Gun in a movie theatre

This is a discussion on Gun in a movie theatre within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps this is the wrong section, but I wanted to share this short story with you guys. About a month ago, I was at the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Gun in a movie theatre

Gun in a movie theatre

Perhaps this is the wrong section, but I wanted to share this short story with you guys. About a month ago, I was at the movie theatre in the lobby waiting for my movie to start. It was a friday night so it was very busy, I'd guess there were maybe 100 people or so. This guy walks past me, and im not sure what his malfunction was, but he dropped his gun, very dramatically, in the middle of the lobby. The gun landed on the floor about ten feet in front of him, and he walked right over and picked it up like nothing ever happened. The part that kinda took me back, was that myself and one other person are the only people that seemed to noticed. The other lady was absolutely outraged by the incident, and I was just surprized at how he could have been so careless. I'd love to hear anyone elses stories of blatent carelessness of a firearm they've witnessed in public.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Things I drop usually land at my feet. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've never seen anything like that. No excuses for stupid stuff like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and Secret Spuk like this.

He obviously wasn't using a decent holster. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

That's why i added he dramatically dropped it, haha. He fumbled it and kinda tossed it in front of him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesseyuh View Post
    That's why i added he dramatically dropped it, haha. He fumbled it and kinda tossed it in front of him.
    Double Fail.

I've dropped a firearm once while I was in the process of holstering up at home. I was surprised that I was able to refrain from trying to catch it.

If he can't handle the gun with no adversity, how in the world could he handle it in a darkened theater in a crowd of 100 or so people to be effective in taking out a BG ? I know a lot of people will say the CC is not for the theater but for the parking lot, in which case why was he handling it (assuming he was)?

I've carried in theaters the gun(s) only came out when I went potty and that did not involve display or drop.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    I haven't had any experiences with blatant carelessness in public, but the guy is lucky no one called the police. What are PA laws regarding exposure of a concealed handgun? In Texas, the exposure has to be intentional for the person to face criminal charges.
    tdave and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member
    I can see a drop while holstering or unholstering, but randomly walking through a theatre? And, having it land 10 feet away, really? That requires a kick or a toss. There is NEVER a reason to be 'playing' with a gun, especially in a crowded public place.

I can't exactly claim to be Mr Graceful, but I honestly don't see how this happens unintentionally. This is either gross negligence or this guy was looking for attention. Either way it is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I know a lot of people will say the CC is not for the theater but for the parking lot
    Touchy subject in this part of Colorado. The Aurora theater shooting is what convinced my wife to get her permit.

Guys, this is why 'Mexican carry' is such a terrible idea. Wonder if he was using a holster, period.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I dropped my Glock 19 once and kicked it across the street in front of me when I tried to pick it up on the run.

It was a little embarrassing and I thought my fat old supervisor was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

To give a little context my supervisor told me to go back to my car and get the shotgun. I holstered the Glock and thought I got the thumb break secured but when I turned to sprint across the street I found out otherwise. I wasn't a rookie either.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    If he can't handle the gun with no adversity, how in the world could he handle it in a darkened theater in a crowd of 100 or so people to be effective in taking out a BG ? I know a lot of people will say the CC is not for the theater but for the parking lot, in which case why was he handling it (assuming he was)?
    Why is the theater any different than any other place? I carried into the movie theater to see Mr Peabody and Sherman (kids movie) Saturday night with my son; just like I do every other time I ever go to the movies. We never no when or where there will be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Why is the theater any different than any other place? I carried into the movie theater to see Mr Peabody and Sherman (kids movie) Saturday night with my son; just like I do every other time I ever go to the movies. We never no when or where there will be trouble.
    You are right about not knowing where trouble is coming from, but I for one would think twice about shooting at someone in a dark crowded movie theater. There are too many places for the rounds to go where they are not intended. To each his own.
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.

Why do you guys always jump on stupid? Have you never fumbled anything before? Even world class quarterbacks fumble....
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links