Witnessed the tail end of a mugging

This is a discussion on Witnessed the tail end of a mugging within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a dj at a nightclub. Last night a coworker and I were walking to our vehicles (parked in a lot between buildings), came ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Witnessed the tail end of a mugging

I am a dj at a nightclub. Last night a coworker and I were walking to our vehicles (parked in a lot between buildings), came around the corner heard the sound of a bottle breaking. Looked up saw two men standing over a third, 1 was taking cash out of a wallet, the other walking in my direction. He was saying "there nothing going on, and everything is ok", shined my light on him and drew my G19 (had to drop one of my turntables). Took him a few seconds to realize I was armed. He said "crap" (only the dirty version) ran the other direction, his buddy followed behind him. The mugged man, stood up (intoxicated) and tried to chase after them. I looked over my shoulder saw a police cruiser parked about 100yards away, and started shining my flash light to get their attention. She turned on her blue lights and raced into the parking lot. I holstered my g19 when the blue lights came on. The mugged man appeared back after the officer arrived. The officer took a statement from me, I recognized the man taking the wallet from earlier in the club, but don't know his name or anything about him.

Happened very quickly, my coworker was also armed, he said he had a grip on his but never drew. The bad thing is if I recognized the man, the man probably recognizes me. Luckily me and my coworker (also a dj) train together regularly. We figure our odds of being attacked were the highest, when leaving the club. So we drill together and work on team communication. Good news , nobody died, bad news drunk man lost what he claims is rent money, and BGs got away. I don't regret anything I did, I am always alert when leaving work, and thanks to an article I read on here a while back, I always have flashlight in hand.

This is my second encounter in a short period, wanted to share this one as well.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nightclub--well, there you go. Drunks and anything after midnight make easy victims. I don't see where you did anything wrong, other than have a job that comes with inherent risks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glad to hear you were ready to protect yourself. Just goes to show you that having a cop even 100 yards away doesn't prevent crime. Unfortunately as you know you have a high risk job because of both the location of your employment and also the hours. If you aren't willing to change jobs, then mitigated those risks like you have done is the best you can do.
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    He may not recognize you if you had a light in his eyes. If he did he won't be returning for fear of being fingered. That of course assumes he is no an idiot, which he may well be. I'd continue to be vigilant when leaving work (and the rest of the time too but ESPECIALLY now after work).
    Last edited by farsidefan1; May 5th, 2014 at 04:48 PM.
    mano3 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Yes will definitely be vigilant after leaving work. I enjoy djing, even though the clubs pay fantastic money, there is no future in them. I have a daytime (adult job) but I make more djing 2 nights a week then most do 5 days a week. I am trying to merge over to do more private events (weddings, cooperate parties, ect). I've never felt unsafe leaving the clubs (always armed and normally with someone) it was weird. At first I thought the guy was drunk and they were helping him.

VIP Member
    Two threads about you, drunks and drawn firearms in a little over a month. Wow.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Hope the turntable is OK.
    OldVet, mano3, Phaedrus and 2 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Closing time at a nightclub, "Who da' thunk' there'd be trouble there?"
    Glad all was well with you and your friend.
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like you were aware, prepared and ready to respond when / if needed..... they recognized that and thought their best option was to leave. Can't ask for more than that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Your friend may need a little more work on his draw, seems he was a bit slow.
    Taurahe likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Sounds like you did a great job. Maybe even prevented a murder

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Your friend may need a little more work on his draw, seems he was a bit slow.
    Haha, that's what I told him!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Two threads about you, drunks and drawn firearms in a little over a month. Wow.
    Yes, except the drunk was the victim this time and not the aggressor. I normally witness fights all the time, but this was different.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Closing time at a nightclub, "Who da' thunk' there'd be trouble there?"
    Glad all was well with you and your friend.
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    Normally closing time in the nightclub , there is no problem. The parking lot is about 100 yards from the front door. Building box in the lot, only 1 way in and out for vehicles. One night power was out, it was really creepy, that is what made me start carrying flashlights.

But you're not telling the most important thing....

....is the turntable you dropped OK? Those things aren't cheap. lol

My buddy's dad was a DJ for years and we helped him set up & tear down quite a few times.

I think you did a pretty good job. I can't fault you for being a DJ, I played in bands for years and understand it's a job like any other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links