Father of the Year - Not

This is a discussion on Father of the Year - Not within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driving back from lunch today ran across a real crazy. The driver was in a full size white extended cab Chevy. Something I did must ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Father of the Year - Not

VIP Member

Father of the Year - Not

Driving back from lunch today ran across a real crazy. The driver was in a full size white extended cab Chevy. Something I did must have offended him or set him off in some way. The other vehicle followed me thru a turn light cutting off oncoming traffic. The driver is honking, tailgating, and gesturing wildly. I can see in the rear view the guy is losing it.

I choose to divert from my destination and turned off on a less frequently used road. It is all semi-rural anyway. He followed and cut slightly in front of my vehicle at a stop sign and rolls the window down. I could only see one of his hands and small movement in the back of the truck. He is cussing and flipping me off screaming about how I endangered his 2 year old in the back. Really? I kinda figured it was his driving, screaming, cussing, and gestures that did that.

Had my weapon hidden should things go south. Told him the issue whatever it was was his problem. Suggested he drive on and have a nice day. He was the typical middle aged white male driving the big truck in his suit, never hauls anything. Just worked himself up into a frenzy. Never did find out what the issue was and couldn't have cared anyway.

Really feel sorry for the child growing up with that kind of person for a father. The child is in for some tough times. Reminds me of why I carry. Seem to run across these types every 10 years or so.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Driving back from lunch today ran across a real crazy. The driver was in a full size white extended cab Chevy. Something I did must have offended him or set him off in some way. The other vehicle followed me thru a turn light cutting off oncoming traffic. The driver is honking, tailgating, and gesturing wildly. I can see in the rear view the guy is losing it.

I choose to divert from my destination and turned off on a less frequently used road. It is all semi-rural anyway. He followed and cut slightly in front of my vehicle at a stop sign and rolls the window down. I could only see one of his hands and small movement in the back of the truck. He is cussing and flipping me off screaming about how I endangered his 2 year old in the back. Really? I kinda figured it was his driving, screaming, cussing, and gestures that did that.

Had my weapon hidden should things go south. Told him the issue whatever it was was his problem. Suggested he drive on and have a nice day. He was the typical middle aged white male driving the big truck in his suit, never hauls anything. Just worked himself up into a frenzy. Never did find out what the issue was and couldn't have cared anyway.

Really feel sorry for the child growing up with that kind of person for a father. The child is in for some tough times. Reminds me of why I carry. Seem to run across these types every 10 years or so.
    This guy is lucky you are who you are. How does he know that you are not an escaped convict, car jacker, gang banger or some other loser. He put his child in more danger confronting you than anything you could have done to him.

these days you will meet many butt heads. it does not pay to act like this. this type of action will get you shot these days. you just don't know whom is in the other vehicle.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Something like this happened just north of where I live, except that the crazy nut job hopped out of his truck and fatally shot the guy he ran off the road. They still haven't caught him.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Glad things went OK ctr. You are not alone. I also run into these types about every ten years or so. I think it has to do with people being raised and never being punished or having to face the consequences of their actions. I was raised to fear my God, my parents, my teachers and the police. That kept me out of most trouble--not all , but most.
    ctr, gatorbait51 and oldnfat like this.

How sad. One can only guess what else the child regularly witnesses. I'd bet that type of behavior isn't limited to just when in the vehicle. It always ticks me off when somebody flips out on me on the road when they have kids in the car. Not exactly the best example to set...
    BenGoodLuck, gatorbait51 and ctr like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It is sad, what did he gain from all of this? The only think I can determine is he reinforced bad behavior (I'm trying to be nice with the selection of this word) to his child Kids learn from their parents, good or bad, and often repeat these types of situations as they get older.
    BenGoodLuck, gatorbait51 and ctr like this.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Did you consider calling the police during or after?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wow what a wacko. You handled it well and your kids will definitely grow up better than his. People - they confuse me. Guns are so much easier to understand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    I would have called 911 when he began following me, then drove toward the nearest law enforcement office. Stay on the phone and relate everything happening so there is a record of events. Do not stop or do anything to escalate the situation. Give dispatch the description and tag number of the vehicle, driver description, number of occupants, and direction of travel.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I would have called 911 when he began following me, then drove toward the nearest law enforcement office. Stay on the phone and relate everything happening so there is a record of events. Do not stop or do anything to escalate the situation. Give dispatch the description and tag number of the vehicle, driver description, number of occupants, and direction of travel.
    +1! Instead of turning off onto a "a less frequently used road", stay in as public an area as possible and either call 911 or drive to the nearest police station.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Plus 1
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    That works well in urban areas but I was at least a good 20 country miles from the Sheriffs office. I also didn't want the situation to turn into a speeding chase or vehicle contact situation. Took the best option available among those available.
    oneshot likes this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Did you consider calling the police during or after?
    Wished I had gotten the plate number but was most concerned with disengaging from the situation. Had my hands full at the time. Otherwise there wasn't any real information to report. Angry white guy in white truck - felt it would have been a waste of leo time.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    This is what you do--no talking, no reasoning, no nothing. You are dealing with who the heck knows what. You are in your car--keep moving, get away--your car is probably a better friend than your firearm. Do as oldnfat says.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links