oh no you didnt

oh no you didnt

This is a discussion on oh no you didnt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Its been awhile since I posted but here goes. I was home alone the other day when I got a knock on the door. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: oh no you didnt

Exclamation oh no you didnt

Hello,
    Its been awhile since I posted but here goes. I was home alone the other day when I got a knock on the door. It struck me as strange bcuz the door bell is well lit. It was around 1900hrs. I did a 12-6 and all were clear. so still in my tae kwon do uniform I opened the door, Mossberg 500 with gangsta grips in hidden hand. The dude was medium height and build, and acting nuttier than squirrel poop. He was sweating buckets and mumbling and shouting.

Spidey senses were on alert. I asked him to state his business which he started yelling again. I was not feeling any danger at this time. He went to walk away and I said hey come back, he yelled some more and looked more confused, his breath reeked with an alcohol like smell . I ran back in the house came back out, grabbed him from the back pinned him down and gave him some O.J it took about the whole jug to bring him back. We he came to, I called his wife and she came and got him, I did this cuz I know the symptoms of IDDM. I am one.

He and the wife came back the next day and thanked me, gave me a gift card. Hugs, tears and praises. Now we are IDDM buddies. What do yall think I could have did differently. I am retired military, critical care paramedic, combat medic, red belt in TKD. Been IDDM for about 12 years.
    82nd Airborne- When you care enough to send the very BEST

If PRO is the opposite of CON, then that means CONGRESS is the opposite of PROGRESS.

IMO being one myself, I understand what can happen and how quickly. You did good...

For others that may not know...

IDDM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm confused. If his breath smelled of alcohol, it truly was a diabetic condition and he wasn't actually drunk, he would have been in DKA which would have meant his sugar was 300+ minimum but all cases I've ever worked were 700+. Giving him more sugar wouldn't kill him but it certainly wouldn't bring him around. My other concern is if you feel like you can't reason with the patient and convince him to drink or eat on his own, best to leave it to the medics and let us use other means to get sugar in. Last thing you want to do is pin someone down who can't swallow properly and choke him to death trying to do good.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.w.daugherty View Post
    I'm confused. If his breath smelled of alcohol, it truly was a diabetic condition and he wasn't actually drunk, he would have been in DKA which would have meant his sugar was 300+ minimum but all cases I've ever worked were 700+. Giving him more sugar wouldn't kill him but it certainly wouldn't bring him around. My other concern is if you feel like you can't reason with the patient and convince him to drink or eat on his own, best to leave it to the medics and let us use other means to get sugar in. Last thing you want to do is pin someone down who can't swallow properly and choke him to death trying to do good.
    Low blood sugar would be my guess. Ketones would be the smell...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Low blood sugar would be my guess. Ketones would be the smell...
    I'm confused. So an IDDM person on low blood sugar would smell like they have alcohol on their breath?
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

No, they wouldn't, that was my point. The keytones are smelled when in Diabetic Ketoacidosis and in order to be in that condition, you have to have extremely elevated blood sugar. Someone with low sugar would exhibit all the other signs mentioned and would typically appear drunk WITHOUT the alcohol smell. That was one of the ways we would determine treatment plans before we started carrying glucometers on the medics.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm confused. So an IDDM person on low blood sugar would smell like they have alcohol on their breath?

Distinguished Member
    I'm not sure what the confusion is. Orange juice is what I have always heard recommended for this situation. I'm no doctor but diabedes runs rampant in our family (I'm due and showing signs). I'll wait for other medical types to chime in. Sounds like it worked. Nice moves and analysis.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

12-6? What's that?

U always answer your door in daylight w a shotgun in your hand? Something trigger u to be on alert other than a knock vs ring?

"I miss America"
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I HOPE its not as bad now a days, but used to all kinds of diabetics died in drunk tanks.
    gatorbait51 and TheBigWanad like this.

To the OP: Man, I thought you were the worst kind of rascal ever, till I got to the part about how he had a medical condition, and you were helping him.

Lucky you were there for him. Yah done good.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I HOPE its not as bad now a days, but used to all kinds of diabetics died in drunk tanks.
    I learned something new today. Maybe I'll claim IDDM when the pastor stands too close to me on Sunday morning...

It absolutely is up to the point where the person can no longer follow simple commands which is what appears to be the case here. I'm also trying to vet out conflicting details in a story. FWIW, if a licensed care provider did the same as the OP, there would most likely be a case review because the care (though unintended) was life threatening and without the protections of your agency, you could also be brought up on battery charges for restraining someone. There is a reason these protocols are in place and taught this way at the national level. I'm glad it worked out ok but the OP asked for what to do differently. Keep an eye on the guy and call 911 should have been the simple answer with the more detailed explanation and questions below.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I'm not sure what the confusion is. Orange juice is what I have always heard recommended for this situation. I'm no doctor but diabedes runs rampant in our family (I'm due and showing signs). I'll wait for other medical types to chime in. Sounds like it worked. Nice moves and analysis.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    12-6? What's that?

U always answer your door in daylight w a shotgun in your hand? Something trigger u to be on alert other than a knock vs ring?

"I miss America"
    1900hr is 7:00 PM (evening), not 7:00 AM (morning).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Had to look up IDDM. Someone who was not familiar with the condition or symptoms would have probably handled it differently, but in this case sounds like you did the right thing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You're a retired paramedic and you gave PO fluids to someone with altered mental status? Glad it worked out I guess, but maybe just call 911, they have Dextrose and Glucagon for a reason. Hypoglycemic episodes are bad. Aspiration pneumonia is worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links