drunk people....How do you handle them?

This is a discussion on drunk people....How do you handle them? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've witnessed drunk people threatening others and even started fights using their fists/feet and weapons such sticks/rocks/whatever they can find. Can I potentially get lock ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: drunk people....How do you handle them?

drunk people....How do you handle them?

i've witnessed drunk people threatening others and even started fights using their fists/feet and weapons such sticks/rocks/whatever they can find. Can I potentially get lock up for injuring/killing a drunk person because he/she tried attacking me esp. with a weapon?

Personally, i think being drunk is not a valid excuse to harm others and the drunk person should receive no special treatment.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Were you able to leave the area and alert authorities?
    gatorbait51, tcox4freedom and ctr like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Were you able to leave the area and alert authorities?
    Someone already did the calling. i'm picturing if I got caught in it by accident such as walking into a park and ran into a violent drunktard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

This really is a good topic however I would say give them no special treatment. Because someone is drunk doesn't give them the right to attack anyone, let alone with weapons. Just my opinion, let's see what others opinions are.
    gatorbait51 and UrsusMedius like this.

VIP Member
    If a drunk person or a person on drugs is coming at you with a weapon and going to inflict bodily injury on you , you may need to stop the threat . But at the very second you see the person acting this way you need to remove yourself from the area and call police .

Drinking or Drugs gives no-one an excuse for committing assults .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    If a drunk person or a person on drugs is coming at you with a weapon and going to inflict bodily injury on you , you may need to stop the threat . But at the very second you see the person acting this way you need to remove yourself from the area and call police .

Drinking or Drugs gives no-one an excuse for committing assults .
    Yes, this. The alcohol is no excuse, if you legitimately feel you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm then you are legally justified to defend yourself. But as welder516 says, you should immediately remove yourself from the area if you see that a person is acting belligerent.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The best way to handle this kind is to avoid being around them or places they frequent. Remember, the firearm is a tool of last resort, and that implies that you have other tools in your personal defense arsenal, and you must use these first. Avoid, evade, and if you can't, deescalate, retreat.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I avoid them Drunks and Stoners are something I have no time for. If they are in my path and chose not to move out of the way they will pay a high price for their high.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I avoid them Drunks and Stoners are something I have no time for. If they are in my path and chose not to move out of the way they will pay a high price for their high.
    While I agree with you in principal, your comment sounds aggressive. I don't think you can put a rational decision on someone in that condition.
    suntzu and ntkb like this.

There comes a time in most of our lives, when we decide that the places where drunks hang out are not the best places for us to be. +1 for avoiding them in the first place.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    There comes a time in most of our lives, when we decide that the places where drunks hang out are not the best places for us to be. +1 for avoiding them in the first place.
    ^^The problem with these drunken/high buffoons^^^^^^

is that they sometimes inhabit the house next door.
    Or they like walking around the mall where your family is.
    Or Disneyland, the beach, the movies, work, church(yes even church), the local family restaurant.
    They could be anywhere.

Get out of the immediate area.
    Alert police of the situation, stand by and be a good witness.
    Personally, if they were harassing a mother with kids, old people or little kids, I would be hard pressed to not step in if things got really out of control.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    The "S" rule applies here but if caught in a situation where there is a violent threat before me/you the same reaction would apply drunk or not. I react to the threat not the person. I stop the threat by stopping the person, be it a drunk, old, young, man, woman or child. Be able to stop the threat and don't look at the person who is the threat.

Know what is needed in your state to use deadly force then move forward.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    i've witnessed drunk people threatening others and even started fights using their fists/feet and weapons such sticks/rocks/whatever they can find. Can I potentially get lock up for injuring/killing a drunk person because he/she tried attacking me esp. with a weapon?
    Potentially, absolutely. Same as at any other time, simply because you're the one left standing. All it takes is an "enterprising" DA with a lack of conscience and appreciation for the reality of street warfare when it does occur. Can be stickier still, with the unarmed, incompetent, or anyone else otherwise presumably lacking his faculties at the time. Doesn't affect the dire threat one can pose, in the least. Some of the most-dangerous sorts are in fact those who've temporarily "lost" their faculties, precisely because they have lost them. Toss in a weapon, and it's just as deadly as anything else.

And so, know your state statutes cold; know what you're prepared to do or not do; be capable and effective, as much as you're able; be circumspect; but, always be ready to defend yourself if it becomes necessary to do so, as you'll likely not get an engraved invitation or warning of weaponry or risk.

Personally, I don't think "drunks" should get any special dispensation, either. But not all DA's think that way, thinking somehow such people who are "suffering" from a disease can't possibly be as threatening as others. A fallacy, of course, but it exists. The threat is very real, almost worse with the greater unpredictability of such "afflicted" people like those under the influence of something. To my way of thinking, though, the practical deadliness of being influenced by drink, drug, power trip, LSD trip or an over-inflated sense of need isn't readily distinguishable. And the statues clearly don't distinguish in such ways, with the 'reasonable man' standard being the same regarding threat without respect to what motivated the deadly assailant to be that way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I try to avoid drunks.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Don't ask me how I know this:), but if you are attacked by a drunk, ith no weapons involved, don't count on them feeling any pain, at least right away.
    But what does work, and I'm not advocating this if you haven't been trained, is a chop to the throat, with only enough force to temporarily collapse their windpipe. Not being able to suck air for a few seconds really, really takes the " wind" out of their sails and allows you a chance to walk away.
    On e again, don't do this unless you have been properly taught.
    Yeah, in my younger days I learned a few things, by being in all the wrong places at the right time.
    Don't get in to gun fights with a drunk; if they are a really good shot, they will hit both of you :)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links