USCCA self-defense liability insurance?

This is a discussion on USCCA self-defense liability insurance? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (If this is not in an appropriate sub-forum, please relocate me...!) Does anyone here have any experience with the USCCA self-defense liability insurance packages? Good? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: USCCA self-defense liability insurance?

(If this is not in an appropriate sub-forum, please relocate me...!)

Does anyone here have any experience with the USCCA self-defense liability insurance packages? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Just curious...

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/index.asp

2. Remove Ads

No but do some research online, a lot of people do not like them due to all their advertisements. I have secondcalldefense.com and seem to be very happy. Have delt with customer service a few times and it seems they are quite good. I also have asked MANY questions and they passed in all of my research questions before I signed up. Definitely recommend second call defense! Not to mention, great piece of mind.

VIP Member
    No experience with them, other than making the mistake of going to their site once and putting up with 6 months of spam e-mail from them.
    OldVet, Oldpsufan and WannabeaCPA like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have had USCCA for a few years now. the rest is IMHO
    The site offers a wealth of information as one stop shopping..
    Their magazine is first rate
    I think their insurance is great for the price... and they have made some recent changes that make it more attractive.
    Yes they reimburse the legal fees but they also offer immediate bond out and lawyer retainer fee.

Read the literature, compare to others, and make an informed decision.

The CEO thinks pretty highly of himself and yes they do send out weekly if not daily offers to buy this and buy that - easy fix is the delete button or place that email address in your spam filter.

In My Humble Opinion - I think it is a worth while deal and hope I never have to experience exactly how well the insurance works.
    Seeing how the costs of Criminal and Civil defense for a SD shooting can realistically put you out on the street as a deeply indebt homeless person, I prefer the comfort of their insurance.
    But isn't that what all insurance is, a gamble? Go for years with never needing it.. but not having it and something happens that costs well into 6 digits, what then?
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Entities like this exist to make money. That doesn't mean they offer anything to you of value. All of these "self-defense" insurance offerings are nothing more than fool's gold. My advice to you is to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Entities like this exist to make money. That doesn't mean they offer anything to you of value. All of these "self-defense" insurance offerings are nothing more than fool's gold. My advice to you is to avoid them.
    I would add to that thought that all insurance companies are in business to make money, not lose it. It's like Henry J. Keiser once said on becoming a millionaire, find a need and fill it. Think of how many CC'ers there are in this country that will never draw their gun but still worry about the consequences if they do. It's like an insurance ponzi scheme.

Do a search, on this site, for USCCA.

Oh, here... I did it for you: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...archid=3369293

Most expressed opinions on this site seem to be against it.

Mine is one of them.

KNOW your state's laws about self defense particularly with firearms... In the home, on the street, in your car... find them all, read them....

USCCA magazine is good, but you can get the same information here, free.

You might take a look at ACLDN (Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network), if you insist on "insurance."

BTW, as of this moment in time... and all prior moments in time: I have NOT owned any of the above and have no stake in them at all.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Lead Moderator
    Do a search for USCCA on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information from both members and former members. To say there are multiple threads is probably a gross understatement!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yeah, but this is exactly the reason why I keep my Delta Defense (USCCA) insurance
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rob...MjYyMjIzNjY5S0

and even though most of their information is available here, I often see links to or quotes from USCCA by varied members of this forum
    US Army Retired (2002)

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Yeah, but this is exactly the reason why I keep my Delta Defense (USCCA) insurance
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rob...MjYyMjIzNjY5S0

and even though most of their information is available here, I often see links to or quotes from USCCA by varied members of this forum

And, If you knew the laws of Pennsylvania, where the shooting occurred, you would know that:

If a person who used force in self-defense is nevertheless sued, and they successfully argue their claim to self-defense immunity at trial, the party suing them is subject to having to pay the defender’s attorney’s fees and other legal expenses. This rule applies in sixteen states, including Alaska, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.
    And that:
    Fully 32 states provide some degree of limitation of liability for the individual who has genuinely acted in self-defense, but there is considerable variety in terms of the scope and manner of protection provided.
    You bet, the entitlement crowd "wants" to sue... And they may even find a lawyer willing to take their money. But a good lawyer will tell them he's sorry they have NO case.

