Night Sights or Not???.

Night Sights or Not???.

This is a discussion on Night Sights or Not???. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a beautiful Springfield XDS .45 ACP with a 3.3" barrel and standard sites. This will be my primary EDC now. I had grown ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Night Sights or Not???.

Night Sights or Not???.

Just bought a beautiful Springfield XDS .45 ACP with a 3.3" barrel and standard sites. This will be my primary EDC now. I had grown accustomed to my night sites on my Glock G35 Gen 4 and love the way they are ALWAYS lit up no matter what time I wake and glance over at the night stand.

So, I would like to get some installed on my new XDS. While talking to a very close friend who is also an LEO to schedule the install he said something that makes complete sense to me. First of all, he agreed to do the work for me and also feels night sites are preferable. However, what he said made me think and feel a lot better about the standard sites for the time being.

We all know that a SD situation at in which I draw and fire will likely be at a distance of less then 7 feet. The chance of me even being able to utilize night sites is highly unlikely given the close proximity and urgency to fire.

What are your thoughts wise forum members?

If a primary reason for getting sights like you had before is because they worked very well for you I would say go for it.

If another reason is because like me (61) I have trouble with clear sights AND clear target all lined up at same time I would say go for it.
    My next EDC gun has to have a mounted laser. HAS TO.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    With that logic you could argue we shouldn't have sights on our guns at all. But I don't plan for the most likely situation, I plan for the worst case scenario. Thus I'll keep sights on top of the slide.

As far as night sights- in reality if there's enough light to identify the target you should be able to see the sights outside of some specific situations. Thus I'm pretty indifferent. Some guns I own have them, others do not. If you like them, get them.
    Longstreet likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I don't have night sights on all my guns, but I have them on my primary EDC, which is a Kimber Custom TLE II, and I love them. I also have them on the new Sig P238 I purchased yesterday and that was one of the features I really liked about the gun. For one thing, I'd rather have them and not need them than not have them and need them sometime! An old cliché, but true. Also, as I've aged and the eyes have lost some of their acuity, I find it easier to line up 3 bright dots than to precisely line up a black post in a u-shaped notch, all level on top and with equal amounts of space on either side! That's the reason I had to give of IHMSA silhouette shooting several years ago. Couldn't see the belly line of the rams at 200 meters any longer.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Your front sight is the most important reference point in aiming that individual usually has. A front night-sight speeds up the process of sight accusation in low light/dim/darkened environment. My preference is a 10-8 front night-sight and a plain "U" notch rear-sight. Averages are what they are and may not be the distance that you've specified which is a nettlesome aspect.

I dont have them on our guns and Echo4 makes a good point that usually if there is enough light to see to shoot you can pick up the sights. Usually.

That said they wont hurt anything and in specific instances could be a big help. I dont sweat not having them but if someone were to give me a set or I had extra cash above other gun related things Im working on right now I probably would get them as my eye sight is not what it used to be.
    JDE101 and hienykins like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

In discussions of things that gun owners needlessly spend money on, my usual #1 answer is holsters. My #2 answer is night sights. The number of times they will be less useful than standard sights is greater than the number of times you might benefit from them. I don't prefer them on any of my guns.

I prefer night sights on most firearms that I would carry, even my SP101 has a front night sight. It's better to have them and not need them...
    Night sights, even just that front sight can be a real aid in low/no light situations for that point shooting experience.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've always had night sights on my carry pistols when I bought them, or I had them added. If you've ever drawn your weapon in less than ideal situations (little to no light) and tried to line up your sights, you'd agree that they're not just "nice to have" and certainly not a waste of money. Most law enforcement officers I'd wager have night sights on their guns, and it's because they're extremely useful in acquiring that sight picture. Granted your night vision will be shot after the first round, but I'd rather hit what I'm aiming at with the first shot wouldn't you? Bottom line - if you can't see your front sight, you're just guessing where that rounds going.
    USM1976 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

At the now defunct Chapman Academy (RIP) we shot a night exercise in which you were sitting in a pick-up with the lights on.When the whistle blew you jumped out of the truck and fired at Metal poppers about a yard in front of the truck. Do that and you will NEVER be without night sights.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member
    As I read through the posts I see lots of reasons to have night sights and not one reason not to have them (other than cost). So what's to think about?
    Ianthin likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I would rather have contrast sights.

2014-03-12_214547.jpg

I really want a set of XS Big Dot on my Ruger.
    molleur and Bigmac31391 like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I just got truglo TFO's. wow, a nice easy to see glow in the dark. You know best since u are familiar w/ night sights already.

why wouldn't you get them? They are only going to help you be on target whether you are consciously using them or not in a close range hurried situation. Your vision would be picking them up regardless.
    Last edited by CommonCents; March 13th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    Your front sight is the most important reference point in aiming that individual usually has. A front night-sight speeds up the process of sight accusation in low light/dim/darkened environment. My preference is a 10-8 front night-sight and a plain "U" notch rear-sight. Averages are what they are and may not be the distance that you've specified which is a nettlesome aspect.

Sight accusation is what I do when I have a bad few rounds at the range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links