Using Your Car Horn- Does it Escalate A Potential Situation?

This is a discussion on Using Your Car Horn- Does it Escalate A Potential Situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, In view of some recent threads, I propose a focused discussion on the use of a car horn and whether it is a reasonable ...

View Poll Results: How you view your car horn?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • The potential of bad things happening outway the benefits- I never use my horn for any purpose.

7 6.54%
  • I use it only for polite beeps, like alerting somebody to a green light, or that I am in their blind spot.

53 49.53%
  • I think using your horn is an appropriate response to say "Hey Knucklehead- You almost ran into me!"

30 28.04%
  • I use my horn whenever I fell like it- No legal issues with doing so.

8 7.48%
  • None of the above / Other - Please comment.

9 8.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Using Your Car Horn- Does it Escalate A Potential Situation?

Greetings,

In view of some recent threads, I propose a focused discussion on the use of a car horn and whether it is a reasonable response or an escalative response to the actions of another person.

Respond to the poll and comment below.

Thanks,

.455_Hunter
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    It could. Just depends upon the situation. And the poll isn't there by the way.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    There was a thread a few years back maybe here or AR-15. It talked about taking your keyless remote to bed with you set it on your night stand. If you hear something ( possible break in ) you can push the panic button from your bedroom and most of the time it will sound off. There may be other situations. But I do not think in those cases it would escalate the situation rather it may be an alternative.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Could it potentially escalate a situation? Yes.

Will I use my horn if the situation warrants it? Yes.

The State of Indiana requires my vehicle to have a functioning horn. They must want me to use it.

Never can be escalating or causing anything, if used legitimately as the safety device it is. Ever. It's a warning device, nothing more. Though, of course, some will misconstrue it as that merely because some abuse the tool.

Always can be construed as escalating, if used illegitimately in retaliation in lieu of striking or otherwise lashing out at the person for perceived slights, guilt in some behavior, or outright stupidity. Used in this manner, it's potentially every bit as harming as "fighting words" or assault, and can absolutely be seen as pumping up the volume unjustifiably.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 11th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry- It's up now. I did not realize the thread went "live" before I entered the options...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member

I use it only for polite beeps, like alerting somebody to a green light, or that I am in their blind spot.
    I only use mine to alert someone that I am there. I won't beep at a light, I'm not in so big of a hurry that I can't wait for them to move.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How long do you sit there while they are staring into their lap at their phone?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I only use mine to alert someone that I am there. I won't beep at a light, I'm not in so big of a hurry that I can't wait for them to move.
    Parrisk, tdave, locotest and 2 others like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Heck yeah i'll use my horn. To alert someone who might be backing into me, coming into my lane etc.... That is de-escalating an accident. Will i lay on the horn after the fact and flip someone off? maybe LOL. but that might be escalation ;)
    gatorbait51 and Xader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    One time Bear and She Bear were out trucking around this country and we were stopped at a red light behind one car, the light turned green and Bear waited patiently for the car to move until the light turned red once again. Light turns green a second time and Bear waits not so patiently until the light turns red once more. The second the light turns green for the third time Bear lays on the air horn until the car's driver finally wakes up and goes through the light. This was before cell phones, Bear thinks the driver just fell asleep.

I'll honk when I need to. That is rare, but sometimes other drivers need to be told that they are driving like jerks or morons.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    How long do you sit there while they are staring into their lap at their phone?
    I've set through several lights before. Normally someone behind me will start laying on their horn as soon as the light changes, so I have no need to.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Me thinks if a horn could escalate a potential situation, then that situation is going to happen soon anyways, just a fuse waiting for any kind of flame..

funny.. at least to me..
    Germany while in the military, 3 am, pouring rain, wife wakes me away from Shania in a hayloft.. "do you hear that horn beeping, it's been going like that for over an hour"
    I listen and can hear a cheap-o alarm sounding the car's horn.. honk...honk..honk...honk.. etc.. I didn't hear that in hayloft, but know I can't go to sleep.
    I toss on some sweatpants, boots and a jacket. Head out into the cold turrent of rain.. a line of cars parallel parked on the hill with a small river flowing under them.
    No other fool is outside, no lights on, no curtains moving, and nothing wrong with this car except the alarm won't stop.
    I head back in and the wife tells me to do something, other than sleep or molest her, guess our minds worked differently.
    I head back out into the street and nothing has changed...
    I laid in the mini-river, reached up between the bumper and radiator and when I felt a wire I YANKED.. third try the horn went silent and I got to go home, dry off and goto sleep.
    Never saw that car in the neighborhood again, or I might have... appologized
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    There is nothing illegal or even wrong with using your horn, but the practice varies by region. In St. Louis hardly anyone even beeps if you're asleep at a light. I was duty driver with a guy from the Bronx, and he laid on the horn practically the whole time he was behind the wheel. I think, just like anything else, you just have to be extra polite and judicious if you do it while armed. There are stupid people out there.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I don't use the horn too ofted but I have recently to stop some idiot from backing into me. He didn't like it because ir scared him. I told him, better than banging up my truck. Hadley air horns are loud, scary for some.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links