You Just Shot Someone; Now What.......

This is a discussion on You Just Shot Someone; Now What....... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always good to keep this in your head, committed to memory. You just shot someone (e.g. a guy who kicked your home's door in). Probably ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: You Just Shot Someone; Now What.......

You Just Shot Someone; Now What.......

Always good to keep this in your head, committed to memory.

You just shot someone (e.g. a guy who kicked your home's door in). Probably the easiest scenario.

1. Justifiable deadly force requires evaluation of attacker's Ability, Opportunity, and Intent.

Did attacker have Ability to do great bodily harm to you, or loved one? Armed = type of weapon? Disparity of force may apply if multiple attackers or elderly, disabled victim.

Opportunity? Attacker had Time and immediate access to victim. (not a knife thru sturdy bars, unbroken glass, etc.)

Intent? Broken door/window latches &/or locks indicate aggression. Known Reason. Statement. Any actions that made you "reasonably" fear for you personal physical safety.

2. Did you "reasonably" fear for your life or great bodily injury.

3. Is the possible 'crime scene' unaltered?

Memorize these terms and explain what happened to the responding officers in as few words as possible. You will be asked many times, try to keep your answers as brief as possible.
    If you are in an "Gun Unfriendly" jurisdiction, demand an an attorney after the first and most brief of explanations (usually).... it may be best to remain silent and demand an attorney to consult with and speak 'for you'.

Just a heads-up from much experience.
    mano3 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

2. Remove Ads

You just shot someone, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT other than to tell the cops you were scared for your life and the legal homeowner. Get yourself a good attorney.

I'm not going to say the cops aren't your friend, but there are A LOT of bad things that can come out of talking to the police without representation.

This is an old video but a good one if you haven't watched it.

Distinguished Member
    If I am in my home, castle doctrine applies. I am still not looking to have a deep conversation with police without counsel, but a home invasion gives you a lot more legal cover.

I would probably give a short description of what happened, making sure to say I feared for my life. Then say that the events were traumatic and I'd rather not say more until I am able to think more clearly and speak with a lawyer.

It's nice that this topic was brought up again because it certainly hasn't been discussed enough on the internet.

The video is great. I recommend watching it.
    The summary of 48 minutes is this: *NOTHING* you say will be used to help you. Period. Choose your words (if any) wisely.

"Officer, this man broke into my house, I was in fear of my life, and I acted in self defense. I'l gladly share additional details after consulting with legal council"
    Call your attorney. Sit down, and zip it. Do not say another word, do not acknowledge, disagree, commit, share, accept, or agree to anything other than the coroner removing the body.

Step 4: Call your lawyer!
    You should already have their number in your phone AND written on your refrigerator.
    BenGoodLuck and Eagleks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Always good to keep this in your head, committed to memory.

You just shot someone (e.g. a guy who kicked your home's door in). Probably the easiest scenario.

1. Justifiable deadly force requires evaluation of attacker's Ability, Opportunity, and Intent.

Did attacker have Ability to do great bodily harm to you, or loved one? Armed = type of weapon? Disparity of force may apply if multiple attackers or elderly, disabled victim.

Opportunity? Attacker had Time and immediate access to victim. (not a knife thru sturdy bars, unbroken glass, etc.)

Intent? Broken door/window latches &/or locks indicate aggression. Known Reason. Statement. Any actions that made you "reasonably" fear for you personal physical safety.

2. Did you "reasonably" fear for your life or great bodily injury.

3. Is the possible 'crime scene' unaltered?

Memorize these terms and explain what happened to the responding officers in as few words as possible. You will be asked many times, try to keep your answers as brief as possible.
    If you are in an "Gun Unfriendly" jurisdiction, demand an an attorney after the first and most brief of explanations (usually).... it may be best to remain silent and demand an attorney to consult with and speak 'for you'.

Just a heads-up from much experience.
    I am not going to say more than, "I was in fear for my life". Period...end of story until my lawyer shows up. If I leave it at that, I only have to remember those seven words. Hard to get tripped up on that.
    BenGoodLuck and Oreste like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I am not a lawyer nor do I intend to play one in this scenario. Lawyer up be well.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Well you said he/they kicked in my door. To me that means they arent selling cookies. But in my state the legalities of that particular situation are already settled ahead of time. State says anyone forcing their way or attempting to force their way into a dwelling, or an occupied vehicle is reason to fear for my life or serious bodily harm.

Bust in my door you just covered intent, opportunity and ability in one motion. All that remains to be seen is if you have the sense to hit the floor or run out the way you came in very very quickly.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    If I am in my home, castle doctrine applies. I am still not looking to have a deep conversation with police without counsel, but a home invasion gives you a lot more legal cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaRae View Post
    I would probably give a short description of what happened, making sure to say I feared for my life. Then say that the events were traumatic and I'd rather not say more until I am able to think more clearly and speak with a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by IWIWBig View Post
    ...The video is great. I recommend watching it. The summary of 48 minutes is this: *NOTHING* you say will be used to help you. Period. Choose your words (if any) wisely. "Officer, this man broke into my house, I was in fear of my life, and I acted in self defense. I'l gladly share additional details after consulting with legal council". Call your attorney. Sit down, and zip it. Do not say another word, do not acknowledge, disagree, commit, share, accept, or agree to anything other than the coroner removing the body.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    Step 4: Call your lawyer! You should already have their number in your phone AND written on your refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I am not going to say more than, "I was in fear for my life". Period...end of story until my lawyer shows up. If I leave it at that, I only have to remember those seven words. Hard to get tripped up on that.
    +1, +1, +1, +1, +1. "Officer, I was in fear for my life and I need medical attention." Then call my lawyer.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Calling servpro would come in pretty soon after the lawyer in that list.
    Secret Spuk and 40Bob like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

We never shoot anyone. We stop a threat.
    Dabster and Oreste like this.

A point I also try to make in classes is to avoid jail try to avoid shooting someone you know. Stranger shootings, i.e. home invasion, car jacking, street robbery is a lot easier to prove justification. You don't want the investigating officers scratching their head saying, "Well, I don't know for sure what happened here - so let's just arrest everyone and they can explain to the judge... In a year or so."

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    We never shoot anyone. We stop a threat.
    I think it goes more like "We never shoot to kill, but to stop the threat" Be kinda hard to say we never shot the guy if hes laying on the floor with a bullet or bullets in him. Might work though. I could always say the wife is a faster draw than I am
    RickyD and 40Bob like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    A point I also try to make in classes is to avoid jail try to avoid shooting someone you know. Stranger shootings, i.e. home invasion, car jacking, street robbery is a lot easier to prove justification. You don't want the investigating officers scratching their head saying, "Well, I don't know for sure what happened here - so let's just arrest everyone and they can explain to the judge... In a year or so."
    I know an awful lot of people. As in know who they are when I see them. But even if its someone I know well, Just because its someone I know that kicked my door down doesnt give me anymore idea what said person intends than if it were a stranger. Nor will they get anymore leeway than a stranger would which depends on what they do in the second or two after the door comes down.

Leave then or dont. Up to them. If theres time for that much civility.

If my pastor kicked in my door hes no different than any other whack job kicking in my door.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links