Wife and Kids Stumbled Into Middle Of Felony Car Stop!

This is a discussion on Wife and Kids Stumbled Into Middle Of Felony Car Stop! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, my wife and daughter picked-up my son from school and took him to baseball practice. Immediately after turning turning through an intersection, my wife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Wife and Kids Stumbled Into Middle Of Felony Car Stop!

Wife and Kids Stumbled Into Middle Of Felony Car Stop!

Yesterday, my wife and daughter picked-up my son from school and took him to baseball practice. Immediately after turning turning through an intersection, my wife saw a car parked at an odd angle in the lane of travel. Thinking nothing of it, she closed the distance and began to drive around it. Only at that time did she see the plain cloths officer hiding behind the engine of the car, sidearm drawn over the hood. This was right out my son's window as they drove by! He also saw another plain cloths officer pointing an M4 at the suspects vehicle, located nearby on the side street. This was at 5:00 pm at Baseline & 12th Street on Chautauqua Hill in Boulder- not exactly in da` hood...

My wife was kinda shaken-up by the event, because had the situation gone south when she was driving by, her car would have been the backdrop for any shots coming from the suspect. Another few blocks down the street she met three cruisers coming full speed with lights and sirens, hopefully to close the road and establish a perimeter.

Today I found out the suspect's car matched the getaway vehicle from a local convenience store robbery and this event was the stop that put him into custody.

Lessons Learned:

- Take notice of anything unusual while driving and be prepared to seek another route if necessary.
    - If you do stumble into an active police situation, GET OUT OF THERE! The last then they want are looky-loos...

Boulder police make arrest in Lolita's Market robbery - Boulder Daily Camera

Lolita's robbery suspect arrested
    gatorbait51 and surefire7 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Some things you just cant avoid...
    We cant stop our vehicles and go the other way for every car we see on the side of the road.

She did the right thing, put distance between them and the situation. Not much you can do. We cant stop when wr see flashing lights either. Best to just keep moving. Get past it as quickly and safely as possible.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Looks like the cops failed to control the scene.
    Taurahe, gatorbait51 and Hodad like this.

Looks like a felony car stop.

Scary. Glad everything turned out alright though. Except for the suspect that is.

I fail to see how the police "failed to control the scene" though. It was obviously a developing situation that had just happened. Cops aren't supermen flying faster than the speed of sound after all.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I know the cruisers weren't there yet but it amazes me that the police would not have some other type of control on the situation.

I'm glad you wife and children got out of it fine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I know the cruisers weren't there yet but it amazes me that the police would not have some other type of control on the situation.

Back up was called for. They had a possibly armed robbery suspect they were attempting to contain. What should they have done? Let him go? Stand out in the middle of the road directing traffic with a big bulls-eye target on their back? Or maybe played Hollywood cop and commandeer the first vehicle driving by to block the road? Playing traffic cop was probably the last thing on their minds!
    RickyD, Rattlehead, OD* and 9 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Anytime. Anywhere.

You never know. Even in the car, or heading home from errands, or while picking up the kids, or on a quiet little street, or ...
    kukla and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Back up was called for. They had a possibly armed robbery suspect they were attempting to contain. What should they have done? Let him go? Stand out in the middle of the road directing traffic with a big bulls-eye target on their back? Or maybe played Hollywood cop and commandeer the first vehicle driving by to block the road? Playing traffic cop was probably the last thing on their minds!
    Agree with this - it sounds like they stumbled on this scene right as it was unfolding. The cops need to focus on the armed BG's here - the story does mention a weapon.

Once again shows us just how fast things can get sideways. Sometimes the fight comes to you and this shows that sometimes you can accidentally wander into the fight.

Very happy it turned out well.

Glad your family is OK. Unfortunately no script writer to write whose on scene.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    We are naturally programmed to focus on our immediate surroundings. When you are moving at "on foot" speeds this is OK. But when you get in a car and start travelling at 30 to 75 mph you will find yourself right in the middle of things before you know it. She needs to learn to keep her eyes up and elevated. A driver should be scanning the road up to half a mile ahead in order to make adjustments and avoid problems.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    It sounds like she just turned on to the side street. Unless she has X-ray vision not sure how she could have seen a 1/2 mile ahead of her. She said the car was at a weird angle and she could not see the LE right off. What could she have done different?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post

LOL. How are they supposed to control the scene when there's only two of them, and they just got there?
    Norm66, Crescentstar, mkh and 1 others like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Stuff happens.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    ..., and then it happens again!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links