Turnover of HOA Documents

This is a discussion on Turnover of HOA Documents within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK DC, I want your opinions on what to do here. Over the past year(ish) the condition of our Homeowners Association structure has been declining. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Turnover of HOA Documents

OK DC,
    I want your opinions on what to do here.

Over the past year(ish) the condition of our Homeowners Association structure has been declining. Invoices aren't being issued regularly as required, checks aren't being cashed on time, basically the treasurer was not doing her job.

Well, we just voted her out and yours truly is now in charge of finances and communication. Problem is, she left the meeting, either intentionally or unintentionally with the books, mailbox keys, basically everything I need to do my job.

Now, she isn't responding to texts, emails, or facebook messages, but I have her home address through public records and I am getting ready to go over there with the HOA president to try and get her to peacefully surrender the stuff. She's a snarky, snippy, and very bossy type, but I don't think she's violent or anything crazy like that. Even so, my alarm bells are ringing a little and I'm wondering if I should at least notify LE that I am going to her personal residence.

I have my HCP, but I am hesitant to even carry over there, because I am going onto her property. In the extremely unlikely event that anything went down, I would undoubtedly be seen as the aggressor.

What say you? Should I send a certified letter first? Go over there? I don't want to drag this out as we do have monthly expenses that are supposed to be paid and Lord knows what she's doing about those.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    She is already skating on felony ice. You need real legal advice, not anonymous internet opinions.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Get a lawyer .. I would have them tell you what to do ... This stuff never ends well if you handle it on your own me thinks ..

Maybe crazy + state where guns are easy to get and many people have them + angry at losing job maybe even was doing criminal things + you were on her land she could claim all sorts of things if she takes a shot .... = nothing good ... Ask for legal advice ..

If she has the forms it could be for Id theft etc you never know ...
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    HOA should pay for the lawyer. Do NOT show up in person. All it takes is a hysterical female and you on her property and you'll end up with her crying assault and battery and you'll end up with a personal lawsuit to fight it. Right now, she is 100% in the wrong.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Just wanted to add, if possible, why not replace the keys, documents and other stuff. If it's even remotely possible to leave her alone and get replacements, you should do that. I get a slight sense that you want to make her pony up more than you are in a real bind as to your job tools.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    In SC, we can not carry into another house without their permission, not sure about TN. Either way, any kind of confrontation and word got out that you were carrying would be seen as you are trying to strong arm her.

Like the others have said, get legal advice, but I would leave the firearm at home.

Just my $.02
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Not your job to personally retrieve the HOA property (docs, keys, etc.). You're the new treasurer, not the sergeant-at-arms. Let your HOA president pursue getting the items back into the right hands. The proper way is through legal channels, which means starting with a lawyer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Just wanted to add, if possible, why not replace the keys, documents and other stuff. If it's even remotely possible to leave her alone and get replacements, you should do that. I get a slight sense that you want to make her pony up more than you are in a real bind as to your job tools.
    Quite the opposite. If I could change bank accounts, change mailboxes, and get account statements for all of the units, I'd be happy having never talked to her in person (which I haven't). The problem is that she has information that I HAVE to have for continuity. Namely, account balances, keys, checkbooks, the like.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Lawyer up for and paid by HOA. Have attorney do the legal schmegal on her. Have locksmith come in and change locks.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The HOA should have a lawyer. Don't do anything--let the lawyer handle it.

Then dissolve the HOA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'd call your local PD and ask for a civil stand-by. Happens all the time here when parents with shared custody are handing over docs to their ex, or meeting to exchange kids.

Have with you a complete list of the items you need from her, and ask politely for there return. If that doesn't work then lawyer up! Make sure you have a couple of witnesses. Good luck DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The HOA should have a lawyer. Don't do anything--let the lawyer handle it....
    Yep. My HOA's have been drawn from a small collection of eight homes to the much large development we now live in. No matter the size, there was always an attorney. Speak with an attorney before taking matters into your own hands.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The HOA should have a lawyer. Don't do anything--let the lawyer handle it.

Then dissolve the HOA.
    ^^^ this is the best solution (IMO) ^^^

I strongly dislike HOAs, but have been told we MUST have one because we have a drainage pond owned by the community.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Others have already said it..."Let a lawyer do your talking!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links