Carry Scenario - Shots Fired

This is a discussion on Carry Scenario - Shots Fired within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I am preparing for applying for my CCW license I have a scenario that keeps boggling my mind. Your at a convenience store/gas station/ect... ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Carry Scenario - Shots Fired

New Member Array mtimbrook71404's Avatar

As I am preparing for applying for my CCW license I have a scenario that keeps boggling my mind.

Your at a convenience store/gas station/ect... and your not specifically involved in the situation. Your SA alarms and you notice an armed robbery in process. Shots are fired at the store employee as you pump gas. You don't know that if the employee is actually shot but your carrying and are outside so technically "out of harms way" for that moment.

Do you jump in your car, call 911 and speed away?
    Do you call 911 and position yourself to incapacitate the BG?

I am not LEO, but at the same time I have many clients that own convenience stores and a couple have been shot at, so I am at a conundrum.

Sorry if the topic has been covered already but I just want to learn from the wisdom of this forum.

Thanks everyone!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't claim to be an expert qualified to give advice, but I can tell you what I would NOT do. I would not engage the BG's unless myself or my loved ones were directly threatened. I carry for their defense and mine, not for anyone else. It may sound a bit cold, but I'm not willing to risk my life attempting to save a stranger, when he may already be dead or mortally wounded, or - just as likely - is uninjured or has received a non-life-threatening wound.

Driving away or taking cover behind my car and watching seem like the two most likely options, depending on the exact situation, followed by a call to 911.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    If I'm alone I hide behind a pillar and make like a good witness. Get a pic of the perp or his car and call 911. If my family is with me I jump in the car and get out of Dodge. No way I'm going to endanger them to be a better witness. They are my priority.

I would not enter the fight even if alone unless the shooter was trying to get a better shot at the clerk. If I saw that then all bets are off - if I'm alone. I don't know that I could stand there and watch that going down. I probably enter the fray - but that's me typing on a keyboard. Who knows in the heat of the moment. Again, if my family were with me we scoot. Regardless. I get them out of danger.
    xoolo, niks, oldman45 and 1 others like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

What is importan to drill in is what does your states law say ? Will you be ok if you wade into the fray so to speak to save a life ?

For me unless it is clear death is about to go down I am staying the heck away and taking cover and evidence ...I always say money can be replaced life can not .
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would rush to my car and get my AR out of the trunk, and don my conciel carry jacket that advertize that I am a licensed armed citize. I'd also take out my CCW badge and place it on my belt. I'd remove the 20 round clip in my AR and replace it with two 40 round clips taped back to back for quick change out. I'd turn on the 63,000,000 candle power light in the bottom of the A/R, then turn on the super red dot aimpoint perp-finder on top, and the lazer range finder on the left, and the lazer aiming device on the right. Then sling the one point sling over my right shoulder. Then I'd pull out my gunbelt and shove in my H&K super combat elite operator tactical .45 with 22 round clip, and 12 spare mags (off side). I know some might consider it a bit excessive but I carry a ballistic helmet in my trunk and I'd put that on. As the robber leaves the store I'd lay down supressive fire keeping him in the store. Upon the arrival of the police I'd join up with their swat team and explain to them how I have trained with every tactical school and that I am deemed a warrior. Then I'd lead them into the store and subdue the perpetrator.

I will have to go with some of the others. If my life or my family's life is not in danger then I will jump in the car and take off while calling 911. If I spot the BG running out of the store or walking out I might take cover and wait till he is gone while being a good witness. If he's coming toward me or my family I would have to draw and possibly engage to protect my life as well as my family's.

However if he comes outside and starts shooting up whoever is in his sight I might have to engage if possible to save lives because at that point that could be considered a "mass shooting".

