Possible manslaughter charge in New York

This is a discussion on Possible manslaughter charge in New York within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts on this one? New York Man Charged With Manslaughter After Loved Ones Say He Did ?What Anybody Would Do to Protect His Family? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Possible manslaughter charge in New York

gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think even in NYC he will be vindicated.

He should in the future hold off on shooting if it even LOOKS like the perp is going to head for the tall grass.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm glad it looks like he will be acquitted but even NY should be ashamed of him being charged.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    Even if exonerated, his defense against the charges will cost him a fortune.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There have been many cases like this over the years. (Under different mayors). They have a ZERO TOLERANCE for guns PERIOD in NYC.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

If he would have shot thru the door, I believe it would have been a non Issue, but shooting him in the back while fleeing, I think he may have issues and will likely do time.

Exactly why I no longer am a resident of new york. sad to say he is not the first to face these kinds of charges after a self defense shooting in new york.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I hope it works out for him but anything in NYC wouldn't surprise me anymore.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I love a story with a happy ending. Sadly I don't this will be one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    What type of pellet gun gives off a flash? Why is there no mention of a hole were the gun was supposed to be fired?

I am thinking he best be having an attorney that can use fear for one of the perps turning and shooting him. After all, they did not find the gun that made the flash.
    RickyD likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    What type of pellet gun gives off a flash? Why is there no mention of a hole were the gun was supposed to be fired?

I am thinking he best be having an attorney that can use fear for one of the perps turning and shooting him. After all, they did not find the gun that made the flash.
    I was thinking the same thing. This story is lacking a lot of detail. Not enough facts to get a good read on it, although I tend to think that shooting someone in the back outside of the home in NY is not going to end well for the shooter.

Read the sensationalized story carefully.....he shot a fleeing suspect in the back who never gained entrance to his home. What threat was he protecting his family from at the time he shot?

There is no state in the nation where this would not be a crime (yes, even in Texas, because nothing tangible of material value was taken.) Not only was the DA likely correct in bringing charges (based solely on the hyped story we have as "facts") but the shooter will likely be found guilty because.....he is.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    IMHO, the laws are too strict on responses to armed thugs. Geez, can a thug empty his gun on you, then take a time out by turning his back to you to reload???? It's almost that standard.

the standard SHOULD be, if a perp initiates armed violence like that, you should have a right to engage and respond with full force within a more reasonable time and distance.

Things can happen so fast, a thug can shoot, then turn his back in a split second to move off the X or look for cover to CONTINUE shooting YOU. So you are supposed to wait for them to take cover and fire at you again??? Should you be expected to fire one round and stop and assess if he's still facing you and firing at you? You could be fired on, then return fire and as you are, he turns his back on your 2nd round in a split second.

It's one thing if you chase the guy on foot or in your car for blocks or miles and nail him, its another when it all happens so fast in a few seconds in one continuous event, and especially if still on your property
    Azchief and Ghost1958 like this.

It doesn't sound good for the shooter. Probably screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Read the sensationalized story carefully.....he shot a fleeing suspect in the back who never gained entrance to his home. What threat was he protecting his family from at the time he shot?

There is no state in the nation where this would not be a crime (yes, even in Texas, because nothing tangible of material value was taken.) Not only was the DA likely correct in bringing charges (based solely on the hyped story we have as "facts") but the shooter will likely be found guilty because.....he is.
    My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately shooting someone in the back is a hard defense.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links