The First To Call The Police "Rule"

This is a discussion on The First To Call The Police "Rule" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been a fair number of threads about "Brandishing", or pointing ones weapon at other people. Lots of people have also asked legal questions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The First To Call The Police "Rule"

The First To Call The Police "Rule"

There have been a fair number of threads about "Brandishing", or pointing ones weapon at other people. Lots of people have also asked legal questions here.

It occurred to me that lots of people may not know that one group of people, actually up on some parts of the law, ARE THE BAD GUYS! No kidding.

Bad guys did not get their legal education online, from other law abiding folks. They have been "trained", by going thru the system. And they are actually masters at it. Once again, no kidding.

So, for the purposes of illustration, pretend that you are confronted by BGs. They have knives, lead pipes, maybe a gun. They are clearly going to do you serious bodily harm, OR rob you. Perhaps both.

You, being the savvy, and alert gun owner that you are, deploy your weapon, and thwart them. You do not shoot any of them. Then you command them to drop there weapons, and to begone.

They depart, and you feel pretty darn good about yourself...THEN, blue lights are seen, and sirens heard. Heading towards you.

Turns out, that the BGs called the police...ON YOU. They reported a scary man with a gun. And related to the police how that scary gun guy pointed that gun at them!!! They probably also add is a few made up details to put the frosting on the cake, so to speak.

You have just learned the hard way about the rule, (that is not a rule at all), that states "The First To Call The Police Wins".

Dont be "That Guy". Phone it in.

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Dead people cannot dial 911 on you! Just sayin............................... (if it is a legal shoot).

Edit Add - after the fact: Good question, or issue, or whatever......................

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    There have been a fair number of threads about "Brandishing", or pointing ones weapon at other people. Lots of people have also asked legal questions here.

It occurred to me that lots of people may not know that one group of people, actually up on some parts of the law, ARE THE BAD GUYS! No kidding.

Bad guys did not get their legal education online, from other law abiding folks. They have been "trained", by going thru the system. And they are actually masters at it. Once again, no kidding.

So, for the purposes of illustration, pretend that you are confronted by BGs. They have knives, lead pipes, maybe a gun. They are clearly going to do you serious bodily harm, OR rob you. Perhaps both.

You, being the savvy, and alert gun owner that you are, deploy your weapon, and thwart them. You do not shoot any of them. Then you command them to drop there weapons, and to begone.

They depart, and you feel pretty darn good about yourself...THEN, blue lights are seen, and sirens heard. Heading towards you.

Turns out, that the BGs called the police...ON YOU. They reported a scary man with a gun. And related to the police how that scary gun guy pointed that gun at them!!! They probably also add is a few made up details to put the frosting on the cake, so to speak.

You have just learned the hard way about the rule, (that is not a rule at all), that states "The First To Call The Police Wins".

Dont be "That Guy". Phone it in.
    Do you know of any actual cases of this happening?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

First, I've never heard of a criminal calling police do report someone pointed a gun at them. That brings too much heat on them, and any police officer worth his salt is going to check them out just as he would the person who used a handgun to protect himself. They are going to have to explain what they were doing to have such a thing occur. However, if someone is going to have a pipe, knife or other weapon in their hands to do me bodily harm, someone is going to be shot. Their weapon will be present when LEOs arrive.

Further, it isn't a rule to be the first to call police. Please, give some credit to police officers. Officers aren't the robotic with a programmed set of responses. They don't just believe the first person who called police.

I'd call for sure. i guess the one thing that I would have to my advantage is my arrest record vs. theirs. That's why they're called judges I guess.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    First hand knowledge, with my exact scenario, no. However a BUNCH of VERY closely related scenarios I know of first hand.

And, our local LE, Judges, Lawyers lecture on "The First To Call The Police" "Rule". Its a great game for those who have seen the inside of jails, and they are, like I said, masters at it.

Where Im at, this often comes up in Domestic Assault cases. The "wife beater"/attacker sustains a minor injury while attacking the other, leave, and THEY call the police on the one they attacked.

What Im describing is real. I honestly thought this happened all over the US, but it seems news to many that I would have thought knew all about it from their experiences.

Id lay odds that its coming your way, soon.

Sometimes one forgets the audience that they are speaking to. I think I did that in my OP, and assumed that everyone would understand that just because one is charged, and arrested, it does not mean that they are ultimately convicted. They .... many times are not convicted. I have no idea what % are ultimately convicted. Im afraid its much higher than it should be.

To a certain extent, a "conviction" is besides the point. One is ARRESTED, booked, held unless & until bond is posted, then has all the fun of various court dates & proceedings. Not to mention, having to hire a lawyer, (if one is not provided you).

So, you can easily end up spending time in jail, having been convicted of absolutely nothing.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear.
    Last edited by StormRhydr; May 13th, 2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    First, I've never heard of a criminal calling police do report someone pointed a gun at them. That brings too much heat on them, and any police officer worth his salt is going to check them out just as he would the person who used a handgun to protect himself. They are going to have to explain what they were doing to have such a thing occur. However, if someone is going to have a pipe, knife or other weapon in their hands to do me bodily harm, someone is going to be shot. Their weapon will be present when LEOs arrive.

Further, it isn't a rule to be the first to call police. Please, give some credit to police officers. Officers aren't the robotic with a programmed set of responses. They don't just believe the first person who called police.
    Well give me some credit, too. I stated clearly that it was not a rule. But it IS operated under where Im from.
    gatorbait51 and farsidefan1 like this.

You pull a gun on a criminal and they are gone. If they call the cops it's on a throwaway cell phone. But, if you pull a gun in an 'Iffy' situation, then be the first to call the cops. Take a 'Road-Rage' situation where you have a nut approach you and you pull a gun. You better call the cops first.

In many states now, regarding domestic disputes, both go to jail.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

YES. Not that unusual actually.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This was drilled into us during my CWP class. The instructor gave a few local examples of this scenario.
    The problem is if the BG's call 911 anonymously, then run, you are still going to be considered guilty if no proof to your defense is there.
    And if thet turn and run when you start your draw, your choice is to shoot in the back, (big no no), or take the heat.
    either way, it's a no win situation
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Cell video cameras are your friend.

Maybe we should all learn a new technique, gun in strong hand, cam in weak one.

I wear a "pen cam" when interacting with tenants if there are any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    This was drilled into us during my CWP class. The instructor gave a few local examples of this scenario.
    The problem is if the BG's call 911 anonymously, then run, you are still going to be considered guilty if no proof to your defense is there.
    And if thet turn and run when you start your draw, your choice is to shoot in the back, (big no no), or take the heat.
    either way, it's a no win situation
    Incident a while back near here where a BG robbed a man at Wal-Mart. Guess the guy couldn't get to his gun while being robbed so he gave up his wallet. The BG turned and was running away when he pulled his gun and shot the BG in the back killing him. Oh yea. He was arrest for murder. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

He was acquitted but that is only because of the area he lives in. Dope head got the short end of the deal. Did not hear about civil case from family.

All of the above is true. You have choices, stay at home, carry a gun, or not carry a gun. If you are not going to stay at home, you are better off carrying a gun. I had rather be alive and going to court that dead and nowhere to go.

They reported "a scary man with a gun" With that said, all they did was call in a NWAG call. UNLESS they've identified themselves, and are reporting that you've displayed your weapon to THEM. I don't think they would do this, BUT, ya never know....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links