Confused Samaritan

Confused Samaritan

This is a discussion on Confused Samaritan within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So OakChas's most recent newsbreak, about good samiritan getting shot in the face trying to help remindned me of a little incident that happened this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Confused Samaritan

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

Confused Samaritan

So OakChas's most recent newsbreak, about good samiritan getting shot in the face trying to help remindned me of a little incident that happened this last Saturday.

The wife and are going to wal-mart. we have our two twon toddlers in the back of our suburban.
    Right outside our neighborhood is a little liquor store.
    We are sitting at a red light, she is driving. I have my 642 in my pocket, normal rig.
    a man is walking his dog, WITH A BABY IN A BACKPACK. He is in hiking attire, it's was a little cold here this weekend (prolly a lot cold for some of you!)
    the man is standing at the crosswalk to cross in front of us.
    from up the street to the right comes a pit bull, charging, with a leash attached.
    it goes straight for this guys dog. Remember he has a baby in a backpack.
    He turns and tries to put himself between the oncoming pit, and his dog. He kicks at the pitbull.
    My wife is yelling at me to "go help him" at about the time the pit is on top of them and he is trying to push it away from his dog.
    I open my door and am about to jump out (my wife is traffic, light is still red) when I see this dog is not in attack mode, but rather wants to play with this guys dog.
    ok, I calmly close my door.
    but this dog is definitely being zealous. it is all over this guy.
    So he turns and starts to try to go into the liquor store.
    I presume to get away form this.
    Well, he can't keep the dog from fighting into the store. So he backs back out, at this point I get out. right as the light turns green. I signal my wife to go around the block.
    as I am getting out the guy finally gets into the store and manages to keep the dog out.
    I know this whole scene will replicate itself with this guy when he leaves, or with another person.
    So I call the dog, it comes right to me, tail wagging, and I tie it to the dumpster in the LQ's parking lot
    I go into the store and explain to the clerk he may want to call animal control as there is a stray, possibly dangerous pitbull tied to his dumpster. The guy with the kid and dog realizes what I did and thanks me profusely.
    I met up with my wife and we left.
    I never really considered gpoing for my gun, and maybe I shouldn't have gotten involved, but this thing could've been BAD.
    not sure what I'm looking for from ya'll, but thought I would share and let everyone dissect this event.

Dingbat
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I'm 100% sure someone will be along shortly to tell you 10 different ways you went wrong and probably your wife too but I think you handled it just fine. Made the call the dog wasn't dangerous and dealt with it. Not every situation calls for reaching for the firearm.

Distinguished Member
    Put it this way. If I am ever in a situation like that, I hope you are driving by!
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Distinguished Member
    Don't know what else you could have done. If the dog wasn't attacking why go all out. Great outcome and no one was hurt, I'd say you did everything fine.
    Taurahe, DingBat and Bekkers like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    You did a nice thing and helped someone when they really needed it. Good for you.
    DingBat, Taurahe and Bekkers like this.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Nice job.
    DingBat and Bekkers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    Don't know what else you could have done. If the dog wasn't attacking why go all out. Great outcome and no one was hurt, I'd say you did everything fine.
    Sometimes doing what is right, is the right thing to do...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Good outcome, well done!
    DingBat and Bekkers like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I agree with everyone else that has posted so far, you acted accordingly and did a fellow human being, and a playful, yet over-zealous, dog a favor. Most folks see a pit and something just short circuits in their tiny little unevolved brains, just like with the "evil black rifles" and openly carried personal defense handguns. I've owned 3 pitbulls in my life, and have been repeatedly dissappointed by humans whenever I took the dogs into public.

Never was disappointed with the pits though. Go Figure....
    Bekkers and DingBat like this.

thanks guys. It was a pretty horrible heart dropping moment when that dog closed the last 4-6 feet on that guy. it was a full sprint and we had no idea what it was going to do. I had visions of the dog knocking the guy down, with the baby in the pack that could be bad. my wife was thinking the same thing. Though I am sure he was more panicked than were! as we were leaving I was like "man, should I have tied it to that business' dumpster?" I surely didn't want to hold it's leash and wait for animal control, that could've been half the day..! I kind of kick myself for not getting out sooner, if it had been vicious it might've put all kinds of hurt on the guy, his kid, his dog... but by the time I did do anything the guy was safely inside, and all I did was tie a strange dog, that I'm sure some owner was looking for, to the dumpster of a business with some poor young kid behind the counter hwo probably didn't need to deal with that either. The dog did NOT have tags, I looked, so I don't feel to bad for the owner. I am not a pit-bull hater, but anyone should have tags on a pet if they live in the city...

I guess it goes to show how something so simple, with a complete stranger, that turned out to be a totally harmless experience, that was a simple animal and not a complex and cunning human... was such a dynamic, and complicated scenario, with split second decisions that could've had life altering effects. I mean, had the dog attacked, I couldn't have shot anyway, it would've been a tangled mess of two dogs, an adult, and a child all in one probably screaming, barking, biting mass....can't shoot into that...so do I reach into it? I can say I probably would have, to help save that guys kid? absolutely. but how something so simple can be so complicated.
    herpjunkie likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    I agree with everyone else that has posted so far, you acted accordingly and did a fellow human being, and a playful, yet over-zealous, dog a favor. Most folks see a pit and something just short circuits in their tiny little unevolved brains, just like with the "evil black rifles" and openly carried personal defense handguns. I've owned 3 pitbulls in my life, and have been repeatedly dissappointed by humans whenever I took the dogs into public.

Never was disappointed with the pits though. Go Figure....
    ever see "PitBull's and Parolee's" ...? my wife loves that show, she's bugging me for a pit so bad now... I'm like we already have a mastiff/german shepherd mix...
    herpjunkie likes this.

Good Samaritan, setting a good example to help bring common decency back into this world!

I want to echo what was mentioned before and Pit Bulls to the dog world are comparable to AR15s to the rifle world. A lot of judgement from those that do not know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DingBat likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    What is not to like? Well-played straight down the line.
    glockman10mm and DingBat like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    Honestly, I can't think of a single suggestion. Well done,
    DingBat likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

You kept a level head and assessed the situation before acting. That's what is most important here. Good job, sir. I see a lot of people on these forums who say they don't get involved with any altercation when they are carrying unless it involves a family member. I am not that way. If I see someone in trouble I will go out of my way to help them like you did. Then again, I am one of the few who served in a combat position in Baghdad which involved running towards the sound of gun fire versus running from it; not everyone is built like that. However, if you are brave enough to intervene and possibly save someone's life you have to remember to keep a level head and observe before acting. You did good. A+
    Bekkers and DingBat like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links