Someone is stealing your motorcycle!

This is a discussion on Someone is stealing your motorcycle! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You live in a apartment complex on the third floor. You have been in the waiting list for over a year for a garage but ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Someone is stealing your motorcycle!

You live in a apartment complex on the third floor. You have been in the waiting list for over a year for a garage but nothing had come available yet. You park your motorcycle wedged behind your car and covered. Under a street lamp. In the middle of the night you wake up to a noise outside, you walk over to the window in your whitey tighties and look out. You see two guys loading your motorcycle in the back of a van.

What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Chide myself for the ineffectiveness of my anti-theft measures.
    Azchief, suntzu, Badey and 6 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Chide myself for the ineffectiveness of my anti-theft measures.
    Haha no matter what you do it can be stolen. Chains are cut in 1 second with bolt cutters. Wheel locks do nothing. The front end of the motorcycle is lifted and put on a dolly.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    Haha no matter what you do it can be stolen. Chains are cut in 1 second with bolt cutters. Wheel locks do nothing. The front end of the motorcycle is lifted and put on a dolly.

Hahahahaha, I don't really have a motorcycle.
    Badey and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Storage place maybe the best option.
    Time to buy a house with a garage. I can't imagine leaving my bike outside. I feel for you

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    Storage place maybe the best option.
    Time to buy a house with a garage. I can't imagine leaving my bike outside. I feel for you
    I live in a very nice part of town but I feel like that is where the bad guys come to look for nice things to steal. When I moved in to these apartments I was told I would only have to wait a month or two before a garage would come available.. I have been here almost a year. In the winter the bike stays at my dads garage but that is a 45 minute drive from here. Just picked it up last week and the paranoia is killing me.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    in Texas shoot them
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Life's too short to worry. I'd leave the bike at my dad's until a garage became available. I wouldn't want to leave my bike outside anyway.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

in a state that you cannot defend your property? yell obscenitites at them from your window, threaten to come down there in your whitie tighties, call the police, call your insurance provider.
    Patti, Bad Bob, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Get a good description of the guys and the truck. Maybe even get a couple pics. Then call the cops. Over the next 45 minutes while I waited for them to show, I'd figure out how the insurance deductible was going to affect my budget. Chastise myself for not learning the lesson I thought I learned a while ago: never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever live in a city again.

If they're threatening someone's life, that's one thing. But otherwise, stuff is stuff. Not worth getting shot over it, and not worth shooting someone else over.
    sensei2, Bad Bob and Secret Spuk like this.

I throw some shorts or something on as quick as possible, grab my remora holstered Glock 26 and my phone and beat feet downstairs as quickly and safely as I can while calling 911 and hoping I make it outside before these guys take off.

I try to get a vehicle description, possible plates and how many people I see so that I can relay to 911. I love my motorcycle so much that I'd probably stand in front of the van if possible or cause a scene...something to want to get them to take off on foot and leave the van and or motorcycle behind.

If they drive off I'd just give a general direction and probably stupidly mention maybe seeing a weapon or something to increase urgency. If your bike disappears and they get away you're almost likely to not get it back unless you're really lucky.

Kind of relevant good read from a former motorcycle thief http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    You live in a apartment complex on the third floor. You have been in the waiting list for over a year for a garage but nothing had come available yet. You park your motorcycle wedged behind your car and covered. Under a street lamp. In the middle of the night you wake up to a noise outside, you walk over to the window in your whitey tighties and look out. You see two guys loading your motorcycle in the back of a van.

What do you do?
    I have no problem coming out to investigate, to demand they stop their grand theft auto. Though, certainly, remaining inside is safer.

And I have no problem defending against deadly violent assault upon me with whatever means are required to erase that threat if it does arise.

Thankfully I live in a state where the temporary hirelings don't criminalize me for doing exactly that.

That said, I also congratulate myself on the insurance coverage, and then (if it gets swiped) I begin looking for a new vehicle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had several bikes over the years and really am not going to worry about it.

I'd probably call police way after they are gone with it, so there is less chance of them being caught . That way I can go shopping for a new bike.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If you're looking for a consensus of OK's to start throwing lead from your balcony to stop the theft, forget it. You're not being threatened. Lethal force isn't justified. Call 911 ASAP, then your insurance carrier bright & early the next business day.
    sensei2 and Powpig2002 like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    You are obviously a renter....... Move.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links