The "21 foot" Rule

The "21 foot" Rule

This is a discussion on The "21 foot" Rule within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard this mentioned a few times on the forum but never really knew what it was about. Last night on, "Justified", Raylan was in ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: The "21 foot" Rule

VIP Member

The "21 foot" Rule

I've heard this mentioned a few times on the forum but never really knew what it was about.
    Last night on, "Justified", Raylan was in a standoff with a guy and talked about the "21 foot" rule.

I got curious to see exactly what it was so I found this web site:

21 foot rule or Tueller Drill

It's a short but very interesting article.

"In the time it takes the average officer to recognize a threat, draw his sidearm and fire 2 rounds at center mass, an average subject charging at the officer with a knife or other cutting or stabbing weapon can cover a distance of 21 feet."

I understand better why LEO's don't fool around with BG's and a knife.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I watched that on my DVR last night. I laughed so hard when he fell in the hole....
    Jeanlouise, niks, CWOUSCG and 8 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I watched that on my DVR last night. I laughed so hard when he fell in the hole....
    Me too!
    niks and gatorbait51 like this.

the 21 foot rule has been around for awhile. But I did love it in Justified being mentioned in at least 3 episodes this season by the psycho brother of the Kroll family.

Eric Roberts character in the previous episode toting a GP100 and touting all the glories of a revolver over semi-autos was great. Plus the scene where he told the guy he had three seconds to drop the gun or else. 1...2...3 Blammo! was awesome.

The writers of Justified don't get everything right about guns. But it is obvious that they are appealing to the gun crowd with the lingo and some basic self defense concepts they bring up.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Side note, in the beginning where they show previously... Did they show things that were not broadcast in the last show? There were things I don't remember shown.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Knives are bad medicine. Even worse, the uneducated public would never believe that it is a formidable weapon against a gun. You're probably gonna need someone like Massad Ayoob on your defense team after the shooting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Right. I meant last episode, not last night.

CWOUSCG...which part are you referring to? Sometimes that show is hard to follow because all the Rednecks begin to look alike. My apologies to any Rednecks that might be reading this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Love that show, but if a newb like me is aware of the 21 ft. rule, I was surprised Raylan wasn't aware.
    Calvito likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    We were taught this during our 40 hour MFT years ago and again in my CCL class. It happens very quickly.

In my CCL class it was demostrated that it is nigh impossible to draw from an ankle rig and put a controlled shot on the dirtbag. Out of ten attempts (and these were all young, experienced, current police officers) one shot was made on the approaching dirtbag and the officer was on his back when that occured. The other nine attempts resulted in the officer not even getting the weapon out of the holster or not being able to fire in time.

Think about that the next time you strap on that ankle rig.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Love that show, but if a newb like me is aware of the 21 ft. rule, I was surprised Raylan wasn't aware.
    Oh, he knew. He was then one talking about it to the, now dead, BG.
    gatorbait51, BWM243 and BamaT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Right. I meant last episode, not last night.

CWOUSCG...which part are you referring to? Sometimes that show is hard to follow because all the Rednecks begin to look alike. My apologies to any Rednecks that might be reading this.
    I don't remember Eric Roberts getting run down! Couple of other little things too, must have fell asleep or something.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Side note, in the beginning where they show previously... Did they show things that were not broadcast in the last show? There were things I don't remember shown.
    Sometimes it is hard to follow. Some opening clips are from three and four episodes previously. It's hard to keep track of story lines and like J.L. commented, who is who.
    CWOUSCG and gatorbait51 like this.

Oh, he knew. He was then one talking about it to the, now dead, BG.
    Watch it again JL, Raylan said he hadnt heard of it..Which surprised me...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I don't remember Eric Roberts getting run down! Couple of other little things too, must have fell asleep or something.
    Was he the new cop that Raylan was with in the last couple of episodes? Crusty guy?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've heard this mentioned a few times on the forum but never really knew what it was about.
    Last night on, "Justified", Raylan was in a standoff with a guy and talked about the "21 foot" rule.

I got curious to see exactly what it was so I found this web site:

21 foot rule or Tueller Drill

It's a short but very interesting article.

"In the time it takes the average officer to recognize a threat, draw his sidearm and fire 2 rounds at center mass, an average subject charging at the officer with a knife or other cutting or stabbing weapon can cover a distance of 21 feet."

I understand better why LEO's don't fool around with BG's and a knife.
    Key part of that is "recognize" or being unprepared. In this case Raylan had his hand on his gun and had it out when Crow fell in the hole.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links