"black box" camera for a home defense weapon?

This is a discussion on "black box" camera for a home defense weapon? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The technology exists; what if you had a camera attached to your gun, so that you could activate it at the touch of a button ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: "black box" camera for a home defense weapon?

"black box" camera for a home defense weapon?

The technology exists; what if you had a camera attached to your gun, so that you could activate it at the touch of a button as soon as you draw it.

God forbid the government to require such technology, but for legal protection - would you find this useful?

The thought just occurred to me; if I were placed in a situation where I had to fire, I would LOVE to be able to have footage from my point of view showing that I had no choice but to use lethal force.
    DingBat likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Or it could show (with the help of a slick attorney) that you DIDN'T have to shoot. Double edged sword, I think.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Or it could show (with the help of a slick attorney) that you DIDN'T have to shoot. Double edged sword, I think.
    Thank you Brad. Nough said.
    Gearhead likes this.

On the weapon is one thing. Can have similar utility as LE 'dash' cams.

On the body is another. Can provide mobile utility in the events leading up to any need to draw/defend.

And on the home is yet another. Can similarly provide utility in recording the events leading up to a situation, showing clear motive, intent, actions, forcible entry, number/size/look of the perp(s), and so on.

I'm for all three, funds and space allowing.

Given that it could indeed be a double-edged sword for those who engage in unreasonable acts, the reasonable shouldn't feel too at-risk by taking such steps. No guarantees, of course. If anything else, it's yet another reason to get it right and keep your wits about you. Can provide a witness when others don't exist, no matter what else can be said.
    DingBat likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    God forbid the government to require such technology, but for legal protection - would you find this useful?
    No, no at all
    elmacgyver0 and Gearhead like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Bad guy is dead. It's my word against his.
    CIBMike and Gearhead like this.

No thanks. The last thing I need is for a bunch of anti-gun ACLU-type lawyers sitting around a table and watching my gun camera footage and coming up with a lot of Monday-morning quarterback reasons of why I shouldn't have displayed so much hostility to the 3 Obama-supporters that were coming through my bedroom doorway at 2:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    Maybe. On both counts, given the double-edged potential for folks who get it wrong, or for those who meet up against a zealot DA with deeper pockets.
    BenGoodLuck and Gearhead like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd think a camera would be a bad idea. As Brad mentioned the video could sink you just as easily as help you. Perhaps I'm not as paranoid as some, but I have faith in my abilities to follow the law. I just dont. Absoloutly wont use my firearm unless I absoloutly have to when there is no other choice. But then thats how it should work anyway.
    BenGoodLuck and CWOUSCG like this.

I don't think so.

A lot of what is going to be focused on in court is the events that happen before you felt your need to draw your firearm. None of that would be recorded by the technology you describe.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I sort of don't like my handguns decorated. That goes for cameras, laser sights, extended mags, rail lights, two tone
    colors, "duracoat," and just about anything the manufacturer doesn't put on it NIB. JMO.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

No gun cameras for me.
    Hopyard likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Prosecutors and ACLU attorneys will LOVE it!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    oh, is he? yu know the VAST majority of folks shot with handguns survive? do you KNOW your shots will be lethal? do you plan on pumping so many rounds into him you KNOW he will die? seems that could lead to legal troubles...?

Sounds like you may be shooting to kill, not shooting to stop an attack, again, legal issues.

it's dangerous thinking to ASSUME any scenario will play out in any given manner.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

given that we have the 5th Amendment and it's your recording, you could choose to release it only if it served your best interest (and of course after review by YOUR counsel).

but I'm now thinking of a different angle that isn't so positive. say a perp clearly intends to kill you, says he's going to kill you and rape your mother, racks the slide and aims straight at you. you fire 2-3 rounds. then the video shows blood spurting out of an artery, gore splattered everywhere, and the perp screaming for his mommy, etc. because in real life bullets tend not to instantly kill people as they do in movies and a reasonable home defender won't empty an entire magazine into a person's head once they're down. juries can be swung by emotion and certainly the media would jump all over the "inhumane" death, instead of the fact that your life was a second away from being violently and criminally terminated.
    DingBat likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links