Aggressive Dog

Aggressive Dog

This is a discussion on Aggressive Dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever had to draw on an aggressive/attacking dog? I would think it would be a tough target. Also, do you think firing a safely ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Aggressive Dog

Aggressive Dog

Anyone ever had to draw on an aggressive/attacking dog? I would think it would be a tough target. Also, do you think firing a safely aimed warning shot would scare a dog away? And how would that excuse for discharging a firearm into the ground for example hold up in court? I ask these questions because in my experience, a dog attack is more likely to occur than one from another human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SCXDm9 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP1984 View Post
    Anyone ever had to draw on an aggressive/attacking dog? I would think it would be a tough target. Also, do you think firing a safely aimed warning shot would scare a dog away? And how would that excuse for discharging a firearm into the ground for example hold up in court? I ask these questions because in my experience, a dog attack is more likely to occur than one from another human.
    You seem to be imagining something and wondering if warning shots are 'ok'. They are not. Most dog 'attacks' on adults are just territorial bluffs. Carry a walking stick. If you know there is an aggressive dog in your neighborhood, plan accordingly. DO NOT, repeat, do not carry a firearm with the intent to scare off a dog by firing into the ground or the air.

Warning shot some dogs will run. Some will pay it no mind at all. Unless you live in the city I dont see the issue of firing a gun, into the ground or into the dog legally. I can plow a garden with a shotgun where I live if I could afford the ammo.

Yes Ive sent 3 attacking dogs to doggy heaven that were stupid enough to aggressively snarling and growling charge me in my own yard. 357 mag on a huge black lab and some kind of monster dog mixed stray that had every intention of putting its chops in me.

357 mag on a stray St Bernard that ran my neighbor into his house the laid down in his yard. He only had a 22 and was afraid to tangle with it so called me. Drove to his place, got out, dog charged me 125gr hp to the chest and dog gone. That one had rabies however. He was slobbering all over which is why I shot him in the chest instead of the head as he charged. Cant send the head off to be tested if its blown to bits.

12ga on a black pit bull mix that was running snarling at my four year old daughter who was playing by the front door. She screamed as she saw it coming up the hill I snatched the shotgun from beside the door, stepped in front of her and put a load of 00 buck in his face.

No cops no legalities, no upset neighbors. This was all over a period of 30 years though. And Ive always lived in the sticks so no city silliness to put up with.
    TCP1984, dangerranger and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    I've never had to draw on a dog but I found out, when my daughters German Shepard locked on my arm, a very good knuckle between the eyes will make them let go.
    TCP1984 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I'm not imagining anything. If I'm approached by a human and think my life is in danger, just drawing my firearm might (yes MIGHT) end the confrontation. If I have a dog coming at me he's not going to care if I have a gun in my hand.

Ghost1958 likes this.

What ever your considering... dont do it.

VIP Member
    We have both coy dogs, which have lost the coyote fear of humans, and feral dog packs hereabouts, so while I haven't shot one yet, it could well be on the menu at any time.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    From time to time my dogs fight each other. About once every couple of years. The only way to break them up is to hose them down or fire a couple of shots. I live in a very rural wooded area, and have a couple of times fired into the ground to separate them. That's the only time I'm ok with warning shots. You may want to consider a spray as a first line of defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    What ever your considering... dont do it.
    What do you think I'm considering??? From the other responses in here, it seems to be a probable scenario valid of discussion.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP1984 View Post
    I'm not imagining anything. If I'm approached by a human and think my life is in danger, just drawing my firearm might (yes MIGHT) end the confrontation. If I have a dog coming at me he's not going to care if I have a gun in my hand.
    Why are you considering such a scenario? It is exceedingly rare. What you might worry about is a pack of feral dogs. Then you need a shotgun and a friend. Otherwise, just yell at the dog or throw a rock. Dogs are not armed and you'd be lucky to hit one. As far as warning shots they are not allowed no time, no how. Find another route home, if walking and hiking, carry a stick.

Carry a gun always, use your brain before you use it. Depends on your state, in Alabama the discharge of a firearm is legal when defending a human life.
    TCP1984 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    If i'm out in public and an aggressive dog attempts to bite me,i will fire a shot,but it won't be a warning shot. I love animals,but i'm not running from a dog. I'm not changing where i bike ride,because of a dog..We have a "leash law" in our city,some cities may not,i don't know.. I've spoken to the police about this once,because i almost shot a bull dog chasing me on my bike..They told me if one bite them,they would do the same thing..I can't stand being chased but it's rare..In fact,that's the only time,i've ever pulled my firearm.Hope it's the last..
    TCP1984 likes this.

Thank you for the constructive answers.

Dan060 likes this.

I have a small night stick I carry for those rare occasions. It's actually a small one inch diameter club I used when I drove commercially. We used it to thump tires to make sure they weren't flat. I do not have a permit for my stick.
    TCP1984 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    TCP1984 .that's just what i do..I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do..If it were a problem maybe talk to animal control or maybe a LEO in your area..Laws may vary from state to state.
    TCP1984 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links