French Quarter Experience

This is a discussion on French Quarter Experience within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my family and I took a trip to New Orleans to support our eldest son and the robotics team that he is apart of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: French Quarter Experience

Well, my family and I took a trip to New Orleans to support our eldest son and the robotics team that he is apart of at the Bayou FIRST Robotics competition in Kenner last weekend. After the competition, we spent a couple days down in the French Quarter for a first-time experience. Having yet to sport my Alien Gear IWB Holster, which anchored my Shield9, I thought this would be a great time to wear it. So, on the 2nd day of meandering through the streets of the FQ, my youngest son decided he wanted to stop and watch one of the street performers attempt to escape from being strapped in a straight jacket while chained up, so we did. As the guy was setting up his "stage", he encouraged everyone nearby to get closer and stand near the make-shift perimeter that he had made with water. So, I reluctantly walked in closer with my family. The guy began his pre-show by engaging the crowd; he was very boisterous, to say the least, and maybe a little high on something or maybe it was just his personality. Anyways, he asked for a volunteer, which he picked a guy who obviously was drunk, but still coherent. When we had initially walked in closer to stand near the perimeter, I intentionally stood behind my family because I had a funny feeling he would choose me to be part of his act; well, that didn't work. Once I got out onto his "stage", he instructed me and the other fella to perform a couple wacky, motivational acts using juggling clubs to get the crowd pumped up. He then began his main show, which involved us tugging on the straight jacket to show the crowd that it was the real deal. He then had us strap him in the jacket followed by wrapping him up with the 2 chains, as we went over and under one another to get him tightly strapped in. During this entire time, I tried to discretely check a couple times to make sure my shirt was fully covering my gun, as I was a bit concerned that my S&W was going to be exposed and have someone notice it out of a crowd of 75-100 people or so. Fortunately, it remained concealed the entire time! Whew!!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Brought to you by S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Holstered by Alien Gear

What would have happened if they noticed?
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    They probably would have thought you were an off duty cop, out with his family, and enjoyed the show.
    WrongRecroom and BARFO like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Likely nobody would have noticed--lots of people out there who DON'T want to see things around them.

Hopefully BARFO now has more confidence in his gear.
    BamaT, Rock and Glock and BARFO like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Where's the punch line to the story or did I miss something? It is early morning here after all.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

VIP Member
    2 thoughts here. I refuse to let someone draw me into something I don't want to do. If they insist, I leave. The other thing that comes to mind, this is a perfect opportunity for a pick pocket to ply his trade. He has a group of people who are distracted, the majority of them tourist with money to spend. He may or may not be working in conjunction with the street performer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    2 thoughts here. I refuse to let someone draw me into something I don't want to do. If they insist, I leave. The other thing that comes to mind, this is a perfect opportunity for a pick pocket to ply his trade. He has a group of people who are distracted, the majority of them tourist with money to spend. He may or may not be working in conjunction with the street performer.
    Good points, I've walked away before myself when someone tried to rope me in. I had not really thought about the pick pocket side but your right about it being the perfect setup and opportunity.
    BamaT likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Probably nothing, but being this was my first time carrying any length of time, particularly out of state and in such a place as the FQ, I was just a little nervous. It was all good, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Keeping pick-pocketers in mind, I was frequently checking myself. You're right about those who try to set people up, but maybe that was a good thing that I participated. If I was just standing along with the watchers, the chances of getting pick-pocketed would have been greater.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Can't blame you for carrying in the FQ. NO is not the nicest of cities.

My wife and I visited our Army friends for Mardi Gras in 2005 (yup- just before Katrina). There are certain streets that tourists DO NOT cross if they want to remain healthy and in possession of their valuables.

Glad you had fun and gained confidence in your rig.
    WrongRecroom, molleur and BARFO like this.

I've always enjoyed the FQ, my kids like the street performers better than some of the paid attractions. We always have to stop at the Cafe' du Monde. I've never had trouble in the FQ. But I do recount one time when we found knives behind several bushes, either planted there or dropped. So it has since brought up my situation awareness of crowded areas.

Lock 'n Load, Tapatalk!!

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Whenever someone 'asks for a volunteer' and then pics me, I tell them no thanks. They are welcome to rent me but I doubt they can afford my time. Do I sound like a jackass? Probably, but I don't really care especially if it is a street performer in Nawlins.

As for pick pockets, it is not just ME that I'm worried about, but moreso my wife. Don't forget people get into purses and bags just as easy as pockets.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My only NO experience is when my family had to RON there on a trip to Acapulco. We wandered through the French Quarter and visited the cemeteries, etc. I can remember walking down Bourbon Street and how exciting and daring all the bars looked. That was about 54 years ago when I was 7-8. It made quite the impression even at that age!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    Where's the punch line to the story or did I miss something? It is early morning here after all.
    Sorry, no punch line to this story. Of course, I could've spiced it up a bit, or maybe that I could've said that I had witnessed a young guy rummaging through an old man's belongings; the old man appeared to be a local. Then I could've said to the young guy, after I had checked my surroundings, to leave the old man alone. Then the young guy turned towards me, started to walk in my direction as if to confront me. I told the guy in a polite tone that I didn't want any trouble and to stop. He refused and proceeded to walk towards me. Knowing that he wasn't going to back off, I lifted my shirt and placed my hand on my gun. The guy immediately stopped, said a few choice words, and left. I watched the guy leave, and as he turned the corner, I went up to where he had turned to make sure he continued on his way. I then returned to the old man to make sure he was ok. Instead of giving him $$, I went to Cafe' Du Monde and got him a cup of coffee and beignets. He thanked me, and I left to enjoy the sights and sounds of what the FQ continued to offer me. Is that better
    CWOUSCG and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My only NO experience is when my family had to RON there on a trip to Acapulco. We wandered through the French Quarter and visited the cemeteries, etc. I can remember walking down Bourbon Street and how exciting and daring all the bars looked. That was about 54 years ago when I was 7-8. It made quite the impression even at that age!
    I don't think Bourbon Street has changed a bit from when you had visited it last.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links