Sunday afternoon parking lot rage

This is a discussion on Sunday afternoon parking lot rage within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this site but I have been a CCW holder in FL for about 5 years now. First a little background I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Sunday afternoon parking lot rage

I'm new to this site but I have been a CCW holder in FL for about 5 years now. First a little background I have found that since I started carrying that I will do everything within my power to avoid or not escalate a situation. Living in sunny South Florida it can get frustrating driving around in the winter time when the Snow Birds are down but I have learned to just ignore the poor driving decisions of others and to remain calm.

Well this past sunday we went out to do our weekly trip to the grocery store, my wife normally goes on Friday night or Saturday morning but we had things planned on Friday and Saturday we had a banquet for a local non profit so Sunday it was. We loaded up our 2 daughters (5 & 9 years old) and headed to the main grocery store chain in FL. It was early afternoon when we arrived there and as usual the place was packed! As I'm turning down a lane in the parking lot I see an older car start to back out almost into me so I give the horn a very quick beep just to keep this guy from backing into my new truck. As it was a nice day I had my windows down and I could hear the driver really yelling after I blow the horn. So I decided to drive to the end of the row before parking, I even comment to the wife what's he's issue did he want me to just let him back into me?

So I park get out and open the back door and get my oldest out just then this guy in the older car comes pulling up just past my bumper and stops very quickly I tell my oldest daughter to stop just stay beside the truck my wife has already exited the vehicle and was picking up our sleeping 5 year old from her car seat. I see this and move around the back of the truck to my wife's side of the vehicle basically putting myself between my family and this guy. He throws the door open and jumps out of the car (keep in mind while it sould like this took a while it really only took a couple seconds and by the time he put the car in park he was out) and I can tell right away by the look on his face he looks very agitated he starts out loudly going "Dude" but then stops and quickly changes his tone and comes up with what sounds like a totally BS story about how he's a local firefighter and can I give him some money as he's broke and needs gas money. So I don't know what happened if he saw my NRA life member, USPSA, ADSI, stickers on the back window (I know some don't like advertising but I want people to see that I'm a normal professional family man and a gun owner) that I had more than myself in the car and kids or that I had moved to put myself between him and my family but his attitude and facial expression changed big time. I told the guy I didn't carry cash on me and backed away with the family. I never had to pull my firearm.

I'm very happy that this turned out the way it did and that for whatever reason it stopped before it became a real issue. I was a very weird feeling it seemed to happen in slow motion and I really didn't even seem to think about what I was doing it just came naturally I wasn't scared or nervous I just knew that this guy wasn't happy and I had to put myself between him and the family.

So I guess the moral of the story is we never know what's going to happen, when and where, this was in a pretty nice upper scale part of town, middle of the day with tons of people walking all around so you need to be prepared at all times. My wife used to say we are just running down to the store do you really thing you'll need your gun and I would say no I never think I'll need it but I also don't know when I will. My wife has a CCW as well but she doesn't carry all the time, this woke her up and she is now looking at other ways to carry besides a purse as this was the last thing she ever expected. I feel any time I can get out of a situation without violence or pulling a firearm it's a huge win but I sure was glad I had the option if I needed it as I have some pretty big knee issues so there was really no way I could go toe to toe with this guy who was at least 20 years my junior.

Glad it turned out to be a non-event. You just never know. Many'a "quick trips" to the store have changed people's lives forever and also ended them. Anytime, anywhere.
    gatorbait51, mano3 and StormRhydr like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Anytime. Anywhere.

You never know when someone's going to feel self-righteous enough, or felonious enough, to blow sideways on you. Sounds like the guy equated the sound of a brief warning horn with outright unjustifiable disrespect of him, then felt it his duty to assault you. Glad he wised up before going too far, or coming too close.

Good example of how vital it can be to maintain a good appreciation of our surroundings, and the changes that can occur from moment to moment.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've been in Florida 2 years...and road rage seems more common than alligators. Crazy.
    Powpig2002 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the welcomes, yea I was really kind of surprised how quickly our day went from just out shopping on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to this. I can only assume that this guy does perhaps hang out and asks for money as well because of how quickly he went from being aggressive and pissed off to asking me for money. I mean he went from jumping out of the car throwing the door open and saying in a very loud voice "HEY DUDE" to stopping and then saying "I'm a local firefighter and I don't have any money and I need gas money can you help me out". Who know perhaps he was hoping I would pull out my wallet, get closer to him and be distracted I don't know.

