I don't advocate warning shots, ever. But...

This is a discussion on I don't advocate warning shots, ever. But... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A warning shot worked, in this case: Police: Passer-by fired warning shot to end man's stabbing of wife | Crime | ADN.com This was posted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: I don't advocate warning shots, ever. But...

A warning shot worked, in this case:

Police: Passer-by fired warning shot to end man's stabbing of wife | Crime | ADN.com

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My "warning" shots are aimed!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar

When I do, it would be dos close to the noggin'

The Most Interesting Marksman in the World
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I don't advocate warning shots either but it did work here. Every time I hear/read about shooting into the air, I'm reminded about a book we read in school and had to a write a report on. I forget the name but it involved two kids shooting a rifle into the air and the bullet came down to hit and kill a guy working on his roof.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I agree with the others, there would have been no warning shots. Weapons free on this guy. That bullet will come back down, and he's lucky it didn't hit anyone.
    BenGoodLuck and nortelrye like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    This case is much trickier in person in real time. It's easy to monday morning quarterback these things. You see someone stabbing a female, it aint easy taking on a knife wielding perp with your hands (don't bring your hands to a knife fight). and it may not be prudent to take aim if he is tussling with the victim. Do you look around for a stick? pepper spray? Keep in mind this is happening in a split second w/ someone probably screaming being murdered in front of your eyes.

So a few of you guys are saying fire on the guy when he (assumed) is on top of the victim? and they may or may not be tussling? Lot's of details left out here, guess it depends on how close you are to him and how much separation there is between him and victim. Also, what's safer, firing into air or firing into ground, with potential ricochet.

tough call.
    tcox4freedom and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because of the obvious, I don't recommend warning shots, but sometimes that's all it takes to stop/prevent a felony.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Because of the increase in price of ammo. Warning shots will no longer be given.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

VIP Member
    I'm no advocate of warning shots at all, and not advocating it here, but shooting directly at the ground (soil) is not likely to ricochet, and shooting at the ground at a near right angle is extremely unlikely to ricochet. Rocky areas and concrete would be hazardous.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I dont think it was a warning shot. I think thats the way it was later classified.

Remember the movie "TOMBSTONE"? At the fight at the OK corral, Doc Holliday has a double barrel shotgun. There is a BG hiding behind a horse. Doc Holliday fires one shot off in the air, the horse bucks up, Doc Holliday then shoots the BG.

In the case at hand, you had a BG over a prone victim. I wouldnt have taken that shot either. Especially with over penetration concerns.

However, fire the shot, the BG changes position, THEN if he doesnt respond to firm verbal commands, hes like the BG and the horse. Hes in a position to be better shot.

I consider my warning shot a miss

Distinguished Member
    I'm all for warning shots... as long as they hit the target.

This story just doesn't provide enough details. Was there really no other way to get the 73 year old's attention?
    NewportReds likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I thought I was in the same camp as you ... but this is something I hadn't considered. If you don't have a safe target but too far for a shout to be effective? Maybe a warning shot could have a place in some situations. I'm interested to see where people with more experience than I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    My "warning" shots are aimed!
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Well, there was a feller in MI (IIRC) who fired his warning shot into the ground, to good effect.

I think, were I to fire a warning shot, that might be the most prudent option...

But then depending on locale, the ground might be sufficiently frozen solid to effect a ricochet.

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

A well aimes shot to this guys critical areas would have had the same effect, and the world would be better off. Warning shots serve no real purpose, ever.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links