How to handle someone following you

This is a discussion on How to handle someone following you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was not in this position, but it seems like a common scenario and I would rather think about what I would do before it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: How to handle someone following you

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was not in this position, but it seems like a common scenario and I would rather think about what I would do before it happens.

Pretty simple scenario. You leave a store, walking down the street or whatever and someone starts following you. What do you do? How would it change if 2 or more people are following you?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member
    Personally, I would try to avoid them by going into a very public place and dialing 911.
    Should this not be viable after making sure they were actually following, I'd confront them.
    Not for the faint of heart, I know. Just that when avoidance is impossible, I'll take the initiative.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I wouldn't be too concerned, unless they kept doing it. That's occurred more than once, and in one case (2 younger men) I just stopped and sat down on a little wall in front of a shop .... waited.... when they eventually walked on by, then I followed them around for awhile. Seems they didn't like that turn of events too much. I guess I made them feel "uncomfortable" .

You can always go in some place very public and tell the proprieter to notify the police, or call them yourself.

Other times, I have stopped and asked them "what do you need " ... ..... was always ready if they got stupid and kept my eye on their hands, etc.

Saw someone doing it to my now-Ex , and they had spotters, and it was an obvious purse snatch and run deal.... called the police, they arrived, had plains clothes walk with me while I discretly pointed them out and who was where,.... what they had been doing, etc.... then I got my wife and her friend and talked to them... let them know we were going to use them as bait...... and I would be nearby as well watching closely (discretely).... walked away as if I was going somewhere else ( set them up) . Police caught 6 men in their 20's and arrested all of them when they "went for it". Ooops... bad day for the thieves. To this day , I still smile when the 2 'grabbers' ... one to grab each woman's purse..... looked up and say me standing there (2 plain clothes were behind me, but they didn't know they were) ...... blocking their path, and when they ran the other direction .... met the police in plain clothes and then about 4 uniformed officers came into it. I got a thank you later from the Police Dept..... seems all of the purse snatchings they had been having in that area nearly disappeared after these guys went to jail.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This is a truly unpleasant scenario. There are any number of ways a BG could attempt to display innocence and work to get inside your personal zone of defense (less than 7 yards) by saying something like, "I was really interested in.... (something related to an article of clothing you may be wearing) while the snake is actually just working to get close enough to strike!
    Eagleks and Paladin3840 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'll go with public places for $200, Alex.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Keep moving and call 911. Only confront if you have no choice. If you do confront, do not hesitate. No one follows another with good intentions, so If it were me, I would already be gun in hand and as soon as I turned around it would be leveled on the closest one. I would rather have the element of suprise than worry about wether or not will get arrested for drawing my gun.
    molleur, Gun_guy and Zimblast like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Personally, I would try to avoid them by going into a very public place and dialing 911.
    Should this not be viable after making sure they were actually following, I'd confront them.
    Not for the faint of heart, I know. Just that when avoidance is impossible, I'll take the initiative.
    I like this technique and edited to add: "I'd confront them. With my hand in my pocket or jacket." Prolly get someone's attention....
    WrongRecroom and molleur like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Obviously people can mistakely think someone is following them so the key is find out which it is as soon as possible. Force the other people to declare their intentions sooner than they want to. You do this by making lots of U-turns because that is not normal behavior. Make eye contact with them so they know you are on to them. You can also sit and wait, if it is someplace that you think is a good location to do so. Just make sure that you stay around a lot of people and pick a good defensible position if you need to. Then call the police early. If you make a call and look at them, most people will probably get the idea.
    molleur and Paladin3840 like this.

I was in my 1962 Flower Power Volkswagen Bug a while back one Saturday riding around enjoying the nice weather. I noticed a car following me for quite a while. I decided to make 3 right turn (the standard test to tell if someone is following you) and sure enough, 3 right turns later it's still following me. I headed back towards where I live and turned into a grocery store parking lot with other stores there and the car turns in. I park in a spot over to the side by the dry cleaners (I needed to pick up a dress shirt anyway) and it pulls in beside me (after about 30 minutes of following me). A hot chick gets out and says, "Thank God you finally stopped. Can I look at your car and take some pictures? I decided I was going to keep following you until you stopped somewhere." I said sure, we talked for about 20 minutes or so, she took lots of pictures, asked me about the car, the art, about me, etc. Really cool conversation with a very cool and beautiful lady. I say all of this to say sometimes someone following you is a good thing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I was in my 1962 Flower Power Volkswagen Bug a while back one Saturday riding around enjoying the nice weather. I noticed a car following me for quite a while. I decided to make 3 right turn (the standard test to tell if someone is following you) and sure enough, 3 right turns later it's still following me. I headed back towards where I live and turned into a grocery store parking lot with other stores there and the car turns in. I park in a spot over to the side by the dry cleaners (I needed to pick up a dress shirt anyway) and it pulls in beside me (after about 30 minutes of following me). A hot chick gets out and says, "Thank God you finally stopped. Can I look at your car and take some pictures? I decided I was going to keep following you until you stopped somewhere." I said sure, we talked for about 20 minutes or so, she took lots of pictures, asked me about the car, the art, about me, etc. Really cool conversation with a very cool and beautiful lady. I say all of this to say sometimes someone following you is a good thing.
    Did you get her number...and does she have a sister?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I use these:
    Rearview Spy Glasses
    Rear View Spay Glasses
    spyglasses.jpg
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

If I were being followed on foot, I would call 911 first then immediately try to find a place to go where other people are located and prepare to run if need be. If I started to run and they ran after me, I would probably turn into them if I were sure I couldnt escape and were sure they ment to harm me. I would rather fight head on rather than trying to recover from someone jumping on me from behind.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    First thing would be to make sure they were in fact following me. Random changes of direction, at spots not normally where changes would take place. Once I was sure I was being followed, head into a populated place, preferably a store with quite a few customers. If they follow me in, confront them. Put them on the defensive by asking loud enough for everyone around to hear "What are you following me for? You've been following me for (x number) blocks!" Then call the police and wait for them to arrive and file a report.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Male? Female?... Female?

Seriously, I'm with the; verify, go public and confront crowd.
    Who knows, they may be with Clearing House
    Jackster likes this.

Start arguing with yourself, loudly, and twitch your head ever so slightly, while drooling.

To be honest, it will depend on the specific circumstances, but many of the above could be options.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links