Scared wife

Scared wife

This is a discussion on Scared wife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. My wife tells me while she was taking the dog out tonight that a couple "ghetto looking" guys were ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Scared wife

Scared wife

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. My wife tells me while she was taking the dog out tonight that a couple "ghetto looking" guys were driving by.When they stopped at the stop sign by our place they stayed there for a good minute or so watching her.She is a little paranoid about it and me being the man of the house am too a little considering im not there and wont be there for a little bit longer. I told her to start going in and out of the garage and to open carry the .45 with her when she takes the dog out thinking this would make someone think twice about doing something. I also told her next time it happens to get a good description of the car and then call the police and talk to them about it. Is there really anything else that can be done to make the wife feel more safe? Maybe put up some cameras? any ideas? Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Do not open carry, do not let the bad guys know she can take them out if she has to.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Do not open carry, do not let the bad guys know she can take them out if she has to.
    JMO but one does she even have the ability to CC a weapon legally?? If not OC is all she has.

As far as dont OC in this case, they arent robbing a store, they are eyeing the OPs wife. Shes walking a dog not carrying a cash regisgter.
    If they wanted her dead and the attention shooting her brings they would have just shot her and been done with it. CC OC or NO C.

In this case I think OC is the way to go. They probably are interested in HER not what money she has or stealing the dog.

The sight of the pistol in this situation will 99 percent make them look for greener pastures with no thorns. Hiding it if it is legal for her to do CC just puts her in the place of them thinking she is helpless and no danger to them which might force her to PROVE shes a danger to them after they start to attack her.

Think for this one OC is the way to go.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

A security system is good. A very, very bright flashlight is good too.

I might disagree with OWS on open carry, but it depends on your wife. If she's really, truly prepared and skilled enough to take out two BG's, then concealing is probably the best bet, because the surprise is an advantage that probably trumps deterrence. If she has doubts about her abilities, then it might be better to opt for deterrence with a visible gun. The risk is that, if she encounters the type of BG who is NOT deterred by an openly-carried handgun, she's lost that surprise advantage.

I'm no expert, this is just how I look at things, so take it with a grain of salt. Opinions on OC and deterrence vary widely.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

I dont want her CC. I am the one with the permit not her and I wouldnt want anyone to even think they had an advantage or try and take any action against my wife because they think she is helpless like Ghost said. And if she did CC and her looking helpless led to her having to shoot one of them then she would have to deal with alot of legal stuff while taking care of my daughter and while all this is going down I would be stuck over here! I think they would think twice before getting out of the car when they see the .45 on her side. Also who knows what could happen if one of them thought they had an advantage so they charged her, she could have a miss fire, or something else stupid could happen(those one in a million things still happen). We already have ADT, but it doesnt help if the situation occurs outside the home. I think OC is a good deterrent.

Im looking at this as situation specific. This is a lone woman. Walking a dog. Being eyed by from what I gather is at least two males. There isnt a guarantee that a trained male will prevail even armed against multiples.

But if they know she is armed they know there is serious hurt going to be directed at them. Which in this case outweighs any supposed surprise she might have when you add the extra time it takes to deploy from concealed.

If they are casing the house they will know the occupant has at least one firearm and can only guess what else she has instead of thinking shes an easy pushover with no weapons.

Thugs even armed ones dont normally KNOWINGLY go into a firefight to try to grab a female or steal a TV.

In this case unless they are crazed murderers in which case she would probably be dead or missing already, the OC deterrence more likely helps her not have to engage them at all.

If they are wild eyed going to shoot you anyway right off the bat CC wont help her anyway.

There is an element of surprise to CC but in this case its not applicable. They already picked her out. Either she OCs and they decide there are other easier victims, or they dont and she has to deploy anyway only slower and with no guarantee of winning.

JMO but Id go in this specific instance with showing the fangs to likely avoid needing to use em.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Not sure if you want a Pit Bull around your family, but no one will mess with her while she's walking one of those. My neighbor has two of them, and if they know you they will just lick you to death.....but if they don't........lights out.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'd personally suggest she get trained and carry at least a .38 . (The .45 sounds great if she can handle it. If you have no kids in the house, i'd keep that loaded on nightstand)
    Sister, gatorbait51 and Thumper like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Jtrams View Post
    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. My wife tells me while she was taking the dog out tonight that a couple "ghetto looking" guys were driving by.When they stopped at the stop sign by our place they stayed there for a good minute or so watching her.She is a little paranoid about it and me being the man of the house am too a little considering im not there and wont be there for a little bit longer. I told her to start going in and out of the garage and to open carry the .45 with her when she takes the dog out thinking this would make someone think twice about doing something. I also told her next time it happens to get a good description of the car and then call the police and talk to them about it. Is there really anything else that can be done to make the wife feel more safe? Maybe put up some cameras? any ideas? Thanks
    Open carry, let the bad guys know she can take them out if she has to.
    gatorbait51 and Czombie like this.

She can borrow my AK-47 and sling it over her back when she takes the trash out or gets the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    She can borrow my AK-47 and sling it over her back when she takes the trash out or gets the mail.
    May not be legal in her state and the owner of the AK would be liable.
    Patterson911 and gatorbait51 like this.

All the females in my family I have armed with OC spray. Effective and allows one to get away at least

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Unfortunately, you and I can't do this in FL, Chuck. :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Get to know the neighbors. Notify the police so there's a paper trail. Maybe arrange a drive by by the cops if possible. Add cameras if you do it but be advised that cameras only help the police after the fact. If she's comfortable with guns and competent, arrange for her to CCW. Not saying OC is a bad idea necessarily; maybe in the yard it would be a good deterrent.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Jtrams View Post
    Is there really anything else that can be done to make the wife feel more safe? Maybe put up some cameras? any ideas? Thanks
    All the standard steps toward self-sufficiency with security/defense.

• Go armed, always. Always.

• Have multiple weapons on you at a given time (ie, a gun, and a knife; or, a knife and spray).

• Go visibly armed, if without a CHL or living in a state that doesn't have constitutional carry. Might well help deter a crime before it happens via clearly appearing a harder target, though at the potential expense of divulging your capability to onlookers.

• Go with the dog when walking about. If the dog isn't an athletic/capable sort of protection, do a trade-in to one that is.

• Avoid patterns ... set times, set places, set routes you follow. Mow the lawn on different days, different times. Head out for walks with the dog at various times. Be gone from the house for unpredictable lengths of time.

• If worried you're being watched or followed, DO NOT allow such folks to find out where you live.

• Avoid going out alone, solo. Go out and about with friends, at all times if concerned about criminals or stalking or other ongoing problems.

• Ensure the house has a hardened perimeter, security lighting that lights up the intruders but cloaks the resident in darkness. Consider cameras, even fake ones, positioned at all the corners, entry areas.

• If you have a monitored alarm system on the house, use it ... and set the perimeter zone on alarm each and every time you're inside the house.

• If going armed, go armed inside the home as well. No better way to help withstand home invasions, when added to a hardened perimeter, good defensive dog, alarmed perimeter.

• Enlist the help of friends, the neighbors. Have folks watching out for you. Watch out for them. Be communicative, regarding neighborhood security. Begin going around the neighborhood in pairs, trios.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links