New job, New rules

This is a discussion on New job, New rules within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just started a new job today. Going through the new company's employee handbook, I noticed it stated I cannot carry on the premises. Its ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: New job, New rules

New job, New rules

I just started a new job today. Going through the new company's employee handbook, I noticed it stated I cannot carry on the premises.
    Its an outside sales job, but I will have to go to the office everyday at some point.
    While working I generally leave my EDC in the truck while in customers homes or businesses. I was talking with a friend that works there. I've known him awhile. We talked about CHL'S and how we both have them. He goes on to say, you can't even have it in your truck, cause your not allowed on the company property with one.
    Not sure how I feel about this, but I don't want to break the rules at a new job.
    ANGLICO likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We all have to make a living i hate having to make these tough choices . I have to leave mine behind often . Schools , USCG yard, Gov. Buildings .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    well, i'm sure they have Gun Free Zone placards around, you'll be safe.... choke and puke....

if they don't have the signs, you should tell them top post them, can't have it both ways.... stupid

i am much in the same boat, and if i were to decide to disobey compay rules, i might be heavily eyeballing an NAA .22 mag, like the one wrongrecroom is selling. i might consider it or another super-micro gun buried so deep no one could ever know i had it. of course i would never disobey company policy.

fortunately, at least my company allows them in the parking lot, or at least hasn't disallowed them, yet.

that is one rule i would quit or get fired for, i think. not on me is bad enough, but 20 miles from home and not even in my car. ahh, no. you wanna search my car? well, i do live in an at-will work state, so... see ya! (i've been at my company 9 years, i'd hate to quit, but...)

i know how you feel about it, it stinks like an anchovies crotch and you hate it!!! the question is what ur gonna DO about it.

good luck
    maxwell97, Navydude and Aceoky like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Don't park on company property when you go to the office. See, problem solved.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Too good of a job to get caught breaking a stupid rule like this. It probably wouldn't be an issue here, but its a national company under the Berkshire-Hathaway umbrella. They're kinda strict about everything. The interview process was insane. Every back ground check you can imagine and a hair follicle drug test.
    I'll wait awhile, see how it goes before I consider bending the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    well, i'm sure they have Gun Free Zone placards around, you'll be safe.... choke and puke....

if they don't have the signs, you should tell them top post them, can't have it both ways.... stupid

i am much in the same boat, and if i were to decide to disobey compay rules, i might be heavily eyeballing an NAA .22 mag, like the one wrongrecroom is selling. i might consider it or another super-micro gun buried so deep no one could ever know i had it. of course i would never disobey company policy.

fortunately, at least my company allows them in the parking lot, or at least hasn't disallowed them, yet.

that is one rule i would quit or get fired for, i think. not on me is bad enough, but 20 miles from home and not even in my car. ahh, no. you wanna search my car? well, i do live in an at-will work state, so... see ya! (i've been at my company 9 years, i'd hate to quit, but...)

i know how you feel about it, it stinks like an anchovies crotch and you hate it!!! the question is what ur gonna DO about it.

good luck
    DingBat and GWarden like this.

VIP Member
    Chapter 52 of the Texas Labor Code, SB 321 provides that a private or public employer may not prohibit an employee from storing a firearm or ammunition in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, garage, or other parking area provided by the employer. In order to store a firearm in his or her vehicle, the employee must hold a concealed handgun license (CHL) in accordance with Chapter 411 of the Texas Government Code or otherwise lawfully possess a firearm.3 - See more at: Guns in Vehicles in Company Parking Lots Now Allowed in Texas | Publications | Littler Mendelson
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

He may have some old information regarding Texas law.

Your Employer & Your CHL Rights | Texas Concealed Carry Institute

Of course, beware internet law, but you can probably verify this somewhere.

Personally, if my workplace did ban in-the-car, that's something I'd be willing to consider losing a job over. Nobody's telling me what I can or can't have in my own car. That's MY property, thanks very much.
    NONAME762, Aceoky and nightsonge like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    Too good of a job to get caught breaking a stupid rule like this. It probably wouldn't be an issue here, but its a national company under the Berkshire-Hathaway umbrella. They're kinda strict about everything. The interview process was insane. Every back ground check you can imagine and a hair follicle drug test.
    I'll wait awhile, see how it goes before I consider bending the rules.

that's how i feel about my place. we dominate the slice of the packagin industry we are in, are growing like crazy, i've been promotoed, twice, and it's just an awesome place,

we did have a very peculiar guy get fired for his verbally violent outbursts, who was a gun owner, who made me VERRRY nervous abouta shooting. didn't happen, most likely unfair to judge,

9 years and i haven't broken policy, i guess being in my car placates me enough, but if i had to leave it at home....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Try working on a Federal Enclave (Installation). We get totally screwed! Think D.C. Naval Yard shooting............. And I go out on weekends and train the Federal Police (they are my friends), and I do not feel very safe. Can anyone say E-Tool (very sharp)?.

Super -

Obviously you have to make your own choice, and no matter what you really decide, type the words "I am leaving my gun at home and off company property."

If it were me...

I'd keep my gun in my glove box and my mouth closed. Simple as that.
    superdamian11, Aceoky and CWOUSCG like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Great info. It seems like a reach for my employer to limit my personal vehicle from having a legally owned handgun.

My last employer encouraged EDC. Crazy how a national company compares to a locally owned in Texas company's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    He may have some old information regarding Texas law.

Your Employer & Your CHL Rights | Texas Concealed Carry Institute

Of course, beware internet law, but you can probably verify this somewhere.

Personally, if my workplace did ban in-the-car, that's something I'd be willing to consider losing a job over. Nobody's telling me what I can or can't have in my own car. That's MY property, thanks very much.

I would say you should look for reliable information on the law. I've never been to TX but I kind of thought they had a law protecting employee's rights to keep a firearm locked in their vehicle on company property. If that turns out to be the case for you, if I were in your shoes I'd strongly consider leaving my CCW sidearm in my truck and keep the info to myself. Short of that, if it were possible to park a short distance away from work and walk a block or two, I would do that before I gave up and left my firearm at home.

If state law protects it but company policy forbids it you have something of a dilemma. If by some chance you were fired for it you may be able to sue but that could get ugly. I would always want to avoid trouble if I could, and even if you win the publicity won't make it any easier to get the next job (unless it's at a gun store!).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Just my thought but if I am going to work for a company and take their money as payment then I am going to abide by and follow any and all rules they have as long as they are not illegal. If not carrying is a deal breaker then I would find another job.

Just how I see the world. Doesn't make it right for you or any one else.

Congratulations on the new job.

Respectfully,
    Bill

I just started a new job today. Going through the new company's employee handbook, I noticed it stated I cannot carry on the premises.
    Its an outside sales job, but I will have to go to the office everyday at some point.
    While working I generally leave my EDC in the truck while in customers homes or businesses. I was talking with a friend that works there. I've known him awhile. We talked about CHL'S and how we both have them. He goes on to say, you can't even have it in your truck, cause your not allowed on the company property with one.
    Not sure how I feel about this, but I don't want to break the rules at a new job.
    Check Texas law closely i am not a lawyer, but i tend to think this issue has come up and might have been resolved, that you can secure firearm in your car!!!!
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Here you go...this is not an internet law but an actual statute from the Texas Labor Code 52.061;

Sec. 52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION.

A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1058 (S.B. 321), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.
    Last edited by USM1976; May 13th, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links