Interesting Scenario

Interesting Scenario

This is a discussion on Interesting Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I値l preface this by saying this is ultimately NOT what actually happened, but after an incident last weekend, it got me to thinking. I知 curious ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Interesting Scenario

Interesting Scenario

I値l preface this by saying this is ultimately NOT what actually happened, but after an incident last weekend, it got me to thinking. I知 curious to see what the members of DC have to say on this one. For brevity痴 sake, I値l not include all the details, but enough for you to get the idea and give solid feedback.

You池e at home on a peaceful Sunday morning. The first item on your agenda today is to clean your new toy a 300 BLK rifle WITH suppressor that you had taken out and shot the day before. Before you have a chance to begin the fun of cleaning, you get a call from a close friend and next door neighbor saying that a neighborhood teenager who had been placed in a juvenile home for very erratic, destructive, and irrational behavior has escaped from the home along with two others. This one-time good kid, has made the comment to others in the juvenile home that he 徒nows people who have stuff. While he痴 never seen your guns, he knows that you have them. Before you can hang up with your friend, you hear the sound of glass breaking coming from the front door area of your house. Your pregnant wife and three year old son are also in the house, but at this point, you don稚 know where.

While not your designated home defense weapon, you grab the first thing you can get your hands on your 300 BLK WITH the suppressor. As you round the corner from your bedroom towards the front door area, you see a teenager you don稚 recognize. Screaming at him to get down on the ground and place his hands where you can see them, you see him pull a knife from his pocket. As he brings the knife up, you double tap him COM and as he drops you see two others on your front porch turn and run.

While you have done what you had to do to protect yourself and your family, what are the implications of a self-defense shooting with a suppressed weapon? What say you??
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

It is no different than self-defense with any weapon.

Of course, the DA and Prosecutor might base decisions on many other factors, but this is a non-starter.
    RickyD, gasmitty, Bad Bob and 7 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Shouldn't matter as long as the weapon is legal. Actually it shouldn't matter at all but we know that isn't going to work when you have to explain why you have a unregistered federally regulated weapon.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    You, your wife, your son and your unborn child are all alive and safe. What anyone else says after that has little meaning.

With this said, I cannot see a jury convicting you of anything even IF an overactive DA decides to press charges.
    BenGoodLuck and NH_Esau like this.

The first thing I did was look to see where in the US that the OP was from. When I saw that he was from N.C., I figured that that answered the question about him being prosecuted, or not.

I would be more worried about a politically motivated prosecution over shooting a teenager than what kind of weapon you used. Ultimately, if you live in an anti-gun part of the country, even a good shoot could be problematic. But hopefully, justice would prevail.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Is the suppressor legally owned?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

溺oral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
    - H. G. Wells -

Yes, I should have mentioned....the suppressor is legal.

Mall ninja post
    connsolo likes this.

He broke into my house and ignored my commands to get down on the floor. I will do everything I can to defend myself and my family, with whatever means I have available. I will then call 911.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Mall ninja post
    No...a valid question, to which I was curious to get other's feedback.
    Chasejax and Patterson911 like this.

Everything's legal, a deadly threat was stopped. Unless the kid you dropped was the child of a prominent ACLU lawyer or civil rights advocate, and let's further assume it's in your state and not MA, CA or NYC, should be pretty much a case closed situation.

The suppressed weapon part only comes into play if the circumstances around the shooting get cloudy and the shoot itself is called into question and there is subsequent prosecution.

By the way, in your scenario, why did the two on the front porch run away if they couldn't hear gunshots? It's a suppressed weapon.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wajohnson12 View Post
    No...a valid question, to which I was curious to get other's feedback.
    It is a valid question but IMO not something I would worry about. The intruder broke into your house and refused to listen to your commands to stop and get down and had a lethal weapon in his hand. Providing the gun and suppressor is legal as far as I am concerned nothing can legally be done to you.It is a pretty clear that is a justifiable shooting.

I am not that familiar with the laws of NC but IMO even if it was am illegal suppressor the worst that can happen to you is you get charged with having an illegal suppressor but the shoot would still be SD. I might be wrong on that though.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Not that use of the 300 would be a problem, but wouldn't your EDC do just as well? Had you not already had the 300 out, what would your next option have been?

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Have 911 on the phone, retreat to your bedroom. After all a knife can't easily get through a locked door. He wasn't credibly threatening, you with a gun and him on the floor with a knife.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links