USCCA, and others "MAY" post bail and offer some up front expenses (in a limited way)... But they DO NOT guarantee that they will... And in the event yo should have to go to trial for a self defense case they will only reimburse you AFTER you have won the case... You will still be liable for the legal fees until (and if) you are reimbursed...

If a self defense case goes to court... you will be broke. You may recoup your legal costs, but you will be destitute before you do.

In Iowa, a couple of years ago now, a man was jailed after shooting in self defense, with 911 on the line. He spent 100+ days in jail awaiting his trial. While in jail, his apartment complex evicted him, putting his belongings on the curb, for anyone to take... they evicted him for "criminal activity" and, they did not send warning to the jail (where they knew he was) but taped the eviction notice to his residence door. He lost everything. But he won the case... took all of about 5 minutes for the jury to deliberate and find him not guilty.

After he was exonerated, he spent two days living in his car as he was now homeless. I think, in the end the NRA took up collections for him, and he made out well.... he became a hero in the state house, in Iowa... a little bit of celebrity for his ordeal. But he had already lost all of his belongings.

Oh, edited to add... this story is still on the DesMoines register site... right here

AND USCCA would have paid NOTHING until he was exonerated... and he still would have been in jail, and he still would have lost all his earthly possessions.

Just the facts.

As to quoting USCCA magazine... sure, they say some wise things... they catch an angle on a story that someone else missed, they spout the same common sense "quips" that everyone in the gun community uses... and it gets quoted as the source.... but truth be told, there ain't much new in the concealed carry community... some of it gets improved over time... but nothing is really new...

Your odds of having to use your weapon in self defense are pretty astronomical... But, like a fire extinguisher, it's better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. The same might be said for the defense shield "insurance" that is offered by USCCA, I suppose...

But, with rights come responsibilities. It's on you to know the laws as they apply to you regarding your carriage of a weapon and its use. Insurance does not cover ignorance. (insurance cannot cover illegal activity)

To each their own... money is better spent.
    Last edited by oakchas; March 27th, 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added link to the original story in red
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    USCCA magazine is good, but you can get the same information here, free.
    I don't know about anyone else that writes for it, but I continue to put things in the magazine that never make it to most if any forums I participate in.

Now, the counter to that is that it all shows up somewhere, put up by somebody. Actually, I still haven't seen some things I write about in the magazine anywhere else, and other things that are discussed are not presented with the outlooks and approaches that I take to the material which some others find useful. That, and it's scattered about like leaves in the autumn wind, whereas the magazine (and for that matter, books and DVDs and the like) gather material, consolidate it, organize it, and the present it in ways that it's much faster and (sometimes) easier to digest and make use of.

So in many respects, you are not paying so much for new information as you are for the time it took someone else to put it together so that you did not have to. I personally don't have the time to sift through all the free sources and filter everything out except for what I'm interested in/looking for/is most useful to me. That's why I don't mind paying others to do that for me by way of training courses and books and magazines and videos.

So part of the decision that you should make is how much is it worth to you to not have to sift the silt to get to the gold?

(That's true of a lot more than selecting a magazine subscription.)
    oakchas likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    I don't know about anyone else that writes for it, but I continue to put things in the magazine that never make it to most if any forums I participate in.

Now, the counter to that is that it all shows up somewhere, put up by somebody. Actually, I still haven't seen some things I write about in the magazine anywhere else, and other things that are discussed are not presented with the outlooks and approaches that I take to the material which some others find useful. That, and it's scattered about like leaves in the autumn wind, whereas the magazine (and for that matter, books and DVDs and the like) gather material, consolidate it, organize it, and the present it in ways that it's much faster and (sometimes) easier to digest and make use of.

So in many respects, you are not paying so much for new information as you are for the time it took someone else to put it together so that you did not have to. I personally don't have the time to sift through all the free sources and filter everything out except for what I'm interested in/looking for/is most useful to me. That's why I don't mind paying others to do that for me by way of training courses and books and magazines and videos.

So part of the decision that you should make is how much is it worth to you to not have to sift the silt to get to the gold?

(That's true of a lot more than selecting a magazine subscription.)
    You sir, are a Luddite. Press is dead, paper is dead, it's all cyber now.

