Approached by a guy impersonating police

This is a discussion on Approached by a guy impersonating police within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you do if you were taking a casual walk around your neighborhood when approached by some normal looking guy. He shows you his ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Approached by a guy impersonating police

What would you do if you were taking a casual walk around your neighborhood when approached by some normal looking guy. He shows you his Chicago police badge and a briefly exposes a revolver in a shoulder holster covered by his jacket. Note that this is happening outside of Chicago and there are no witnesses or cars.

You have your cell phone, wallet, concealed firearm and the guy is asking to show where you live because he is investigating someone.

Do you brush him off by saying "sorry but I can't help you"?
    Call 911?
    Tell him to back off?
    Or something else?

Distinguished Member
    I would call 911 and verify who he says he is. If he truely is a cop he'll give you another look at the badge for the number.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    What would you do if you were taking a casual walk around your neighborhood when approached by some normal looking guy. He shows you his Chicago police badge and a briefly exposes a revolver in a shoulder holster covered by his jacket. Note that this is happening outside of Chicago and there are no witnesses or cars.

You have your cell phone, wallet, concealed firearm and the guy is asking to show where you live because he is investigating someone.

Do you brush him off by saying "sorry but I can't help you"?
    Call 911?
    Tell him to back off?
    Or something else?
    I brush him off, while keeping an eye on him and call 911. While creating distance...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I brush him off, while keeping an eye on him and call 911. While creating distance...
    What Harryball said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    I would call 911 and verify who he says he is. If he truely is a cop he'll give you another look at the badge for the number.
    Yup. Don't ever take such casual approaches for what they're claimed to be, without verification. Be on your toes, as well, if you know the guy's armed and suspect he might well be impersonating LE.
    mano3 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I live 45 minutes from any large metro area for starters. Plus I don't go walking aimlessly with no set destination. Unlike the rest of the world I don't have a cell phone. For the sake of semi going along with you the only badge that might mean something is not for the city I'm walking around in so 1) I figure he's got a screw loose. 2) I take note of what he's wearing -height-weight-etc. 3) A cop from my town can ask me where I live until he's blue in the face. Strangers are strangers whether LE or just some shifty character. Neither gets Jack from me. I make a semi beeline for my truck and drive to the PD and make a report that some yahoo is impersonating an LEO.
    tcbrad98 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I am confused but that happens a lot. How do we know he was impersonating an officer? What was the outcome of this meeting? Oh just around the corner is close enough or Montreal I am walking the neighborhood thinking of buying in the area. Have you talked to our local police about help in this investigation? I can call them if you would like. I feel like I was offered a number six hook with half a worm on it.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I am confused but that happens a lot. How do we know he was impersonating an officer? What was the outcome of this meeting? Oh just around the corner is close enough or Montreal I am walking the neighborhood thinking of buying in the area. Have you talked to our local police about help in this investigation? I can call them if you would like. I feel like I was offered a number six hook with half a worm on it.
    You don't know that he's impersonating anyone. All you saw was a guy who was walking around a neighborhood without a direction. He approached you and briefly showed you his out of jurisdiction badge and a concealed revolver. He then wanted to know where you live so he could determine if further questions needed to be asked.

OO7
    Call 911 ASAP, keep your eyes on him, and be ready.
    gregivq likes this.
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

Something just happened very similar in an upscale Detroit suburb. Guy knocks on this homeowners door. Says he is police to investigate something. The home owner says he will call the station and verify. At that point the knocker fires 5 shots through the door and wounds the home owner. Trust no one!!!!!!! By the way a lesson as to not stand in front of your door when talking to someone on the other side!!!

I would NEVER show a stranger where I live and I would create the distance. It's about surviving and if I can do that by running like the wind, I'm plenty happy to oblige!

I'd say, "damn, you guys are fast. I just called 911 about that guy in the area impersonating a cable man." ;-)

His approach would raise alarms but the moment he starts asking questions about me, it's over and I'm moving along. If he's legit and investigating someone else, there's no reason for him start backward like that.
    NH_Esau, 3rdegree and NewportReds like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I'd calmely say that if I'm under investigation then you would already know where I live. And unless you have a warrent or something to serve then I don't owe you any information about me. But on a less mean note. I'd create some distance and call the police and make sure there is an officer in my area that's on a case. I saw someone say that if he realy is a cop he'll be more than happy to show you his badge number. Plus a police officer won't just show you that he's armed. It's a given for a cop to have some form of firearm.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Exactamundo!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Depending on your EDC, uh throw a net over him and create distance, time and cover?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links