WOW.

WOW.

This is a discussion on WOW. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just saw this video earlier. What are your thoughts?. Still can't believe it. A senior citizen was shot during a traffic stop when a police ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: WOW.

WOW.

Just saw this video earlier. What are your thoughts?. Still can't believe it.
    A senior citizen was shot during a traffic stop when a police officer stopped him for expired tags and mistook his walking stick for a gun.

gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm not a cop nor do I play one on TV. This is just sad all the way around. From the officer to the elderly gentleman to his wife. I have no LE training and will leave the technicalities to you who have. With that being said...all sorts of common sense stuff seems to have been lost in the video. Why did the elderly man get out? Never get out of the car unless the officer tells you to. Why didn't the officer take a more defensive stance with a 70ish year old man once he grab something (we know it's a cane now) out of his truck? Sometimes all you can ask is why? Wow is right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Unfortunate but this is a learning experience . My advice (I'm not a LEO I am a retired Truck Driver) Is (Especially at night) if Cop wants you to pull over and a public lit area is available close by (Like Gas Station) go there. Roadside pull over Stop engine, Turn on DOME LIGHTS, crank down window a few inches to Talk to officer (Verify it's a REAL OFFICER). Now comes t he important part Keep your hands in plain sight. I prefer hands at top of steering wheel. Be polite and ask officer why you were pulled over (If you don't already know) sometimes it can be for trivial things like an expired plate or a light out, not worth getting shot over.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

A man that old probably remembers a time when getting out of your vehicle when stopped wasnt the big no no it is now and was fairly common. Also this particular man likely has not had a huge career of being pulled over or dealing with LEOs.

I will say he is or was, I dont know if he survived that or not, a tough old bird. He didnt go down and can be heard saying Oh Ill be alright. I hope he lived.

I know there was a thread on this before but I couldnt get the video link to load on that one so this is the first time ive seen that.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If you go to the actual video on youtube it gives a better desciption, Here is what it says
    YORK, SC -- A senior citizen was shot during a traffic stop when a police officer stopped him for expired tags and mistook his walking stick for a gun. Mr. Canipe, a veteran of the Vietnam War, stopped his truck when signaled. Without being prompted, he then proceeded to step out of his pickup truck to see what the problem might be. Lacking the strength to walk properly, Mr. Canipe then reached into his truck to pick up his walking stick, as he had done countless times before. But this time was different. Canipe was in the presence of a police officer. Mr Canipe Survived & Cop is On Paid Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    A man that old probably remembers a time when getting out of your vehicle when stopped wasnt the big no no it is now and was fairly common. Also this particular man likely has not had a huge career of being pulled over or dealing with LEOs.

I will say he is or was, I dont know if he survived that or not, a tough old bird. He didnt go down and can be heard saying Oh Ill be alright. I hope he lived.

I know there was a thread on this before but I couldnt get the video link to load on that one so this is the first time ive seen that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

MR. Canipe will likely be a very financially secure individual in his Golden years over this. Thanks for the info very glad he survived.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I think the cop irresponsibly fired his weapon. A jury will likely feel that same way.

Were there conditions that led the cop to take the actions he did? Yes. Did he think all the way through the decision to pull the trigger? I do not believe so.
    DingBat and gatorbait51 like this.

I thought we did this already

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The days of Andy Griffith and Barney Fife police style is pretty much gone. While that is sad, that is also the reality. If you have not seen this video, its worth watching, even while its very horrible. This was shown to us during our Academy training. Its not a "Brave new world" anymore, its a dangerous new world out-there........

Jeanlouise and gatorbait51 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

What a mess.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    Another case of "Damned if you do...damned if you don't" or in Scott's video, "Damned if you do, dead if you don't"

I can't fault the LEO, it's just sad that we've come to this in today's society.
    Norm66 and gatorbait51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Interesting contrast in the two videos. In the first one, the officer fired well before actually identifying a weapon, while in the second, the officer is shouting when he should be shooting.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Long ago, back in the day when people had social skills, and all were more polite, it was not uncommon for stopped drivers to get out and converse with the LEO about their alleged sins. Nowadays, with the "gun" paranoia on both sides, it is not recommended, and some are too quick on the trigger.

So don't make snide comments about the old guy trying to get out. He (we) are from a kinder, gentler generation that doesn't walk on the edge of survival paranoia.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Interesting contrast in the two videos. In the first one, the officer fired well before actually identifying a weapon, while in the second, the officer is shouting when he should be shooting.
    In the words of Massad Ayoob (on the furtive movement issue), if you wait to see his gun, you'll also get to see what comes out of it.

I'm glad Mr. Canipe is alive and wish him a speedy recovery. He did something foolish, but certainly reasonable and understandable in his situation.

In the responding officer's situation, as soon as I saw the door opening I would have been on the loudspeaker firmly asking him to please stay in his vehicle.

Investigative traffic stops at night are extremely dangerous.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    I'm not a cop nor do I play one on TV. This is just sad all the way around. From the officer to the elderly gentleman to his wife. I have no LE training and will leave the technicalities to you who have. With that being said...all sorts of common sense stuff seems to have been lost in the video. Why did the elderly man get out? Never get out of the car unless the officer tells you to. Why didn't the officer take a more defensive stance with a 70ish year old man once he grab something (we know it's a cane now) out of his truck? Sometimes all you can ask is why? Wow is right.
    The overwhelming majority of Americans have maybe one or two official encounters with LEOs during their entire lives, usually minor, and thus have no understanding whatsoever about the nuances and subtleties associated therein which can make the difference between a brief, uneventful exchange and absolute disaster. They don't carry guns, frequent boards such as this one, or know anything about staying in the vehicle, turning on the dome light, or keeping hands on the steering wheel. They have committed at worst, a minor infraction, and have spent their entire lives as innocent, law-abiding citizens who trust in their own good intentions. They have been taught to trust and respect the police in their training, professionalism and good judgement.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links