Scenario with Neighbor

This is a discussion on Scenario with Neighbor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are working in your hard and your next door neighbor is out with their Chow off leash. The Chow has a history of aggressive ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Scenario with Neighbor

Scenario with Neighbor

You are working in your hard and your next door neighbor is out with their Chow off leash. The Chow has a history of aggressive behavior (barking, chasing kids, etc). The dog barks and seems fixaded on you. You ask the owner to put the Chow away or put it on a leash. The owner ignores you and says "she won't hurt anyone".

The dog leaves her driveway and comes into your hard, halfway between you and her driveway. Barking and showing interest.....

Do you draw your weapon to motivate the owner to put the dog away?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You're not at risk at that point, so no- you do not draw. Your gun is not a tool to intimidate people into doing what you want them to do... it should not leave the holster until you are at immediate risk of death or great bodily injury.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

i wouldnt. but i have a tendency to do everything i can to not shoot a dog. if it charges i would try my best just to boot it a good one.
    tdave, RichB70 and WannabeaCPA like this.

New Member Array Daveditchdigger's Avatar
    never draw until you are going to fire

It really depdneds on the state ... Some have a a rule where you the owner have to know the dog is a issue or the such.. It is complicated ...

Really for me unless said dog is about to take a chunk out of me the gun is not coming out .. A big stick or OC spray maybe ..

Also by the this point one hopes that AC and the cops have papper work on this idot so when you or someone caps the dog that you can say look this was going to happen one way or or the other ..

In AZ last I loked it is a felony if you dog attackes someone ( or for that matter I think another dog ) ..

Also "Do you draw your weapon to motivate the owner to put the dog away? " sounds a lot like threating assult with a deadly weapon or brandshing to me .. No way in heck a gun is comeing out just to " motivate " someone to do somthing unless that someone is a mugger etc ...

So yeah as other said unless you are about to have your body parts torn up .. Go inside call animal control about a dangrous off lesh dog and maybe have a talk with that idots ( showing him the laws etc on how much trouble he is in if anyhting happens.. You can be on the hook for a lot of money if you dog hurts someone or another animal in many place here inculdeidng this can be a good motivater to keep your mut under coontrol
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

unholster....... the bear spray...

Changing the animal's mind will be easier than the human's.

VIP Member
    It happens to me the numb nuts that lives next to me don't think his dogs needs a leash . Dog approaches and growls i step back to block my wife and son waiting for the dog to bite and the guy comes gets it out of my yard by my front door .

This is the same guy that has said he is going to assult me . This guy is trouble and i don't deal with him other then with the police .
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by DanDglassman View Post
    unholster....... the bear spray...

Changing the animal's mind will be easier than the human's.

Just dont use Mace it wont do jack to a dog or for that matter a horse ( no tear glands ) OC spray to face though ......
    GentlemanJim likes this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by sdgull View Post
    You are working in your hard and your next door neighbor is out with their Chow off leash. The Chow has a history of aggressive behavior (barking, chasing kids, etc). The dog barks and seems fixaded on you. You ask the owner to put the Chow away or put it on a leash. The owner ignores you and says "she won't hurt anyone".

The dog leaves her driveway and comes into your hard, halfway between you and her driveway. Barking and showing interest.....

Is this a trick question? So, I understand that you brandish a weapon to intimidate someone. err..NO
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Is this a trick question? So, I understand that you brandish a weapon to intimidate someone. err..NO
    Otherwise know as the godfather style of asking a question .....
    tdave likes this.

I'm glad I asked before I went out on this nice day and did some yard work :-)

I will stay inside and take a nap instead.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can take a chow by hand, the gun is reserved for the neighbor.

Unless you want a ongoing dispute with the neighbor, research the dog leash laws for your state/city and print a copy. Sometimes leash laws don't apply on one's personal property. If the neighbor continues to let the dog run loose illegally, give him a copy and let Animal Control take it from there.
    tdave, WHEC724 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    The owner would have a couple of choices. He can get the dog off of my property,or i call 911..If the dog charges me on my property,he is going to the dirt hotel.

I have talked to the police chief in my town about dogs in general,because a bull dog chased me out on the street one day last year and he almost got shot. I consider an aggressive dog no different than an aggressive person and we do have a leash law.
    tdave and BenGoodLuck like this.

thats a better idea 'gull... otherwise you're asking for trouble that could be avoided.

Me? I'd Blast a can of OC into the dogs face and call the police long before a firearm ever becomes involved... if time permits, snap a cellphone pic of the dog being aggressive on your property off leash.

Dont forget though, Chows are the #1 breed in the US for dog bites/attacks. It's hard to trust ANY animal.. but dont trust a chow as far as you can throw it. Which aint very far folks..
    tdave likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgull View Post

A chow can charge at a speed of around 30 ft/sec. Do the math, act accordingly.
    tdave, BenGoodLuck and Dockterp like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links