friend witnessed attempted kidnapping of child

This is a discussion on friend witnessed attempted kidnapping of child within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today my friend witnessed an attempted kidnapping of a ten yr old boy in Philipsburg Ohio. The boy was at a post office when ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: friend witnessed attempted kidnapping of child

So today my friend witnessed an attempted kidnapping of a ten yr old boy in Philipsburg Ohio. The boy was at a post office when a truck pulled up and a man attempted to grab the kid ripping his shirt as he ran to the gas station nearby. I do not know further details but police are looking for the guy.

What would all of you have done in this situation?

Would it be justified to pull in this situation?
    I would have called the police first.

I would have to be in the situation before knowing if I would pull or not. Contacting the police would be a first though.

Distinguished Member
    Who would go to a post office looking to kidnap a child? How do you or your friend know if the child wasn't a runaway and the the father was trying to get him back. Maybe it was an uncle or a friend trying to help the parents find this kid. There's not enough in your details to make a decision. At best I'd be watching and making sure I could give the police all the details needed.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

The child could have been a target of opportunity. I'd hope to have the presence of mind to remember all the details as I called 911.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Absolutely. You can never know and its rare to know or get all the facts before making a decision. In retrospect I would give as many details to police as I can unless certain harm was gonna come then I would act otherwise.
    molleur likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadScientist View Post
    Absolutely. You can never know and its rare to know or get all the facts before making a decision. In retrospect I would give as many details to police as I can unless certain harm was gonna come then I would act otherwise.
    That's right!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    Who would go to a post office looking to kidnap a child? How do you or your friend know if the child wasn't a runaway and the the father was trying to get him back. Maybe it was an uncle or a friend trying to help the parents find this kid. There's not enough in your details to make a decision. At best I'd be watching and making sure I could give the police all the details needed.
    If that were the case LE would not been having to look for the guy that grabbed the kid, because he would not have ran away. Not saying draw etc but after the fact if LE are searching for the guy its a decent bet he had no claim to the kid.
    sdgull and oneshot like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    There is a long list of options between doing nothing and drawing.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

How about yelling get off him I am calling the cops.
    maxwell97 and BenGoodLuck like this.

When you say "pull", do you mean "draw"?

Never draw if you aren't going to shoot.
    Patterson911 and Longstreet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    How about yelling get off him I am calling the cops.
    I would go with this, and be ready to draw if needed. The guy didn't threaten anyone with lethal force, so it would be a mistake to introduce lethal force into the situation. As much as we all hate the idea of letting a child be kidnapped, unless you really KNOW what's going on, the risk is too great.

Even if he IS being kidnapped, who knows? Maybe it's his own father and he intends no harm - still a crime and he should be arrested, but better to let it happen than start shooting at a target near a child.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoffman View Post
    When you say "pull", do you mean "draw"?

Never draw if you aren't going to shoot.
    I have presented weapons many times without shooting. If the person gives you cause to draw then stops what they were doing, why shoot? That being said when I drew I intended to shoot and I am convinced that's why I didn't have to.
    BenGoodLuck and USM1976 like this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    In Colorado, and probably a few other states, it's legal to use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping. And many kidnappings end in something much worse. However, many kidnappings are simply perpetrated by a non-custodial parent. In that case, I would hate to shoot a kids dad in front of him even if he was a scum bag. If I was certain it was a stranger abduction, I wouldn't hesitate to draw and fire if I had a clear shot. Without that certainty, I like the idea of chasing him while screaming and yelling. I hope they catch this guy.
    bigpapa and BenGoodLuck like this.

I would have definitely intervened,getting description license plate number,yelling and ready to escalate if need be.If I wasn't close enough to do the above but in a vehicle,I would follow at a safe distance while updating 911 until they could get units in position to stop the perp
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    In Colorado, and probably a few other states, it's legal to use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping. And many kidnappings end in something much worse. However, many kidnappings are simply perpetrated by a non-custodial parent. In that case, I would hate to shoot a kids dad in front of him even if he was a scum bag. If I was certain it was a stranger abduction, I wouldn't hesitate to draw and fire if I had a clear shot. Without that certainty, I like the idea of chasing him while screaming and yelling. I hope they catch this guy.

Here in Washington also I would have draw and hope that they will back off, as we all know the thing is don't let them get you in the car you could save a life if you stop them with letting them take the child. The same thing happen in Portland OR. also but it's a good thing that somebody seen him and the police shot and kill the guy.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    There is a long list of options between doing nothing and drawing.
    To be sure Mike1956. Coming onto a scene where I clearly don't know the whole story but it looks *Hinky* from where I am I'd be the best possible witness I could be with description of the kid and the man and the vehicle like plate # make model the whole 9 yards then beat feet to a phone and call 911.
    BenGoodLuck and tdave like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links