Recent bank robbery - What would you do if you're a customer?

This is a discussion on Recent bank robbery - What would you do if you're a customer? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, there was a bank robbery in my home state. I am curious to know what you would do in the following situation if you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Recent bank robbery - What would you do if you're a customer?

Recently, there was a bank robbery in my home state. I am curious to know what you would do in the following situation if you were a customer in line at this bank.

A robber dressed in a ski jacket, black mask and gloves comes into the bank you're currently in. He is holding a semi-automatic pistol in his hand and it is clearly a pistol (not in his pocket, etc...). You're second in line and behind one other person. The robber immediately points the gun at you and the other person, while ordering you to the ground. You comply with the demand considering his gun is already pointed at you. At this point, the robber points his gun at the teller demanding all the money in the registers. While waiting for the money, he continues to point the gun at people, including yourself, in the bank and is yelling incoherently. It is a very violent encounter but he has not pulled the trigger yet.

Aside from your self and the robber, there are another 4 people in the bank: The other customer next to you, 2 tellers and a manager in the office on the opposite side of the bank. From your angle, there is no one standing behind the bad guy and while he is pointing the gun at the teller, you'd have a clear line of sight to draw un-noticed. There is a desk next to you that would provide some cover/concealment.

I know these types of situations require a ton of details and every situation changes but I am just curious what some of you would do in this situation. Draw? Not draw? Fire immediately? Give him a chance to drop the weapon or just shoot? Just be a good witness? Would you move for concealment while drawing?

Thanks!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Its not my money---Banks have insurance for this kind of thing---not worth eating a bullet and getting $200,000 in medical bills. However, once he pulls the trigger of his gun, it has suddenly transitioned to a new animal.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Silly to predict what you may or may not do. You would have to physically be involved in said scenario to asses and improvise a game plan depending on a number of factors. Thats of course if your even able to maintain a clear mindset at the time.

I think I mentioned in my OP that I know there are a ton of factors and it will change depending on the situation. In my experience the way you train yourself to keep that clear mindset is discussing possible scenarios and training for those scenarios. Isn't this why we go to the range and practice the draw stroke/shooting from cover/shooting on the move/in prone, etc?

I agree that the money is in consequential. I really don't care about the money but I do care about my life. What if after he gets the money he just starts shooting to eliminate witnesses and then leaves? Do we take that risk if we had a tactical advantage earlier in the conflict?

It's not your role to play policeman and no one in society wants you doing so. Your gun is for your defense. Period. You are not being threatened. Stay exactly where you were told to stay, observe everything you can, and be a good witness.

I would hope that I would not be in this situation from the start. I very rarely actually enter a bank. When I do, I'm keeping my SA high and watching the door. If I were caught off guard and had to go to the floor, I'd try to find a time when the robber is distracted, draw, and then wait to see what his intention is. If he's leaving, I'm staying put. If I see any sign of further aggression, I will take my chances and shoot.
    Parrisk and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

This is not limited to a bank alone. ANY situation where where the perp has a gun pointed AT YOU is a bad and potentially deadly situation. It could be a snow cone stand. And like any other situation, NO ONE can say what they or anyone else can or would do. Too many variables. Your gun is in your back pocket (yep, some folks carry that way) and you're on the floor sitting on it. Oops!

The BG is sweeping you every few seconds or so with his loaded weapon already in his hand. Is your draw faster than that? Remember he already has his gun out.

The teller is fumbling with the $$$. BG is getting antsy and starting to become more incoherent. Do you want to risk it? And on and on and on and on and on and on ....

That's why these "what would you do?" exercises amuse me. You might get some people's opinions, but when the "rubber meets the read" ya just can't know for certain. Every situation is different.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roudy View Post
    I think I mentioned in my OP that I know there are a ton of factors and it will change depending on the situation. In my experience the way you train yourself to keep that clear mindset is discussing possible scenarios and training for those scenarios. Isn't this why we go to the range and practice the draw stroke/shooting from cover/shooting on the move/in prone, etc?

I agree that the money is in consequential. I really don't care about the money but I do care about my life. What if after he gets the money he just starts shooting to eliminate witnesses and then leaves? Do we take that risk if we had a tactical advantage earlier in the conflict?
    It is your choice whether or not to intervene based on the dynamics of the situation. Are you going to be an asset or a liability to society in either choice?

Asset: Save the day by shooting the BG
    Asset: Not shooting the BG, because you do not have the training for this type of situation

Liability: Try to shoot the BG and missing and hitting others
    Liability: Not shooting when BG starts killing others.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I would wish I had already deposited my check.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Totally agree Rob. The way I mapped out the example, is pretty much how it happened and there is video of the encounter on the news stations. The BG sweeping factor is one that I think demands attention. I don't think you have tactical advantage if the BG keeps looking your way.

The points you brought up are what I am interested in discussing, BTW. I know there is no right answer here. There never is. It amuses me how fast some of you dismiss a conversation because there are so many variables. It's just a conversation to review those variables and think them out before they happen (hopefully they never happen).
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Get behind the desk, draw my weapon, have it ready to fire and see what happens next. If the robber comes around the desk with his weapon pointed at me with what I perceive as the intention to shoot me I make a split second decision and squeeze off as many rounds as needed to stop the threat.

If my life is not directly and obviously threatened, I let him make his get away, wait for the cops and provide as much info as I can to them about the robber.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Solid points Harry. I think we need to assume in this situation, you'd be comfortable with engaging. You've been training consistently and are comfortable with your draw/weapon. If you're not - then the answer is clear - why are you even carrying, let alone engaging?

But then a concern has more to do with the BG missing me and shooting others (the person next to me).

EMH
    Why are you carrying in a bank anyway? Let's say you shoot the robber and he dies on the spot. Surely you'll be praised as a hero by some, but that won't stop the DA from charging you with a felony for, you know, carrying a firearm and discharging it in a bank.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudy View Post
    Solid points Harry. I think we need to assume in this situation, you'd be comfortable with engaging. You've been training consistently and are comfortable with your draw/weapon. If you're not - then the answer is clear - why are you even carrying, let alone engaging?

But then a concern has more to do with the BG missing me and shooting others (the person next to me).
    It is more than drawing the weapon. That is a very small, yet important part of training. Most that do practice have never been taught how to practice. They could be doing things wrong.

IMO most of the people carrying in the U.S. do not have a clue as to what to do in the situation you have described. The Carry course mandated by the states that mandate it, are nothing more than safety classes. That IMO is not training. FoF, H2H, and weapons manipulations, tactics, that is training.
    Roudy, Dan.1977P, TVJ and 2 others like this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by EMH View Post
    Why are you carrying in a bank anyway? Let's say you shoot the robber and he dies on the spot. Surely you'll be praised as a hero by some, but that won't stop the DA from charging you with a felony for, you know, carrying a firearm and discharging it in a bank.
    I carrying in banks all the time. Its not against the law.....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links