Road Rage Incident, What would DC do?

This is a discussion on Road Rage Incident, What would DC do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are in your vehicle, alone, armed with your usual sidearm. On the freeway you change lanes, someone speeding in the lane you switched in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Road Rage Incident, What would DC do?

You are in your vehicle, alone, armed with your usual sidearm.
    On the freeway you change lanes, someone speeding in the lane you switched in to is mad you delayed them.
    You see them flip you off and whatnot, in your rear-view.
    You move out of the way, they pass, you go about your way.
    Stop light comes up, and you are now behind the raging individual.
    There is a car behind you, on both sides of you, and the person in front of you gets out quickly and starts walking to your car.
    He is only a half car length away when his door opens.
    Bumper-to-bumper traffic.
    All vehicles involved are 4 door mid-sized sedans.
    You cannot drive away without hitting another vehicle. You cannot exit your vehicle without being face-to-face with irate driver.
    As this obviously road raging individual gets out, about 5'11" 280lbs, maybe mid twenties, you notice the passenger getting out also, and two more people in the back seat of their vehicle watching.
    First individual is now at your window and yells:"You think you are funny?!", passenger is slowly walking toward your passenger side.

What do you do?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Call 911 , then hope i have at least two bullets . But if all they do is hollar or curse youjust call 911 and stay in the car . Once you get out it goes to another level .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Though not exactly the same, and only one guy...but I have been almost there.
    Drew pistol but held it below window of my truck he never saw it. Apologized in a calm voice for whatever he thought I did and when I could escape I drove away. He then chased me down and yelled at me some more..(. His wife apparently saw me draw) and fortunately went his way after that.

That was the most scared, I have ever been.

Lesson:if some flips you off or blows their horn.. Stop, got somewhere else, get away from them.
    And call 911 if they pursue.
    gatorbait51 and Pistology like this.

When I stop I leave myself some "wiggle room" so I can extricate myself as needed. Avoid a confrontation at all costs.

Get out of the car, start talking smack about his mama, and say "you wanna go?"

Ok, seriously. I would like to call 911, but in reality, I would probably be too busy watching his hands and his friends hands to make sure they don't have a weapon (can't do both at the same time). Wait for a chance to flee and do so, unless they present weapons or break a window trying to gain entry, then I would defend myself.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

As soon as he gets out of the car get on the phone with 911 and let them know what is going on. Tell them you are armed and will defend yourself if the need arises, it is my understanding that them knowing there is someone with a gun gets them there faster in most cases. Make sure doors are locked and windows are up. If him or his buddy begin to try and smash the windows they get to meet the sidearm at eye level. If that doesn't stop them and they get into the vehicle all bets are off. Im not going hand to hand in a confined space with multiple assailants.

VIP Member
    Castle doctrine applies.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Most aggressive option- sweep the seatbelt with your left hand, draw with your right. Open the door and brace it with your left hand/arm. Place your left foot on the ground and brace your right arm on the door frame. Give loud, clear directions to STOP, GET BACK IN YOUR CAR! From here, you are able to engage the driver or passengers, quickly exit the vehicle completely, or get back in the driver's seat. Options.

More realistically- sweep the seatbelt with your left, prepare to draw with your right, and call 911.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I would make sure my firearm is readily accessible and would pull out my phone, crack the window, and tell the guy that I'm video recording him and I've got 911 on the phone listening to what he has to say. (I would then try to start video recording and get 911 on the phone)
    gatorbait51, CLASS3NH and Oreste like this.

Fake a heart attack. They will run away fearing it's their fault.

OnStar.
    gatorbait51 and oldnfat like this.

I had a similar incident on the freeway. We were in bumper to bumper slow moving rush hour traffic. Some guy almost hits me changing lanes. It was apparent he didn't care if someone was there or not. I honked to let him know he was about to hit me. When that didn't work hit my brakes to avoid him hitting me. He stops his truck, now blocking two lanes, and gets out of his truck. I was very afraid. I locked the door and began to reach for my gun. I also started to reach for my phone in case he did anything. As he was approaching my truck he was yelling and cussing. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying. I was more focused on what he was doing. He got to the front of my vehicle and stopped. Yelled some more then returned to his vehicle and went on his way. I let him get a bit ahead of me in traffic before I moved on. Then I kept track of where he was in traffic so I wouldn't end up near him.

That was one of the scariest moments I have ever encountered. I'm not sure how I would have reacted had he actually approached my vehicle. It amazes me what sets people off.

VIP Member
    It amazes me that because of a horn honk (or whatever), that someone would stop their vehicle in traffic and walk back to "confront" a stranger that they know absolutely nothing about.

This "tactic" seems pretty commonplace and reeks of stupidity.

Are people wound so tight these days that they lose control of their emotions?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    It amazes me that because of a horn honk (or whatever), that someone would stop their vehicle in traffic and walk back to "confront" a stranger that they know absolutely nothing about.

This "tactic" seems pretty commonplace and reeks of stupidity.

Are people wound so tight these days that they lose control of their emotions?
    Yup!! They tend to think the world (or universe) revolves around them...........
    USM1976 and Thumper like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    You are in your vehicle, alone, armed with your usual sidearm.
    On the freeway you change lanes, someone speeding in the lane you switched in to is mad you delayed them.
    You see them flip you off and whatnot, in your rear-view.
    You move out of the way, they pass, you go about your way.
    Stop light comes up, and you are now behind the raging individual.
    There is a car behind you, on both sides of you, and the person in front of you gets out quickly and starts walking to your car.
    He is only a half car length away when his door opens.
    Bumper-to-bumper traffic.
    All vehicles involved are 4 door mid-sized sedans.
    You cannot drive away without hitting another vehicle. You cannot exit your vehicle without being face-to-face with irate driver.
    As this obviously road raging individual gets out, about 5'11" 280lbs, maybe mid twenties, you notice the passenger getting out also, and two more people in the back seat of their vehicle watching.
    First individual is now at your window and yells:"You think you are funny?!", passenger is slowly walking toward your passenger side.

What do you do?
    I was down the Cape visiting friends today. Something like this happened near Plymouth Ma today. Held up traffic for a few miles. Hate to say this, but it DEFINETLY sounds like a Massachusetts behavior thing. Was this YOU?
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links