When my ccw came into play,what would you have done?

This is a discussion on When my ccw came into play,what would you have done? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is my story,me and my wife was celebrating our anniversary so we went to st.louis for the week end.well we had been running ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: When my ccw came into play,what would you have done?

When my ccw came into play,what would you have done?

Ok here is my story,me and my wife was celebrating our anniversary so we went to st.louis for the week end.well we had been running around that day and stopped at a convenience store to grab a drink,so on my way into the store this guy ask me if I had some money to spare and gave me some sad story,I told him no,sorry I don't and went on inside.now I'm on my way back to my car and I notice this same guy walking towards me and then I see 3 or 4 others coming up on all sides of my car,so I hurry up and jump in my car,lock my doors,and make sure my windows was up,I told my wife to get back from the windows I started my car but they were coming from all sides so I I pulled out my handgun and chambered a round cause there was no way I could take all these guys by myself,plus I had my wife to worry about,I was in fear for our lives,well as I chambered it one of the guys seen it and they all ran to the same vehicle and left.now my question is what could I have done different to prevent pulling my gun in that situation.(one thing is I now carry one in the tube) cause this whole altercation probably lasted 30 sec to minute if that

2. Remove Ads

Well, if a group of menacing men are surrounding you and your wife, blocking off your escape route, then I see that as a prime example of when you should pull your gun. That's a good example of why we need SYG laws.

Why do you feel you shouldn't have drawn on them?
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Sounds to me like you did the right thing. I would have done exactly the same as you, maybe have your wife call the police. other than that you did exactly what you should have. Good show.
    Patterson911 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    First, good to see them coming and recognize the danger.

From there, my recommendations would be a) keep a round in the chamber - if that was an emergency the extra time could have cost you your life. And b) if you had time to draw and chamber, you had time to drive away. Nothing beats avoiding the situation, especially against multiple BG's. The draw and shoot has to be your last resort.

Welcome to the forum.

Happy Anniversary How many years?

You and the wife made it back to the Hotel. Sounds like everything worked out for the best.

Now imagine how this could have gone if you did not believe in guns and called 911 you said this lasted seconds and I am guessing the police would arrive around 3 to five minutes after they had hurt you and the wife and stolen any items of value.

sorry, i cant believe the story. they went to St. louis to celebrate? sorry, couldn't help myself

It sounds like you did everything right except for having to chamber a round. If something similar happens again, you may want to call 9-1-1 and report it just in case they call about some guy brandishing a gun. The first 9-1-1 call usually has more credence.
    spclopr8tr, molleur, TVJ and 1 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Glad it turned out well.

As far as a non-firearm solution: You started your car, could you have just hit it in reverse? You said they surrounded you, but can 3-4 human beings successfully hinder the movement of an automobile with just their bodies? I guess it'd depend on the car.

Then again, skidmarking them would have caused bodily harm; funny how the gun turned out to be the "non-violent" approach.
    maxwell97, fredg53, niks and 2 others like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I would have added... have wife jump in back seat arm her with edc knife and instruct her to call police. Then again, easy to say, hard to remember in the heat of a moment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whinebag View Post
    Ok here is my story,me and my wife was celebrating our anniversary so we went to st.louis for the week end.well we had been running around that day and stopped at a convenience store to grab a drink,so on my way into the store this guy ask me if I had some money to spare and gave me some sad story,I told him no,sorry I don't and went on inside.now I'm on my way back to my car and I notice this same guy walking towards me and then I see 3 or 4 others coming up on all sides of my car,so I hurry up and jump in my car,lock my doors,and make sure my windows was up,I told my wife to get back from the windows I started my car but they were coming from all sides so I I pulled out my handgun and chambered a round cause there was no way I could take all these guys by myself,plus I had my wife to worry about,I was in fear for our lives,well as I chambered it one of the guys seen it and they all ran to the same vehicle and left.now my question is what could I have done different to prevent pulling my gun in that situation.(one thing is I now carry one in the tube) cause this whole altercation probably lasted 30 sec to minute if that
    The part in bold is not good. Keep your weapon in a ready state.

That being said, you now know how fast things can happen. Other than me saying something stupid like " dont go there " IMO you did what was necessary to get you and your wife out of a situation. I am glad it worked out.
    molleur and TVJ like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Yea, I was gonna say, don't carry an empty gun. If it had been loaded as it should have been, you probably would have just put it in gear and got out of Dodge. You were probably safe in the car with the windows up and the doors locked for a short time, at least time enough to start it and go. No matter how many bodies were around your car, they would not stop it from leaving. Might make for a bumpy ride, but wouldn't stop you.
    NONAME762 and smolck like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

When it comes to protecting my wife, The BG's would have gotten either my bumper or what you did. In that fight or flight response, all that is missing is the call to 911
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Question: Was your gun in your car or on you?

Not trying to Monday Morning QB this….. but did you have to walk towards them to get into your car? or away from them?

Just some food for thought. If your spider senses are going off, move in the opposite direction. When your in your car and the car is off your a stationary target.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

To quote from the worst case manual ... In case of car being surrond by mob .. It turns out mortal flesh is no match for a couple tons of steel moving fast ( hey you were in fear of your life ) ..

But it sounds like you made it home ok .. Really a couple dudes come at me and I see that and belvie it to be a threat hand is on gun .. I am yelling get back now and getting the h e double hockey sticks out of there ..

If I was alone I am going back in store and calling the police ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

OP, Monday morning quarterbacking from my lazy-boy is not something I generally choose to do. However, given similar circumstances (minus the empty chamber), I think I would have done something very similar. When the adrenalin kicks in, logic sometimes takes a holiday. That is where the training comes in. Any of us who carry should always envision what we would do under different circumstances and rehearse in our minds. Professional training is also recommended. There are many courses, including IDPA competitions, that would contribute to preparedness. But until we walk a mile in your shoes, it is unfair to second guess your actions.
    rutcrazed likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links