Self defense in SC

This is a discussion on Self defense in SC within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about 3 hours up the road from me. It's amazing how the BG's family always talks about how good he was despite video ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Self defense in SC

Self defense in SC

This happened about 3 hours up the road from me. It's amazing how the BG's family always talks about how good he was despite video evidence showing otherwise.

Spartanburg Waffle House shooting video released, sparks deb - FOX Carolina 21
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

To keep it on topic, would anyone have done it differently?
    Gun Control: Using both hands

You can go here Spartanburg Shooting To read comments from another thread on this
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

If I am ever in a situation like this I will take my time, not too much of it, make a decision to act and then do it swiftly to all involved. The dead one can always have his gun picked up by the second one. In Georgia all involved in a Felony whether carrying a gun or not are guilty, and guilty of murder if the gunman dies and they survive. I have been to several Gun Fighting courses and train regularly to stay on top of my game.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Yep, family always say He was a good young man, loving, kind, he just got in with the wrong crowd, yada, yada, yada, he didn't need to die, he shouldn't have been shot, yada, yada, yada. Doesn't matter that the "truth" is on tape or a dozen witnesses say otherwise! I'm sure Al Capone and Clyde Barrow had relatives who thought they were "good boys" too! And I'll bet Bonnie's family thought she was just a sweet young girl! I say it is all bovine excrement!!! The punk got exactly what he deserved! And he sure as H-E-double hockey sticks won't be doing it to anybody else! Too bad the other punk didn't get the same. Since he got 30 years, he'll just get an "education" in the joint and be out on the street on parole in a few to resume his criminal career!
    leprechaun50 and Miketrance like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The family should have been sentenced to 30 years for talking stupid.

The gentleman didn't vomit on the counter or pee his pants first. He must need more training. Some people just refuse to accept the reality that their family members made a decision that rightfully cost them their lives.
    CommonCents likes this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    You can go here Spartanburg Shooting To read comments from another thread on this
    I made my comments on that other thread (post #4), I wouldn't change a word - Although you may notice I have a different shark photo for my avatar
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I made my comments on that other thread (post #4), I wouldn't change a word - Although you may notice I have a different shark photo for my avatar
    I like it, more menacing. Closer to the teeth.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

The sad part is that Harrison could still get sued in civil court for wrongful death. Even if the jury finds in his favor, he could still face a mountain of attorney fees. That's a tough position to be in, but I can't see that he did anything wrong at all.

Certainly appears to be justified from the blurry low-framerate video (it's 2014; why don't we have decent security cameras in any businesses yet?).

I don't fault the family though. If your relative was gunned down committing a crime you'd have to have some pain. You might even get defensive. To them "well he wasn't shooting at you" seems good enough. If it was them on the other side of that barrel things would be different. But I won't be dragging them through the mud or calling them names. Because of this kids actions, they have to suffer with a tragic loss. And yes; it is a tragic loss. A mother lost a son, a cousin lost her cousin; because he made some stupid decisions. Justifiable actions can be tragic.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    Certainly appears to be justified from the blurry low-framerate video (it's 2014; why don't we have decent security cameras in any businesses yet?).

I don't fault the family though. If your relative was gunned down committing a crime you'd have to have some pain. You might even get defensive. To them "well he wasn't shooting at you" seems good enough. If it was them on the other side of that barrel things would be different. But I won't be dragging them through the mud or calling them names. Because of this kids actions, they have to suffer with a tragic loss. And yes; it is a tragic loss. A mother lost a son, a cousin lost her cousin; because he made some stupid decisions. Justifiable actions can be tragic.
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this because it's not a commonly held belief but I think the term tragic is used far too carelessly in our culture. You assume that his cousin was close to him and will be negatively affected by his demise. Mothers are notorious for unconditional love. I guess "tragedy" is based on point of view and ultimately, whether it is tragic or not doesn't matter. It's just the way life works. You raise a child the best you can and at some point it's out of your hands.

I think a better question is, "Why would you feel compassion for the family, especially the extended family?" The family should be among those saying he got what he deserved. Feeling compassion for the unethical, who would make you feel guilt for defending yourself, is a danger to society and leads to the promotion of the unethical in preference to the ethical.

Life is full of tragic situations and people who are far more deserving of compassion than those who would condemn others' rights of defense.
    Miketrance and ep1953 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this because it's not a commonly held belief but I think the term tragic is used far too carelessly in our culture. You assume that his cousin was close to him and will be negatively affected by his demise. Mothers are notorious for unconditional love. I guess "tragedy" is based on point of view and ultimately, whether it is tragic or not doesn't matter. It's just the way life works. You raise a child the best you can and at some point it's out of your hands.

I think a better question is, "Why would you feel compassion for the family, especially the extended family?" The family should be among those saying he got what he deserved. Feeling compassion for the unethical, who would make you feel guilt for defending yourself, is a danger to society and leads to the promotion of the unethical in preference to the ethical.

Life is full of tragic situations and people who are far more deserving of compassion than those who would condemn others' rights of defense.
    Sorry, death is a tragedy.

Here's the way I look at it. This young man could've been something great. He could've been a great teacher, a fantastic Doctor, or even a really efficient garbage collector. He could've been a productive member of society.

Instead, he bled on the floor of a waffle house because he got in the wrong crowd and made some asinine decisions. They were his decisions, and the consequences were his consequences. And that's a tragedy. It doesn't lessen other tragedies; but it's still a tragedy.

I really, really, really (really) dislike "Why do X when you can do Y" arguments. Like "Why is there a news story about graffiti when there's people dying in somethingsomethingstan." It's a small minded view of the world. We are dynamic creatures capable of categorizing and differentiating. So even though there are other tragedies, it doesn't change the fact that a young man made some stupid decisions instead of some good decisions and died because of it.

Justified in his death? Sure looks that way from what I can tell. That doesn't mean he's inhuman. We're all of sacred worth, we're all God's creation, and we all deserve a chance at life. It's always a tragedy when anyone squanders away that chance on greed and harming others.

I know that won't be a popular opinion around here, but that's the way I feel. Because I'm a human being capable of living life in a gray world (because it isn't black and white); I'll receive no joy when anyone dies, for any reason. I respect that you feel differently; but whether he was close to his family or not I'm saddened by the death. Because I'm saddened that he chose to put other lives in danger to the point that his life had to be taken all over some stupid decisions so he could get a couple hundred bucks out of a register.

<shrugs> Just my $0.02.
    ArmedPreacher and medic18365 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Surprise, surprise, in a Waffle House--at night. Imagine that. No sympathy here. Out and out SD.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I miss waffle house. none up here in MN.

It's one thing for a family to say the BG is a good kid and got caught up in the wrong crowd. Expected.

But its another when they make excuses and say he doesn't have it coming after barging into a waffle house with guns pointed at people and probably verbally threatening. ON CAMERA. Get a clue you morons. Is there so much sense of entitlement to these idiots that the expect innocent people minding their own business, to be fired upon first when confronted with a weapon? How dumb do you get?
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links