Flash Mob assaults -- how to guard against such things

This is a discussion on Flash Mob assaults -- how to guard against such things within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yet another one of these massed-mob type assault sprees occurred over the weekend, this time in Kentucky. Was apparently a group of 200 who had ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: Flash Mob assaults -- how to guard against such things

Question Flash Mob assaults -- how to guard against such things

Yet another one of these massed-mob type assault sprees occurred over the weekend, this time in Kentucky. Was apparently a group of 200 who had gathered earlier near a local restaurant in the downtown area, where they'd been ejected for cause, after which they went around the area attacking and brutalizing several different people. News report: Mayer Calls For Calm After Mob Of Teens Assault/Rob Victims. Nicely, at least one of these felons is in custody.

What would you do, if you find a mob of "rambunctious" youths bearing down in your direction? What training have you done to provide alternatives in such situations?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm getting out of there while addressing only lethal force on a first-come first-serve basis.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm getting out of there while addressing only lethal force on a first-come first-serve basis.
    Sounds about right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't know exactly what I'd do but I'm not standing there and letting them do whatever they want. I may not make it out but there will be a few of them hurting also. Luckily I've only seen something like this once and I wasn't close enough to get caught up in it, but that group of teens did some damage. I decided then and there I wouldn't let it happen to me.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Flash mobs around here are when the community has free pizza at the club hse an all the octogenarians try to get ten pieces on the small paper plate they hand out it can get pretty ugly :)

What you would do is preceded by what mistake you made to find yourself in the situation in the first place.

This happened on the waterfront in downtown Louisville on a Saturday night. Where should you not be? On the waterfront in downtown Louisville on a Saturday night is a good example. Stay out of any large city's downtown area on any evening but especially a weekend evening. Avoid any place with a socio-economic demographic that suggests a trouble area. If you do a good job of avoiding trouble, your statistical probability of being involved in trouble drops tremendously.

As for what you should do if you find yourself in such a situation? Flee. Quickly. Run as fast as you can. Engage only as an absolute last resort to save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That sounds about right.

Octogenarians??...now there's a funny word...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Flash mobs around here are when the community has free pizza at the club hse an all the octogenarians try to get ten pieces on the small paper plate they hand out it can get pretty ugly :)
    I can stack 12 on my plate. So get your eyes off of my plate, and don't even try what your thinking!!!!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    this is why we should be able to buy flash/bangs in the LGS... adds another piece of gear to the bat-belt, but going somewhere open and public? i get a flashbang will stop a flashmob....at least slow em down enough to get me and mine out....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    I try not to go downtown during the day, will definitely not be there at night. That said, if possible I'll make myself scarce before they have a chance to get their hands on me. If I can't get safely away, then I take out the first one to reach for me. I have a feeling after the flash and bang, they will scatter like the cock roaches they are.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I try not to go downtown during the day, will definitely not be there at night. That said, if possible I'll make myself scarce before they have a chance to get their hands on me. If I can't get safely away, then I take out the first one to reach for me. I have a feeling after the flash and bang, they will scatter like the cock roaches they are.
    Yeah you pop off a shot or two and I'd bet they'd disperse awful quick.

Distinguished Member
    The only training I have experienced that will help me face 200 people is training for a marathon - outrun them all.

The logical choice is a hasty retreat to find LE or at least larger crowds that might help break up the mob. Drawing and ultimately firing is, as always, a last resort to hopefully break up the mob as they descend on you.

Not a place I would want to find myself!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I try not to go downtown during the day, will definitely not be there at night.
    ^ That is one of the greater lessons of this situation, I think.

Although these mob things can happen at any time, nighttime is the "right" time for many of these types of gatherings. Good lesson: avoid "downtown" spots out of screaming distance, particularly at night ... places like bridges or alleys where there is no escape/cover, places like remote parks or light-industrial areas that are closed down at such times of the day.

My take is that folks on that bridge were sitting ducks, in a target-rich environment, with nowhere to go. Those without active means of defending themselves had zero recourse. And that's a bad situation to be in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Molotov cocktails anyone?
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Avoid/Evade.
    firerat and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links