Don't point your firearm at someone

This is a discussion on Don't point your firearm at someone within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Do not, for the love of God, point your firearm at someone unless you are going to kill them." I might be in the minority, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Don't point your firearm at someone

"Do not, for the love of God, point your firearm at someone unless you are going to kill them."

I might be in the minority, but I do not like this statement at all. Someone on another site disagreed with my actions and responded with the above quote. I'll explain my situation.

I was a victim of road rage a few months ago. Some guy felt like I cut him off (even though he was REALLY speeding and approached my car much faster than I thought). At the next light, I was boxed in. He was in front and another car behind. As soon as I saw his door fly open and he began sprinting towards my car, I unholstered my Glock and pointed it at him. As soon as he saw it, he immediately returned to his truck and sped off.

Not sure what I would have done without a gun. I guess he could have mouthed off an then left. I wasn't sure of his intentions though. Maybe he had a concealed weapon?

Was I willing to kill the guy at that moment? Yes, if he had brought out a weapon... You definitely shouldn't be using a weapon to win a fight that you started or a fight that you can easily walk away from.

What are your thoughts? How did I handle this situation?

Difficult situation, but I think it may have been a good idea to pull off the road somewhere prior to the red light. Just so you would be able to avoid someone that you knew was angry. Try to avoid putting yourself in to a situation where your options are so limited. Just a suggestion.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Difficult situation, but I think it may have been a good idea to pull off the road somewhere prior to the red light. Just so you would be able to avoid someone that you knew was angry. Try to avoid putting yourself in to a situation where your options are so limited. Just a suggestion.
    It was kind of a weird situation. I was in front of the guy on a larger 4 lane road. Right before the red light, he speeds up and cuts in front of me. I really didn't have anywhere to go by the time it all happened.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

For future reference, call 911 immediately to report the incident, give his description, and his license number, etc. All he had to do was call 911 & report YOU for brandishing a gun. You can imagine how much different your day would have went once a LEO pulls you over knowing you have a gun.
    firerat, CWOUSCG, Norm66 and 8 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Like many things in life, there are few absolutes. I've had this happen to me once as well. While the guy jumped out of his truck ahead of me and started to come my way empty handed with mouth and middle fingers working overtime, he decided to turn around, get back into his truck and speed off. I did not have a weapon with me at the time and wished that I did. Would I have displayed/pointed my weapon at the man in my situation if I had it? In my case I would not; but I would probably have my hand on it ready to bring up. He can yell and curse at me all he wants. He can slam his fist onto my hood, but unless he's trying to reach in, break the window glass or brandishing a knive, firearm or bat I don't see how I would be justified in leveling a weapon at him. All it takes is for him to get my license plate number, make a 911 call, then I'm being put into bracelets for menacing/brandishing/terroristic threatening. It's a very fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    For future reference, call 911 immediately to report the incident, give his description, and his license number, etc. All he had to do was call 911 & report YOU for brandishing a gun. You can imagine how much different your day would have went once a LEO pulls you over knowing you have a gun.
    ^^ What he said.

All that guy had to do was call the cops and say some loony toon is out there waiving his gun at people and your day could have been very bad.

If you have to pull your firearm, whether you fire or not, report it.

Just my $0.02.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    "Do not, for the love of God, point your firearm at someone unless you are going to kill them."
    As written, I don't agree either. Replace "going" with "prepared" and you have my view. Drawing and pointing may be all that is needed to end the threat, and that's fine by me. Pulling the trigger is the last resort.

Well done, I may have done exactly as you did.
    Last edited by Ianthin; May 2nd, 2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

I have been in a very similar situation. I drew but kept it lower than my window and he never saw it. I let him scream and I apologized nicely for whatever he imagined I did to offend him. Eventually he moved out of way and I was able to drive around his car. He later chased me down again and yelled at me out of his window. "are you going to shoot me?" and drove off. His wife or whatever must have seen me draw and told him. I don't think pointing necessitates shooting. I was afraid enough to draw but never reached the point of shooting. MY advice if any blows their horn or flips the bird, turn and drive somewhere else, if they pursue call 911.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Another case for a dash cam. That might have made a big difference knowing you have everything recorded. I probably would have been close to doing what you did after yelling "You're on video".
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I got you. It was difficult. I am all for avoidance. The call 911 advice no matter what is sound.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would amend the statement to ""Do not, for the love of God, point your firearm at someone unless you have made the decision to use the firearm to defend yourself from grave bodily harm." My intention is to never use my EDC to kill someone, but to stop a threat against me or my loved ones.

In your situation, you felt threatened by the guy actually getting out of his car and running towards you while you were boxed in. You made the decision to point your gun at him to defend yourself. At that point, you didn't know if you would have to use the gun or not. Your intention wasn't to kill him, but to stop the threat. And you did stop the threat, because he backed down and left.

As others have pointed out, in the future, try to avoid being near the road rager. Slow down, turn off the road, anything to de-escalate. That might help prevent you from getting boxed in. And if you ever do have to point your gun at someone, call 911 immediately after the incident to make a record of what happened. This way he can't call in and say 'some crazy guy just pointed a gun at me!'
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Here is the problem with pointing the gun at him...

A claim could be made that you were NOT under threat of seriously bodily harm or death... but you pointing a gun at him, the case could be made that he WAS now under threat of it. If he had pulled a gun and killed you, he could have gotten off completely in a self defense case, since you threatened his life. Also if you had shot and killed him when you saw him drawing a gun, a case could be made to charge you with murder, as you were the aggressor in "seriously bodily harm or death"

Basically, what people mean is... do NOT point a gun at someone unless you are in fear for your life. Fear for damage to your car, or wasting your time, etc.. is not fear for your life. Thinking you may soon be in fear for your life and pointing the gun before that happens is also NOT in fear of your life, and makes you the aggressor. You have to actively be in fear for your life (or serious bodily harm).

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    "Do not, for the love of God, point your firearm at someone unless you are prepared to kill them if necessary."

There, fixed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

So, someone rages after a near miss and gets out of his car and charges towards you...hmmm ?

What crime has he committed other than possible traffic violations ? Unless the outraged driver displays a weapon, tries to enter you car, or damages your car in some manner, no criminal activity seems to have been committed. Displaying a firearm can be criminal in some jurisdictions....pointing a firearm at someone is usually criminal in most jurisdictions.

Use you heads fellow citizens !
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There's a FINE line between too soon and not soon enough. Just know when you draw, the bluff is over and consequences may occur, to you or the BG.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links