First aid after a legitimate shoot?

This is a discussion on First aid after a legitimate shoot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just because you are CPR certified does not mean that you are required at any time to give first aid. You do not have to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First aid after a legitimate shoot?

Just because you are CPR certified does not mean that you are required at any time to give first aid. You do not have to if you do not want to.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Some States have good samaritin laws were you are required to render aid at an accident etc... would these apply here?

I don't think they are enforced in Alabama much just something to add to the charges if some one leaves the scene of an accident.

We have some lawyers on this forum maybe one will chime in.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'm thinking "NO".

Besides, if he survived, I wouldn't want him suing me for putting a tourniquet on wrong or something.....

OTOH, if he's really worthless, maybe his family would sue me if he survived for being too bad a shot to kill him....

Or if he lived because I provided him with first aid, maybe someone he robs in the future could sue me for not killing him and thus preventing him from hurting them!

Too risky.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I'm thinking "NO".

Besides, if he survived, I wouldn't want him suing me for putting a tourniquet on wrong or something.....
    Good samaritan laws protect you from that, not that it should change you mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Some States have good samaritin laws were you are required to render aid at an accident etc... would these apply here?
    It's a practical impossibility to force someone to save the life of someone who just attempted to take the life of the victim. If someone finds such a law that actually requires such a thing, I'll eat my hat.

"Good sam" laws I've seen almost require that the one being helped is "in the right" and not a violent criminal in the act of being stopped during commission of a crime, for it to have any meaning. To require anything else has no moral grounding and no compelling basis.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 3rd, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon - if we do have to go that extra mile and a BG gets shot - it is a case of - ''he invited the confrontation''.

That said there is something in many of us which does prefer to save a life than destroy it - usually!

I changed the title of this thread to ''legitimate'' as against ''good''. Somehow to me no shoot is ''good'' per se. I would rather avoid any!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Thanks for making the change p95, the made for tv lingo was bothering me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thanks for making the change p95, the made for tv lingo was bothering me too.
    Nothing Hollywood about it, this is the terminology that has been used for years. Sorry, it may not be politicaly correct today, but than again what is?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

As I've mentioned before in response to this question: DO NOT "render aid". The moment you fire your weapon, you demonstrate a vested interest in terminating the target's life. You WILL have to be able to justify, beyond Standards of Care, every action you take- did the individual you shot die/were they permanantly disabled because of the wound (legally inflicted) or by mal-intent, actions that worsened the injury? I say this as a pre-hospital caregiver- leave the aid to persons with no demonstrable vested interest.

If you want to feel good about yourself, make sure you know when to shoot, and how best to avoid that circumstance. Contemplating other actions is dangerous when you don't fully recognize the consequences.

I wouldn't go within 10 feet of him. 1) I'm not a doc, nurse, EMT, or anything medical. I have no clue what to do. I'd probably do more harm than good. 2) He did something that made me draw and fire, and then I'm supposed to try to save his life? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I'd call 911 and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Well, I'm not a lawyer but I know enough to be wary of administering First Aid on strangers. Sad but true in this day and age that any family of someone who dies while you had your hands upon him trying to save him can and likely will sue you..

Can only speak 100% for VA. but am sure the other 49 states all have a "Good Samaritan" law on the books. These laws prevent you from being sued by providing BASIC first aid or other life saving efforts. These apply as long as you are acting in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Just as the title says, are we required to administer first aid to the BG after a justified shoot?
    Take this scenario,
    You shoot BG it is a justified good shoot, you have disarmed him and have called 911 and reported the incident and requested law and medical attention. The BG passes out and stops breathing, you are trained and certified in CPR, the BG is no longer a threat are you under any obligation to help this guy? I say no, but a friend of mine says yes. When I received my CPR training years ago nothing was mention about having a legal obligation to use it, moral maybe but not legal. What do y'all think and what would you do?
    No, there is no obligation to administer first aid despite your training, unless you are in a hospital and then it falls under EMTALA rules/laws. If you did assist and the guy died, well... you shot him in the first place.

Most states have a "good samaritan" law that holds you from liability if you assist and a person dies and you are acting in a responsible and credible manner. If you do things not consistent with the problem, for example, place an emergency "cric" in a person who is breathing well and only has a leg wound you could be in hot water.

If you shot the guy, I'd suggest a call 911 and then wait for the red and blue lights, with your gun holstered and out of sight.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It would probably be pretty gratifying if the badguy who just tried to kill you or your family member were lying on the ground, gurgling blood, and begged for help to stop the bleeding.

I think it would be fun to kneel beside him and tell him (I'm picturing Tommy Lee Jones doing his "I... don't... bargain" thing): "Help you? Help you? You just tried to kill us... I want you to die!" Let's see his expression then. Before you fault me for being bloodthirsty, let's remember that we're talking about someone who tried to murder your [wife/daughter/son/self]...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It would probably be pretty gratifying if the badguy who just tried to kill you or your family member were lying on the ground, gurgling blood, and begged for help to stop the bleeding.

I think it would be fun to kneel beside him and tell him (I'm picturing Tommy Lee Jones doing his "I... don't... bargain" thing): "Help you? Help you? You just tried to kill us... I want you to die!" Let's see his expression then.
    Wow, that doesn't seem so peaceful J.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

I think it would be fun to kneel beside him and tell him (I'm picturing Tommy Lee Jones doing his "I... don't... bargain" thing): "Help you? Help you? You just tried to kill us... I want you to die!" Let's see his expression then. Before you fault me for being bloodthirsty, let's remember that we're talking about someone who tried to murder your [wife/daughter/son/self]...
    I understand what you are saying, but its never fun to watch someone die, no matter how evil they may be. Its just something that does not leave you for a long time; and if you are the one who did the deed, it will never leave you.
    The gratifying part does not come until after the adreneline dump, and it only lasts a few minutes. Then come all the thoughts about if you are going to come out ok.
    Right after the fact, you won't be as laid back or cool as they are in the movies; you will bouncing off the walls.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links