Witnessing another CHL holder use their weapon

This is a discussion on Witnessing another CHL holder use their weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious if anyone here has witnessed another CHL holder actually draw their weapon or even draw and fire their weapon in a defensive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Witnessing another CHL holder use their weapon

Witnessing another CHL holder use their weapon

I am curious if anyone here has witnessed another CHL holder actually draw their weapon or even draw and fire their weapon in a defensive situation? If so, what did you do or what would you do in that situation. Obviously there are a lot of variables that can come into play here. My first thought is to be a good witness and not intervene unless my proximity to the threat is such that it is putting me and my family in danger. It would also have to be VERY clear to me who the good guy and bad guy are in the situation.

On the flip side, I have thought about how other licensed carriers would react if I were to use my weapon. Would they read the situation correctly or would I be perceived as a threat and now face another person with a gun in another potentially deadly situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I love this video :)
    oneshot, jbum, GH and 11 others like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
    Obviously there are a lot of variables that can come into play here.
    Trying to figure out how to comment but the above keeps coming back to me as my only answer. Impossible to know what to respond without knowing all of the variables. So many different things might be happening and could happen. No good answer.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    If I had to use my weapon and end a situation and prolong my life I would do it.

The fact that I may have to deal with other armed people is a bridge I will cross when I come to it.

VIP Member
    Never been in that situation, but I'm going to be a good witness, unless I feel my safety is threatened.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    As more people carry, even though situations are rare, chances increase that those type situations will happen. Possibly friendly fire. And the media will go wild with it. And will ignore all the other lives saved by justifiable actions.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Fortunately (or unfortunately) most criminals don't want to attack their victim in well lit, populated places. While being attacked may be as likely as getting struck by lightening, being attacked as in the OP has to be considerably more rare.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Never seen it and pray I never do.

If it does happen, all of the same rules apply. The only reason to pull my own weapon and use it is if my life or the life of someone I love is in imminent danger. This possibly changes to include others ONLY if it is completely clear who the aggressor is (i.e. an active shooter randomly firing into a crowd, etc.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never been in that situation, but I'm going to be a good witness, unless I feel my safety is threatened.
    +1!
    gatorbait51 and dukalmighty like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

My grandfather years ago owned a small motel and grocery store in Arkansas. I remember he carried a old single action colt on his hip. He had a couple yahoos try and beak open his cigarette machine. They tried to drive away with the cash in it as well as the cigarettes it help. They were in a old pickup truck and tried to dive away.

He shot the front tire and called it in and they were picked up later. Not the best way to play it but he was a stubborn old guy and was not about to let someone steal from him. This was the early 60s.

just 'bout the action boss...

10 Million legal carriers?

Obviously, if another DC member sees this happen they will assess the situation correctly and assist you. And probably give you a high five after you tag team the BG.

Active shooter and two of you draw? He can't shoot you both at the same time, can he? I think that'll be ok in the end.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    You have until 6:00 to leave town.

Break your gun on a stump!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It will instantly become no man's land. Bullets flying everywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
    I am curious if anyone here has witnessed another CHL holder actually draw their weapon or even draw and fire their weapon in a defensive situation? ... On the flip side, I have thought about how other licensed carriers would react if I were to use my weapon. Would they read the situation correctly or would I be perceived as a threat and now face another person with a gun in another potentially deadly situation?
    I've never witnessed anyone draw a weapon and fire in a self-defense situation. The odds are very high that anyone will actually ever be in a draw and fire scenario, and the odds must be extremely high that another CHL holder will be in the same situation.

My philosophy is to defend myself and my loved ones from grave, imminent danger in any way possible. I will not be worrying about another CHL holder posing a threat. In the absence of grave, imminent danger to myself or others, I will not draw and fire, but will get to safety, call 911, and be a good witness.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Good question. I guess as I see it, if I actually have to draw a weapon, the situation is so dire that the possibility of such a complication takes a backseat. Yet another good reason not to draw unless absolutely necessary.

I suppose if another CC'er decides I'm a threat, one way or another the end result will probably be one less CC'er, but at least our average shooting skill will improve.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I've thought about this a lot since florida has reached over 1 million permits. That averages out to about 1 in 20 people is armed so more than likely wherever i am there is another person carrying. I feel that if it happened i would hope to see the whole situation as it unfolded to assess it properly what i am more worried about is walking into a situation after somebody has already drawn because then it would be harder to assess who the BG actually is all you can do is take someones word for it and hope a witness can tell you what i going on. In that situation i would not react unless directly threatened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links