times you wish you didn't have your gun on you?

This is a discussion on times you wish you didn't have your gun on you? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; were there any times in the past you wish you didn't have your gun on you because someone pissed you off? Their was an incident ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: times you wish you didn't have your gun on you?

were there any times in the past you wish you didn't have your gun on you because someone pissed you off?

Their was an incident in a parking lot yesterday where a teenager was driving an Cadillac Escalade like a total idiot, he almost hit me when I was walking. I wanted to 'verbally blast' the punk - but I had my gun on me (concealed) and realized it would not go in my favor.

Many times. But carrying has ultimately made me more patient with stupid people.
    Springfield Armory XDS .45
    Kahr CM9
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

VIP Member
    Attempted vehicular assault doesn't merit a 'verbal blast' in the escalation of lethal force continuum?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I think there are two ways to look at this.

Think of how what you just said sounds. To paraphrase: "I wish I didn't have my gun on me because someone pissed me off." I would say this would show that one is too immature for the responsibility of carrying a firearm. On the other hand, it seems the fact that you are carrying a firearm has induced some maturity that prevents you from acting harshly. I'm not quite sure the latter issue outweighs the former.

Part of being responsible, which I consider an absolute necessity when carrying a firearm, is assessing what situations you can change, what you can't, and how to react to both. Yelling obscenities at a kid driving erratically is not going to change his driving habits. Just be happy you weren't hurt and hope that he has a wake up call soon that will teach him to be more careful. If that's not enough, call the police.
    sensei2, vice87 and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member
    No, definitely not for that type of reason. Only time I've really wished I didn't have my gun was when I had to go in somewhere that CC was not allowed and had to go put it back in the car.

Since I started carrying, I've known my "choosing" to get pissed off, lash out, get verbally abusive or react from a place of anger was no longer an option - those days are over. I think it's my duty as a CC holder to remain calm, cool headed, collected and act as polite and civil as possible - without being a complete pushover.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Well last night I had a weird dream. I was wearing Cargo shorts in the dream (tho in RL I have no shorts) a handgun and a SBS without a sling plus some kind of rucksack. I basically had my hands full. I had so much stuff with me I'd have been hard pressed to wave at anyone let alone flip them off.
    tdave, vice87 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    were there any times in the past you wish you didn't have your gun on you because someone pissed you off?

Their was an incident in a parking lot yesterday where a teenager was driving an Cadillac Escalade like a total idiot, he almost hit me when I was walking. I wanted to 'verbally blast' the punk - but I had my gun on me (concealed) and realized it would not go in my favor.

...So you wish you didn't have your gun on you so you could start a fight...? Or am I missing something in this?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by abigno99 View Post
    I think there are two ways to look at this.

Think of how what you just said sounds. To paraphrase: "I wish I didn't have my gun on me because someone pissed me off." I would say this would show that one is too immature for the responsibility of carrying a firearm. On the other hand, it seems the fact that you are carrying a firearm has induced some maturity that prevents you from acting harshly. I'm not quite sure the latter issue outweighs the former.

Part of being responsible, which I consider an absolute necessity when carrying a firearm, is assessing what situations you can change, what you can't, and how to react to both. Yelling obscenities at a kid driving erratically is not going to change his driving habits. Just be happy you weren't hurt and hope that he has a wake up call soon that will teach him to be more careful. If that's not enough, call the police.
    its not so much that I would have lost my temper, its that the other person could go crazy.

If one has to be careful about carrying a firearm in certain situations because of a possible temper 'flare up', then perhaps that individual should not consider carrying a firearm at all.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    No because one thing I would worry about in a situation like this is what if it got to the point where something happened where I ended up losing my CCL. I don't know if that is possible or not but that would be my concern.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    ...So you wish you didn't have your gun on you so you could start a fight...? Or am I missing something in this?
    no, I would let the person know they're driving like an idiot and tell them Im going to record their licence plate.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    no, I would let the person know they're driving like an idiot and tell them Im going to record their licence plate.
    Which could very well start a fight.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    I think you are, I never said fight

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    If one has to be careful about carrying a firearm in certain situations because of a possible temper 'flair up', then perhaps that individual should not consider carrying a firearm at all.OMOYMV
    I don't think that's really fair. I think it's a totally legit question. I've been there and done that, so I can totally see his point.

You make some comment because somebody did some idiotic thing. They react in an aggressive manner. Next thing you know, you're in physical altercation, or just about in one, and you're armed. Crazy people do unpredictable, crazy things. Flipping someone off shouldn't lead to a shooting, but it has happened. And with most laws (that I have any familiarity with) having some specific verbiage which covers acts of escalation, you'd be in for a huge legal fight simply because you did anything.

IMO, it's not really a matter of wishing I didn't have a firearm on me; it's more a matter of being mindful that I have a legal responsibility to keep myself wholly in check.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar

Humor is a good diffuser.

Why tell them. Just record it and call the cops. You never know they might talk to him. It's not dangerous work...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links