Practicing what we preach

This is a discussion on Practicing what we preach within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... Or eating our own dog food. Practicing avoidance, walking away from trouble, whatever you want to call it - it isn't easy. Especially for ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Practicing what we preach

VIP Member

Practicing what we preach

... Or eating our own dog food. Practicing avoidance, walking away from trouble, whatever you want to call it - it isn't easy. Especially for those of us with testosterone.

I had to do it last night, and I'd rather eat broken glass.

I won't go into great detail as the purpose of this post is more philosophical than tactical. However, yesterday evening a young buck and his girlfriend drove their truck into my backyard to enjoy my pond. The net of the situation was that I approached him (concealed) and asked them to leave, to which they refused and the thug-wanna-be felt the need to show his manhood to his girlfriend by fighting me. I simply told him that if he touched me, it would be a grave mistake and that he better be gone before I called the police to block the only entrance/exit to my back yard. I then walked away while he taunted me on my own property. Once I was at a safe distance, I started to call the police and they got in their truck and left.

If you're thinking I should have dog-stomped him, here's what would likely have happened; He takes a severe beating and resorts to pulling a knife (every guy around here carries at least a knife), once he pulls his knife, I have to shoot him. Not the preferred outcome. Pepper spray would have been an optimal tool for me to have in this situation.

Forget eating broken glass, I'd rather be dragged naked through broken glass than refraining from pounding the little meth-head again. Avoidance sucks, and it's more difficult for some of us than others. For those of you who have or will refrain in similar situations, my hat is off to you. If we ever meet I'll buy you a beer or coffee. It is far more difficult than doing what has been genetically programmed into men for many thousands of years.

2. Remove Ads

Admirable restraint.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sounds to me like he had to eat crow and slink away with his GF.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Whec, you owe me a coffee. You have stated it very well! It is much harder to use the wise option than do what I would like to do, dispense some justice.

Very hard to do, especially on your own place, but I commend you for your restraint.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Well done. I have taken taunts and walked away from crap when I've been out on the street. It has not been all that difficult for me. ON MY OWN PROPERTY? Well done sir, because I feel absolutely the same way about having to walk away from that. But you did 100% the right thing.

To threaten you on your own property, I have a feeling you'll get another chance at decision making with this character.

I have much more respect for restraint than I do for the "tough guy" attitude.

VIP Member
    You did the right thing, WHEC724. Thank you for sharing your experience and for reinforcing a valuable lesson. The reason we carry is to defend ourselves when there are no other options left. Walking away, de-escalating the situation, is one of the hardest things to do, but in the long run, we'll live longer and be the better for it.

As niks pointed out, since this was on your own property, you might want to get the license plate in the future and call the police just to let them know that you we're threatened. Good to have a paper record.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Great restraint on your part. I hope that when he brags about to his friends someone points out to him that his little stunt could have got him hurt really bad or worse and maybe he might learn from it. I doubt it but we can hope.

My brothers and I own quite a bit of land that have been in the family for years. It is used by quite a few hunters and snowmobilers and maybe even an occasional person out for a nature walk. The majority of the people that you see are extremely polite and when you tell them places we do not want them to park or go they say no problem but every once in a while you run into jerks that argue with you about it. They are usually told to not come back.

A tough person can take another person. A really tough person knows it and restrains themselves from doing it except as a final resort.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    You did the right thing, WHEC724. Thank you for sharing your experience and for reinforcing a valuable lesson. The reason we carry is to defend ourselves when there are no other options left. Walking away, de-escalating the situation, is one of the hardest things to do, but in the long run, we'll live longer and be the better for it.

As niks pointed out, since this was on your own property, you might want to get the license plate in the future and call the police just to let them know that you we're threatened. Good to have a paper record.
    I neglected to mention that I took both of their pictures and the license plate of his truck while speaking to them.

Now I have to refrain from posting it here.

Well Done! Emotions mean reactions. Wisdom prefers to plan. IMHO, all of us "once formidable" graybeards still operate from a paradigm of belief that a good & sound (physical) attitude-adjustment is the most simple, effective means of dealing with punk. We are WRONG. Common sense, reasonable behavior & the black/white of right/wrong is now universally "gray". I would rather shave my butt with a weed-eater and sit in a bowl of gin than let a punk's actions force me to restrain myself. Yet, as my dear ol' Pappy regularly reminded me - Regardless of circumstances or apparent evidence to the contrary, a cooler head always prevails. Thanks for the story & the lesson. (Now go put some Claymores out around the pond and next time, enjoy the fireworks.)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whec724 View Post
    i neglected to mention that i took both of their pictures and the license plate of his truck while speaking to them.

Now i have to refrain from posting it here.
    that made my day!!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    One of the harder things to remember is that your original intention was to get the little so and so off your property. Kicking butt and throwing him off would have been satisfying but the the phone call was just as effective with less legal and medical ramifications.

When the blood gets hot, focus on the objective.

Well done and I congratulate you on saving someone's life - his or yours.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links