House Robbery

House Robbery

This is a discussion on House Robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a true story that happened to us about 6 years ago. First we live in what most folks would consider the country, literally ...

Thread: House Robbery

House Robbery

This is a true story that happened to us about 6 years ago.

First we live in what most folks would consider the country, literally in Mayberry RFD, see my sig. I came home from running some errands in town and when I parked the truck at the rear of the house I could see somebody had pried the screen off the master bathroom window and the window was broken and opened. I also saw that my wife's car was parked in her parking spot. Because of her schedule I knew she must have just arrived home a few minutes prior.

Thoughts started to run through my mind, I pictured her walking in on a robbery and now the perp or perp's are raping her in the house or worse. Then came the adrenaline dump, something I had not felt since I lived outside LA and use to go on ride a longs with my buddy who was a LA County Deputy out of Firestone Park station (The Ghetto).

As always I was armed with my Glock 23, I drew my weapon and approached the house, after a visual inspection through the door I slowly opened the glass storm door and I could see why wife sitting on the couch watching TV, what a relief, but still in condition Orange. I put my index finger over my mouth and motioned her to exit the house. Once she was out of the hose I asked her where the kids were, they were both at a friends house. I gave her my cell and told her to call 911. I proceeded to clear the house and basement, luckily nobody was present.

55 min later the deputy arrived at my house. I go to church with many local deputies and at any given time there are only 4 units or less to protect a county that is 600 square miles. So don't expect a quick response time. Because there pay is less than $10.00 per hour, yes that's right, $10.00 per hour, many quit and go to work at Lowe's where they can make more money. You really have to love being a cop to do it for $10.00 per hour. Let me also add that I am trained on the proper techniques for clearing a building, if not for this training the safe thing would have been to retreat with my wife and wait for the law.

My best friend and brother n law are deputies in CA. One with LA and the other with San Bernardino, their academy is very extensive as well as their training. When I moved to Mayberry 11 years ago, I was shocked to find out what the local law was paid. I was further shocked at the lack of proper training. My buddy went through the college class, I think it was 12 weeks 3 nights a week, they shot at a indoor range and had a few hours of defensive car driving, otherwise it was all book work. No tactical training or tactical firing events. I guess that is why some of the LEO are either 19 years old or 50+ and 300lbs+.

Sure we don't have the crime they have in the big city or CA. but any LEO, no matter where they are stationed deserves proper training and a decent salary.
    Y'all stay safe

God Bless
    Last edited by P95Carry; December 29th, 2006 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Split into extra para's to make it more readable :)
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Assistant Administrator
    Did you find out more re the breakin? Any losses or other damage?

Sorta situation where I am sure the adrenaline level comes up very fast!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Trained or not, a single person clearing a house is a big risk. Even with 2 people it is dangerous. Glad you came out o.k.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The stuff they stole was really weird. They left a $300 Seiko gold watch sitting on the computer table but took one of my wifes antique perfume bottles, not all of them just one. What was awful about it, was a month later we were still finding stuff that was missing. It was very difficult to realize all that they took. All of my guns were in the safe or on me. They did get a bunch of my wifes jewelery, some keepsake pieces that can't be replaced, also took my police scanner. About $2,500 in stuff which State Farm was terrific about, they didn't ask for receipts or anything just took our word for what was taken and the value. The cop was right about them returning when they could carry more. Glad we were more prepared. After that I photo'd each gun and piece of jewelery and all appliances and put them on a CD with serial numbers and values to everything and gave it to my insurance agent.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I live alone so hearing these stories are kinda scary. Good thing no one was home.

I think you did good getting your wife out, but way too risky clearing the house by yourself. I know they took a long time getting there but what if there was an armed BG in there waiting for you?
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I just wanted to post on "clearing your house". Everyone says it's a really bad idea and I'm not disagreeing. But I clear my house everytime I return home. Granted, my house is small: two bedrooms and two baths with a living room/ dining room and kitchen. A couple of closets, too.
    But when I come home, I look in all the rooms before I settle in, just out of habit.
    If I come home and my wife is already home watching tv, and I notice pry marks on the window, I'm probably not going to go outside and call the cops and wait for them to eventually show up. I'm going to make sure no one's in my house then start checking for missing items.
    I'd call the police and report an attempted break in but I'd do it from inside my house.
    Maybe it makes a difference in a small house because there's not much to clear. But when something seems odd or out of place, I generally check it out. I can't call the police everytime something seems odd.
    If the police need to be called, fine, but if I hear a bump in the night, I'm not calling the cops until I know there's a problem. If I hear a car door shut at 1 am, I'm not immediately on the phone to 911.
    Just my two cents.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    ...Let me also add that I am trained on the proper techniques for clearing a building, if not for this training the safe thing would have been to retreat with my wife and wait for the law...
    I don't know who taught you house clearing, but clearing a house by yourself is dangerous to say the least. To do it proper you need 2 or more trained personnel.

