. Ragsdale today in the 2006 shooting of a Shrewsbury police officer who was responding to a burglar alarm at Mr. Ragsdale's home.

According to court documents, Mr. Ragsdale returned home about 2:20 a.m. July 14, 2006, after a night of drinking, and apparently set off the burglar alarm in his home. An Affiliated Central employee got no answer after calling the home and then notified Shrewsbury police.
    I'd have kept my day job of selling used cars.

If my home is firing off the burglar alarm, I'm going to have a hard time justifying firing upon a responding officer. Of course, drunken stupor is what it is. Am unsurprised that in the circumstances a jury found him guilty. To the tune of $1.26M @ 12% APR. Just so.
    BenGoodLuck and Bad Bob like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Put the flashlight beam on the potential target and identify it as an actual threat before pulling the trigger.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd have kept my day job of selling used cars.

If my home is firing off the burglar alarm, I'm going to have a hard time justifying firing upon a responding officer.
    Read the news story again more carefully and in its entirety. There are considerable mitigating circumstances. Dealing with a jury in a civil trial often has little to do with codified law and everything to do with emotion. I suspect that was the case here.

In a civil trial, I would have found the alarm company liable before Ragsdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
    In a civil trial, I would have found the alarm company liable before Ragsdale.
    From the info provided, this was my thought as well. A jury in a civil trial has so much latitude to do what they want....you never know.
    USM1976 likes this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    law enforcement should probably be required to wear video/audio gear to record every call response. Better for evidence and also assigning correct liability. It's a good idea for homeowners and anyone stopped in their vehicle to record too.
    NONAME762, Longstreet and Gatling like this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article

Officer Rice, then a 25-year-old rookie, and Officer Ryan Chartrand went to the Farmington Drive address and apparently set off the alarm a second time while checking the windows and doors of the residence. This time, Mr. Ragsdale answered the alarm monitoring company's call, identified himself and provided the correct security code.

Affiliated Central failed to notify Mr. Ragsdale that police had been dispatched to the home in response to the earlier alarm and failed to inform police that Mr. Ragsdale was at home and there was no burglary, according to court records.
    Hm. So, which is it? Was the alarm company unable to contact the resident? Or, was the alarm company negligent for failing to be able to contact the resident? If they were unable to contact the resident, then how did they know he was home with sufficient proof such that they could notify police of that fact?

Of course, the alarm had been tripped by the resident. Perhaps he'd called in to the alarm company in order to reset the alarm and cancel the call. Unclear.

Might just be crappy reporting. Who can say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Try to stay factual/neutral when you post these sensationalized news stories. That he was unannounced is not a fact in evidence.
    I'm not an attorney AND this is just one on several news articles on this case. The others spoke more of the conflicting stories of whether the officer announced his presence or not. So if you think I "sensationalized" the story you missed the bigger picture.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. So, which is it? Was the alarm company unable to contact the resident? Or, was the alarm company negligent for failing to be able to contact the resident? If they were unable to contact the resident, then how did they know he was home with sufficient proof such that they could notify police of that fact?

Of course, the alarm had been tripped by the resident. Perhaps he'd called in to the alarm company in order to reset the alarm and cancel the call. Unclear.

Might just be crappy reporting. Who can say.
    You need to reread the story. The FIRST time the alarm went off the alarm company got no answer to their call. The SECOND time the alarm went off, Ragsdale answered the phone and gave the correct code. The THIRD time the alarm went off is when the police were let in by the neighbor. Who btw said the person in the second floor window looked like Ragsdsle.
    BenGoodLuck and USM1976 like this.

I think the alarm co. should have notified the police that the resident was at home. I also think the resident should have id"d the target. Bad busines all around. Sometimes someone makes a mistake and someone dies.
    USM1976 and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It sounds more like everyone doing their job/protecting themselves inside their home with a dash of bad juju thrown in.
    Azchief likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like the jury did not take any pity on the wealthy home owner. I would be surprised if he hid not have an insurance policy to cover the liability.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links