I did leave out that as we walked a way he continued hanging out and my wife said he's still near the truck, I said let's just go inside the store and we can watch him from inside if he does anything we will call the Sheriff's Office I'm not going to confront this guy lets just see what happens. I don't know what he was doing but he got in his car and left after a few and my truck was fine. I figured get everyone to relative safety and just keep an eye on him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Is Joe Biden in Florida?
    ETXhiker and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The world is full of idiots and I'm glad I don't fall into that category.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In the US, the horn is totally misinterpreted, and makes people act outrageous. It is like fingernails on the chalkboard to those who don't know how to deal with stress already in this country.

I'm not saying you did wrong because you didn't. I'm just reiterating that you never know what people will make out of a simple, non-offensive action.

My uncle used to have a horn that would play looney tunes. That might be an option so that people don't lose their minds when they hear the sound.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    You have until 6:00 to leave town.

Break your gun on a stump!

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRider View Post
    In the US, the horn is totally misinterpreted, and makes people act outrageous. It is like fingernails on the chalkboard to those who don't know how to deal with stress already in this country.

I'm not saying you did wrong because you didn't. I'm just reiterating that you never know what people will make out of a simple, non-offensive action.

My uncle used to have a horn that would play looney tunes. That might be an option so that people don't lose their minds when they hear the sound.
    To be honest I have really limited my horn usage just for that reason, a couple of weeks ago I had a lady with out of state tags pull out right in front of me on a main 45 mph road I had to slam on the brakes and hit the horn. Her response give me the finger, I guess she would have been happier had I plowed into her with my truck. In fact normally I would have stopped and let this guy back out had I not had someone right on my tail and been a little further back when he started backing out. I know it can be very stressful driving around down here this time of year but give me a break.
    Chasejax and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from NC. I'm going to beep somebody if they are fixin to smack my truck. Go back to drivers Ed if you don't understand the use of a horn. Geesh.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRider View Post
    And outside the US it isn't? Haven't been to Italy (or most other countries), have you?
    RemMod597 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Florida drivers seem to not realize the purpose of the left lane. See the left lane is not the average lane nor is it to be referred to as the "fast lane". The left lane is a PASSING lane. You do NOT drive in the left lane unless you are using it to PASS another motorist. When you drive in the left lane, and people are coming up behind you, GET OVER, as you are in the PASSING LANE and shouldnt be.
    Your license should be revoked.

Glad ur situation turned out good, family first and keep out of the passing lane unless your doing exactly that.

Also, most people misuse the horn and get angry with it. See I would take a guess that 99.9999999% of automobile accidents happen ON ACCIDENT. if someone cuts you off or almost hits you, they are human and chances are great that it was an accident. The horn doesnt need to be laid on for 30 seconds if someone cuts you off or nearly hits you etc etc yada yada. (Not saying the OP did which clearly he states he didn't, im just rambling).

So yeah, a simple toot of the horn is sufficient and stay OUTTA THE PASSING LANE!!!!!

I am happy it turned out OK for the OP. I too am an NRA Life member, but a bit cautious about advertising it, since most everyone in my area are armed, and you never know when you'll tick someone off. My NRA decal is still on the back window of my pickup, but in the lower corner where it's "shadowed" by the back seat headrest. While I'm very proud of the NRA and what it does and stands for, I don't want some redneck breaking into the truck to see if he can steal a firearm. Nor do damage to the vehicle, just because he doesn't agree with the NRA policies.

NRA Life Member
    Retired Military

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The only thing I might have done differently is try to draw him away from my family rather than put them behind the guys primary target. I know it's natural to try to shield them but if it comes to bullets your body isn't very good cover.

Things like that can happen pretty fast though, even if your awareness isn't lacking.

My in laws moved to gulf shores when they retired ( a snow bird from michigan) usually the fastest dang drivers in bad weather...however i started to notice that he got peeved at anyone not acting gentlemanly all the time. He said he moved here for retirement , peace and quiet and a slow pace of life and others were not cooperating. I asked why move to a tourist area for peace and quiet he replied he was there first ...
    As he got older he figured hed paid his dues and now orhers owed him, he died a year later of cancer that he kept from everyone for 5 yrs. basically was scared and took out his fears and frustrations on others.
    You never know what drives a person.
    I had a great couple that were at everyone of my band's shows for over 2 yrs. (we gigged 3-4 times a month)Life of the party everyone loved chuck till he blew his girlfriends head off in the walmart parking lot at noon.
    It really floored us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links