Why did you even bother clearing the house when you knew your loved ones were not in it anymore. Thas was an unnecessary risk.

BTW, I'm glad that you and your family are OK.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball View Post
    Why did you even bother clearing the house when you knew your loved ones were not in it anymore. Thas was an unnecessary risk.
    Why would you drive to the store for toilet paper when there's a shower right next to the toilet? That's an unnecessary risk.

Armed homeowners getting shot while clearing their own houses are such a small minority that it makes more sense to worry about getting struck by lightning while the aliens are trying to convince Elvis to tell you who really shot JFK.

Quote Originally Posted by produman View Post
    I think you did good getting your wife out, but way too risky clearing the house by yourself. I know they took a long time getting there but what if there was an armed BG in there waiting for you?
    You asked a fair question, now for my honest answer. If he would have been a threat to my life or that of another family member I would have ended his life! Period. If he was smart and surrendered I would have held him at gun point until the cops arrived. Sure there are many other what if's, life is full of What If's!!

As far as it being dangerous, you are right, but as I said I have been trained in this type of situation far more than our local LEO. I would much rather do it myself than to see some under trained 19 year old kid get killed because he thinks he knows what he is doing. As I stated in my first post, if I was not trained to clear the house properly I would have waited with my wife outside until the law arrived. Those of you who live in major cities probably have a well trained police force, but out here I can't even begin to tell you how under trained our LEO are. The old saying "you get what you pay for" at $10.00 per hour you are not usually going to get the cream of the crop sticking around. Nothing against our local LEO, some of them are fine officers trying their best and I am sure in their minds they are well trained, but compared to other larger agencies our LOE's are severly lacking in proper training. It's to bad the local goverments can't understand that if you invest the $$ in proper training and pay the officers a decent salary you would have a far better police force without the turn over rate that we have here. The statement of LEO's quiting and going to work for Lowes for more money is not a joke, it really happened to the officer that took the report on this occasion. Very SAD!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Why would you drive to the store for toilet paper when there's a shower right next to the toilet? That's an unnecessary risk.

Armed homeowners getting shot while clearing their own houses are such a small minority that it makes more sense to worry about getting struck by lightning while the aliens are trying to convince Elvis to tell you who really shot JFK.
    Right, getting toilet paper for a dirty butt is comparable to clearing a house by yourself. Irrelevant.

I don't understand the point of your last paragraph. If you wanna clear your house by yourself when there is no need to, go ahead.
    I was trying to be nice before, so I'll just say it-

If your house is empty of your loved ones and there is no immediate threat on your life- CLEARING A BUILDING BY YOURSELF IS STUPID!

Live Easy, Die Hard

I knew there had to be a few on here!! You know I think it is fine to say what you would have done different in the same situation, but to say my actions are stupid goes a little to far. First of all you don't know the degree of my training, you know nothing about me, nobody, and I mean nobody knows my house better than me, maybe you feel OK sending some under trained kid into your home, and if he gets killed Oh well that is what he got paid $10.00 and hour for, if you could live with yourself fine, I couldn't. Nowhere in my post did I recommend that anybody do what I did, as a matter of fact I believe I suggested you wait for the cops outside.This is why I don't post real life scenarios online, I should have known better.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I knew there had to be a few on here!! You know I think it is fine to say what you would have done different in the same situation, but to say my actions are stupid goes a little to far. First of all you don't know the degree of my training, you know nothing about me, nobody, and I mean nobody knows my house better than me, maybe you feel OK sending some under trained kid into your home, and if he gets killed Oh well that is what he got paid $10.00 and hour for, if you could live with yourself fine, I couldn't. Nowhere in my post did I recommend that anybody do what I did, as a matter of fact I believe I suggested you wait for the cops outside.This is why I don't post real life scenarios online, I should have known better.
    I'm sure there's more than a few, but only a few spoke up.

You're right, I don't know your degree of training, but I've never heard of a safe way to clear a house with one person. Maybe you can direct me to the instructor/school that can teach this method.

You're also right as you did not recommend anyone to follow suit.

Sorry if you took offense, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Links