Nutjob at the ice cream shop

This is a discussion on Nutjob at the ice cream shop within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had my kids and my brother and uncle out for ice cream tonight. There was an older guy in the lot, and nobody ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Nutjob at the ice cream shop

So I had my kids and my brother and uncle out for ice cream tonight. There was an older guy in the lot, and nobody paid him too much attention until he tried to open car doors in the drice thru. The manager told him to leave now and called the police. So he crossed to the connecting lot next door and started talking to another guy. This was 2 vehicles down from mine. We were trying to leave, so we waited until he walked about 75-80ft away from the building and my car and we all walked out together.

He then doubled back and I hurriedly got my kids in the car. As they were climbing in, he made eye contact about 50ft out. I yelled to him, "stop and turn around, I have kids with me. Do not keep walking towards us." Then he yelled obscenities at us and threatened to "beat our rears". I stood ground, didnt take my eyes off him and we called the police ourselves.

They showed up a minute later as he just got done trying to open another door. Turns out he had a prior on burglary and the cops didnt know him, so he went to detox for the night. Thankfully nothing happened. No gun on me today (personal reasons I wont discuss here) but I had my knife atleast. Any critiques or suggestions?
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 24th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

mkh
    Hollering at people75-80 feet away sounds like overkill to me.

Sorry but that is just the way it seems to me.. But I'm glad things worked out okay.

VIP Member
    I would have told the store ...........................i told you to hold the nuts .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Off the top of my head, I'd say...

1) Time to weigh personal reasons for not carrying a gun today vs. the safety of your kids.

2) Police showed up a minute later? I thought that only happened on TV? Better not think you'll be lucky enough for that to happen again, and if it does, head straight for the lotto tickets before your luck runs out.

3) What was your next move if yelling at him and the cops showing up right away didn't work? Do you have training with the knife? Was the crazy guy armed with anything? Any reason you didn't just jump in the car with the kids and just haul donkey?

he said he was about 50 feet away and fixated on him. you did good IMHO. the only critique i have is always carry because things go from bad to worse in an instant and there is no set time or place, always be ready and good SA.
    gatorbait51 and herpjunkie like this.

Two words: DEEP concealment.

A couple more words: Smart Carry.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I would have told the store ...........................i told you to hold the nuts .
    HAHAHAHAHA
    welder516, Bama61 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by floggindave View Post
    Turns out he had a prior on burglary and the cops didnt know him, so he went to detox for the night....
    And you know this.....how?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Why did you even make eye contact with this guy?
    Why did you even coverse with this guy from 70-80 ft away?
    Why did you just get into your car, lock the doors and drive off, and let somebody else deal with the nutjob?
    I'm being critical here, cuz you initiated it, and it may have gone bad real quick. Best thing would have been, get EVERYBODY in the vehicle, lock the doors, drive to a safe distance away and make your call to the PD and let the professionals take care of business.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Bass
    snare
    cymbal
    The easy way is always mined.

I think the worst thing you can do with a lunatic or a drunkard is to make ANY eye contact or say ANYTHING to them or acknowledge them in any way, shape or form. This can be all the trigger they need. I accidently learned this lesson about 30 years ago, and never made that mistake again. Treat them as if they're invisible, if possible.

Until you're driving away of course. Then yell "Hey You!" and give them the finger. The reaction is priceless.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Hollering at people75-80 feet away sounds like overkill to me.

Sorry but that is just the way it seems to me.. But I'm glad things worked out okay.
    He said fifty feet, but better to wait for Tueller Drill distance?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floggindave View Post
    So I had my kids and my brother and uncle out for ice cream tonight. There was an older guy in the lot, and nobody paid him too much attention until he tried to open car doors in the drice thru. The manager told him to leave now and called the police. So he crossed to the connecting lot next door and started talking to another guy. This was 2 vehicles down from mine. We were trying to leave, so we waited until he walked about 75-80ft away from the building and my car and we all walked out together. He then doubled back and I hurriedly got my kids in the car. As they were climbing in, he made eye contact about 50ft out. I yelled to him, "stop and turn around, I have kids with me. Do not keep walking towards us." Then he yelled obscenities at us and threatened to "beat our a**es". I stood ground, didnt take my eyes off him and we called the police ourselves. They showed up a minute later as he just got done trying to open another door. Turns out he had a prior on burglary and the cops didnt know him, so he went to detox for the night. Thankfully nothing happened. No gun on me today (personal reasons I wont discuss here) but I had my knife atleast. Any critiques or suggestions?
    You did it as well as you could have, except for mentioning to hundreds of people on an internet forum that you didn't have a gun on you today.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Two words: DEEP concealment.

A couple more words: Smart Carry.
    THIS!!!!! Works wonders
    gatorbait51 and 357and40 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Ignoring the threat, or waiting until it comes within striking distance is a lousy strategy.
    Gearhead, TxTchRR, RickyD and 9 others like this.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links