Car carry, No cwp

This is a discussion on Car carry, No cwp within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He guys. SC handgun laws allow me to carry my 9mm in my middle console loaded, which is a good thing for me while I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Car carry, No cwp

Car carry, No cwp

He guys. SC handgun laws allow me to carry my 9mm in my middle console loaded, which is a good thing for me while I wait patiently for my cwp. I am, however, a little curious as to what capacity I can actually use it in a self defense application. I know that if someone is at the window trying to highjack my car full of my children, then they will be treated with a few grains of lead medicine to remedy their stupidity. However, what if some maniac who has just dined on bath salts and whiskey is eating the guy's face in front of me while his children remain prospects on the menu? Can I, without a permit, help him save his children? I know that scenario is out in left field but it could be any number of issues that legitimize my question. Any advice out there?
    Navydude likes this.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is SC an OC state? IF so, get out with gun in hand and proceed as necessary.
    Navydude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not OC as of right now. Would be nice in some instances.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Once upon a time i wondered the same thing.What the answer is,so far as you being out of your car with a gun helping someone,is a no no.If you did get out of car and helped save someone's life and the prosecutor is a pro2a they may not charge you,but then again,it is illegal without cwp.

Hopefully it won't be too long before you get your permit.I understand SLED is getting them out a little faster.I just had mine renewed this past NOV. and i think it took about 2 months,but i forgot to send a copy of my DL in,duh.So,obviously that delayed it.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    That's a sticky concern. If it were me I'd stop and pull and end the threat. I doubt that it would be a felony offense but you'd probably be fined. But as I said if it were me. I won't allow someone else's kid be a victim when I can do something about it.
    RickyD and Navydude like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    That's a sticky concern. If it were me I'd stop and pull and end the threat. I doubt that it would be a felony offense but you'd probably be fined. But as I said if it were me. I won't allow someone else's kid be a victim when I can do something about it.
    Interesting. I definitely agree from a moral standpoint. Even if it was a felony, I couldn't let any child die in front of me without some type of action on my part.
    deadguy, CWOUSCG, RickyD and 2 others like this.

Could you live with yourself if you did nothing? Or did not do enough?
    glockstar and Navydude like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I'd rather be charged with a felony possession of a firearm than several counts of murder in my mind. I couldn't live with myself.
    glockstar and Navydude like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to be charged with a felony,but it would be real hard to see something like that and do nothing..I think i would have to do something.
    glockstar likes this.

Sometimes you just have to do what is right. I love kids. My own, my grand kids and just kids. They look to us for protection. I could live with the hassle of the law but I could not live with myself if I did nothing.
    RickyD, glockstar and CWOUSCG like this.

I couldn't just stand by and watch that happen.

Might end up in prison, but heck, I've needed to get some reading done anyways.
    vice87 and glockstar like this.

And it goes without saying, it may not be the bath salt apocalypse. Maybe it's a guy trying to take a girl from the walgreens parking space next to me at knifepoint in order to rape her somewhere else. Maybe there's a creep at the local park kidnapping a child and I, in the parking lot am the kid's last hope. Morally speaking, I have my limits as to what I would watch happen, but I'm starting to wonder as to the legality of certain actions concerning car carry without a cwp.

I asked , and in my town you will be charged for carrying illegally, but the defensive shooting could be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    He guys. SC handgun laws allow me to carry my 9mm in my middle console loaded, which is a good thing for me while I wait patiently for my cwp. I am, however, a little curious as to what capacity I can actually use it in a self defense application. I know that if someone is at the window trying to highjack my car full of my children, then they will be treated with a few grains of lead medicine to remedy their stupidity. However, what if some maniac who has just dined on bath salts and whiskey is eating the guy's face in front of me while his children remain prospects on the menu? Can I, without a permit, help him save his children? I know that scenario is out in left field but it could be any number of issues that legitimize my question. Any advice out there?

I haven't read all the responses, but I'll say this about that...
    Any time a guy or gal uses a gun, for whatever purpose (SD purpose, that is), the situation that dictated the production of the gun better be a justifiable one, and not just a matter of convenience.

If ya use yer gun, with permit or without, yer gonna be scrutinized and picked apart no matter what.
    Oh yeah, ya better be ready to wear orange for a while and spend your retirement money on the best lawyer you can afford. Otherwise, just prepare to wear orange for a l o n g time.
    I doubt whether a permit makes all that much difference, once the gun comes out to say "hello!"

YMMV
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    After further review, getting a lawfully concealed firearm from your vehicle to stop a potential life-threatening event shouldn't even fall under a "carrying" statute, but under use of lethal force statutes--if they even applied.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links