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I would rush to my car and get my AR out of the trunk, and don my conciel carry jacket that advertize that I am a licensed armed citize. I'd also take out my CCW badge and place it on my belt. I'd remove the 20 round clip in my AR and replace it with two 40 round clips taped back to back for quick change out. I'd turn on the 63,000,000 candle power light in the bottom of the A/R, then turn on the super red dot aimpoint perp-finder on top, and the lazer range finder on the left, and the lazer aiming device on the right. Then sling the one point sling over my right shoulder. Then I'd pull out my gunbelt and shove in my H&K super combat elite operator tactical .45 with 22 round clip, and 12 spare mags (off side). I know some might consider it a bit excessive but I carry a ballistic helmet in my trunk and I'd put that on. As the robber leaves the store I'd lay down supressive fire keeping him in the store. Upon the arrival of the police I'd join up with their swat team and explain to them how I have trained with every tactical school and that I am deemed a warrior. Then I'd lead them into the store and subdue the perpetrator.
    Lmao I love the suppression fire part
    MasterGadgets and TexasBill like this.

Wait!!! You are forgetting your Swiss Army Knife.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Wait!!! You are forgetting your Swiss Army Knife.
    That's in his back pocket. His "Out the Front" Benchmade would be strapped to his offside wrist........

Seriously though---the OP is new here, and just getting started in his life of trying to be a responsible citizen who takes his and his family's safety seriously.

So, mtimbrook: If I had my family or other innocents in the vehicle--yep, drive away ASAP, while calling 911--I probably would not drive too far away, just out of the immediate vicinity, so I could go back and give witness statements.

If my family was NOT with me, personally, I think I'd hunker down behind my vehicle's engine block, and be a good witness, getting descriptions, license plate, etc.

I would probably draw BUT HIDE/CONCEAL my own weapon: AND YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL--CHECKING YOUR "6" FOR ANY LOOKOUTS/BACKUPS/HOMEBOYS that might shoot Mr. Good Citizen in the back of your head..........

Remember, you are NOT a sworn LEO, and if you get in a gun battle with the perps, when it could be avoided, YOU may be the one going to jail for any stray bullets (even ones fired by the bad guys) that hit and killed the young mother and her baby in the stroller across the street.......

Now, if you are behind good cover (concealment keep you out of sight, but will NOT stop bullets [think shrubbery] while "cover" will stop bullets) and they come out and shoot at you, then all bets are off, and remember to get a good sight picture first and lead a moving target......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

When police arrive they will not know who is BG and who is GG.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

And people claim Gecko45 is no longer on DC!!!!!!!

I think he just changed his name and here he is!!!
    niks likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by mtimbrook71404 View Post
    As I am preparing for applying for my CCW license I have a scenario that keeps boggling my mind.

Your at a convenience store/gas station/ect... and your not specifically involved in the situation. Your SA alarms and you notice an armed robbery in process. Shots are fired at the store employee as you pump gas. You don't know that if the employee is actually shot but your carrying and are outside so technically "out of harms way" for that moment.

Do you jump in your car, call 911 and speed away?
    Do you call 911 and position yourself to incapacitate the BG?

I am not LEO, but at the same time I have many clients that own convenience stores and a couple have been shot at, so I am at a conundrum.

Sorry if the topic has been covered already but I just want to learn from the wisdom of this forum.

Thanks everyone!
    Yes this topic pops up once or twice every week. And you'll get the gung-ho types that will act like LEO and barge into any situation, and also those who understand that carrying is for SELF defense. Emphasis on self. (The latter are correct, IMHO)

To answer your question:

"Do you jump in your car, call 911 and speed away?" Yes. All day every day.

"Do you call 911 and position yourself to incapacitate the BG?" Only if you'd like to risk your life and the lives of innocent bystanders by escalating the situation into a firefight. And if you like paying tens of thousands in court fees and ending up in jail. So no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TRX likes this.

I'm going to assume that if he has started shooting, he will be running out of the store before I can stop pumping gas, get in the car and drive away. So my plan would be to tell my family to get down now, stop the pump so I don't have gas fumes hanging around me and take cover while keeping an eye on the bad guy. By this time my wife's is on the phone with 911, if the guy comes out of the store and starts heading for us then the moment I dreaded has come and I pray my training kicks in.

I'm going to play devils advocate on this thread and I expect a lot of flack. Most of the posts on here say, and rightly so, not to get involved. Now when you stop to think about it, doesn't that favor the establishments that have no gun signs ? If you are not getting involved in that situation what is the purpose of carrying a gun into (around) a store ?
    I don't know if I'm making my point right, but I think you get my meaning.

VIP Member
    People are going to respond as they will, regardless of the weekly hectoring rendered here as the scenario is presented over and over and over again.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links