I used to look to The Evening News with Walter Cronkite for the news... and read the paper the next day for "the rest of the story" in depth coverage of the news. Those days are gone. Walter was my godfather (literally)... And the other press man in the family was Jesse George Murray of the Chicago Sun Times, my great uncle. Both, like their venues, are long dead. Alas.

Books are on Kindle now, for less.... Magazines are following suit. Where is Newsweek?

Children no longer have to learn cursive.... Your smart phone will read to you, so you don't have to know how to read at all anymore.

Soon, recreational marijuana will be legal across the land. No one will be able to think clearly, or read, but they will be able to recognize Chester Cheetah® as the picture on the package of their favorite munchies. They'll gladly pay the excise tax on recreational food, passed during the last legislative session to which they paid no attention because they were at a "food party" where the food was secondary to the MJ infused goodies and such.

But, please, do continue in your delusion... I for one, still like to read.. On real paper, held in my hand... the smell of a new publication, the smooth texture of lightweight coated stock... Someday we may all reminisce about the good old days when people knew what was going on in the world, because they read about it... I will not go gently into THAT good night...

But I still say that much of what is found in USCCA can be found here... or elsewhere on the interwebby... And I'm not too lazy to ferret it out... that's why I post frequently, in the news... Getting the word out BEFORE monthly or bi-monthly publications.

Thanks for writing to print... I work in an industry that provides the paper manufacturers... So I don't look forward to a paperless world.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

In the interest of fairness this is what USCCA will provide:

Up to $10,000 to retain an attorney to defend you... at $300 an hour, that is gone in less than a week.
    Up to $10,000 bond cash to bail you out. (your bail must be $100,000 or less.)
    They will provide you with the name of a "local" attorney.

This is what they might provide:
    Up to $100,000 REIMBURSEMENT for legal fees for a criminal suit. (IF you are found not guilty)
    Up to $500,000 to defend against a civil suit... (But if you were found guilty of the criminal suit?)
    Up to $500.00 a day while you're in court. (probably will not exceed what you actually make in a day + travel expenses to the courtroom, and what if you are found guilty?)

"Insurance" cannot insure against criminal activity on the part of the insured. It is illegal for licensed insurance to do so. So, you must be found not guilty to receive reimbursement.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

1) I travel a lot.. so no guarantee the shooting will occur in PA...
    2) I don't own a lot.. so lets say I need a attorney who wants a pot of gold.. which do you think would attract their attention:
    a).. I am not worth a lot of money but promise to work hard to pay you back before I die..
    b).. I have self-defense insurance and if found not guilty, (which one would hope that is why you are heading this route) they will reimburse your fees to X $'s

I like the mag, I like the website info and I like the insurance..
    could I spent the money on other stuff.. sure.. does the insurance give me peace of mind YEP
    Would I consider changing to another provider should the benefits and cost be better than Delta Defense, yep who wouldn't.. but have not found anything yet
    US Army Retired (2002)

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    1) I travel a lot.. so no guarantee the shooting will occur in PA...
    2) I don't own a lot.. so lets say I need a attorney who wants a pot of gold.. which do you think would attract their attention:
    a).. I am not worth a lot of money but promise to work hard to pay you back before I die..
    b).. I have self-defense insurance and if found not guilty, (which one would hope that is why you are heading this route) they will reimburse your fees to X $'s

I like the mag, I like the website info and I like the insurance..
    could I spent the money on other stuff.. sure.. does the insurance give me peace of mind YEP
    Would I consider changing to another provider should the benefits and cost be better than Delta Defense, yep who wouldn't.. but have not found anything yet
    Of course, we all hope to never need such a thing anyway... Best wishes to you, and I am glad that you can purchase your peace of mind. If it's worth it to you, it's worth it to you... I just won't recommend it to anyone. But I do advocate for knowing the laws in your home state (at the very least) and to all the states through which you travel.

We have a right to keep and bear arms, it is unfortunate that we have to pay for that right through permitting schemes and licensing. It's more the shame that we have to pay to insure ourselves against wrongful incarceration. Sometimes, the wheels of justice grind slowly, and I'm certain there are many cases in which they grind the wrong direction.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links