Youtube has taught me that I am not a commando

This is a discussion on Youtube has taught me that I am not a commando within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's very seldom that we read through a particular scenario thread without seeing the occasional "commando" post from someone who's pretty sure they'll win in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Youtube has taught me that I am not a commando

It's very seldom that we read through a particular scenario thread without seeing the occasional "commando" post from someone who's pretty sure they'll win in any situation. A lot of us, having not been through combat abroad or suffered a traumatic event at the hands of a criminal, are not trained to think about the possibility of defeat. I'm scared to lose, therefore I view every hypothetical scenario I encounter through the lens of victory. However, I do this to my own detriment not knowing that when I focus on what really happens in a gun fight, it is actually the first step to improve my chances of survival.

For those "commandos" out there who have no experience with reality, I encourage you to do what I did. Go to youtube and watch videos. No, not opinion pieces or sterile training exercises. Watch closed circuit surveillance videos of store robberies. Look up cwp holders using their weapons during a stick up. Heck, look up law enforcement videos of LEO's in high intensity situations. I did, and I feel I'm better for it. I no longer think with the wool over my eyes. I'm ready to train, train, train for the worst case scenario. I now realize that I am not a commando.

Here's what youtube taught me:

1. Even with the best situational awareness employed, I will never be able to pick the time and place the bad guy will strike. I will never have that advantage.
    2. In a high intensity situation involving a bad guy with a gun, it's very likely I will get shot.
    3. Adrenaline will be a finniky mistress who will work for me and against me. I must train daily, turning every technique into muscle memory so that I can at least work with her during a gun fight.
    4. Sometimes technique goes out the window, and we must quickly learn to be OK with that and roll with it.
    5. The average SD situation lasts between 30 to 60 seconds. Once again, train, train, train, because I will be making some of the most important decisions of my life in that moment.
    6. All handgun calibers suck when hitting someone jacked up on adrenaline. It's not guaranteed that the bad guy will disintegrate into tiny pieces with 2 shots from a .45 acp. Mindset is the key. Shoot the lung and heart box until your life isn't threatened anymore.
    7. The bad guy won't always be afraid of my gun. Guns aren't for scaring, I must be prepared to destroy the person that is threatening my life. If not, I could lose my own life or that of my family.
    8. Did I mention that I must train? I must ingrain basic situational awareness,drawing, and shooting skills.

If I missed something, let me know. If I got something wrong, call it out. I am not a commando and am therefore teachable and ready to learn!
    Gun Control: Using both hands

good post.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    It's very seldom that we read through a particular scenario thread without seeing the occasional "commando" post from someone who's pretty sure they'll win in any situation. A lot of us, having not been through combat abroad or suffered a traumatic event at the hands of a criminal, are not trained to think about the possibility of defeat. I'm scared to lose, therefore I view every hypothetical scenario I encounter through the lens of victory. However, I do this to my own detriment not knowing that when I focus on what really happens in a gun fight, it is actually the first step to improve my chances of survival.

For those "commandos" out there who have no experience with reality, I encourage you to do what I did. Go to youtube and watch videos. No, not opinion pieces or sterile training exercises. Watch closed circuit surveillance videos of store robberies. Look up cwp holders using their weapons during a stick up. Heck, look up law enforcement videos of LEO's in high intensity situations. I did, and I feel I'm better for it. I no longer think with the wool over my eyes. I'm ready to train, train, train for the worst case scenario. I now realize that I am not a commando.

Here's what youtube taught me:

1. Even with the best situational awareness employed, I will never be able to pick the time and place the bad guy will strike. I will never have that advantage.
    2. In a high intensity situation involving a bad guy with a gun, it's very likely I will get shot.
    3. Adrenaline will be a finniky mistress who will work for me and against me. I must train daily, turning every technique into muscle memory so that I can at least work with her during a gun fight.
    4. Sometimes technique goes out the window, and we must quickly learn to be OK with that and roll with it.
    5. The average SD situation lasts between 30 to 60 seconds. Once again, train, train, train, because I will be making some of the most important decisions of my life in that moment.
    6. All handgun calibers suck when hitting someone jacked up on adrenaline. It's not guaranteed that the bad guy will disintegrate into tiny pieces with 2 shots from a .45 acp. Mindset is the key. Shoot the lung and heart box until your life isn't threatened anymore.
    7. The bad guy won't always be afraid of my gun. Guns aren't for scaring, I must be prepared to destroy the person that is threatening my life. If not, I could lose my own life or that of my family.
    8. Did I mention that I must train? I must ingrain basic situational awareness,drawing, and shooting skills.

If I missed something, let me know. If I got something wrong, call it out. I am not a commando and am therefore teachable and ready to learn!
    Great post. The "Will to Win" is one of the keys to a successful outcome. IMHO
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Remaining teachable is a must for all of us.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Do you have some favorite videos?

I'm not very good at separating the wheat from the chaff on Youtube. Perhaps I just haven't found the right search terms.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well said Armed Preacher. We all have to train, study, read and train some more. We will never be able to pick and choice when a situation will happen. But like you said our life and that of our families can be in the balance on how well we react to a situation. We owe it to them to train. It is a very big responsibility to carry a gun but a bigger responsibility to ensure our families safety.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Good post. And I second the request for you to make a playlist for us. Or at least give us search terms you used. I often have a hard time searching on YouTube and finding anything useful.
    Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.

Excellent post. All good points and an illustration of the modern urban warrior mindset: Life isn't fair, and while you can train, you don't know what you're training for, exactly.

So you have to train for everything.

A firearm is good for a subset of situations, but not all of them. Same goes for knives, sticks, staves, thrown objects, and H2H measures. You don't know which one you'll need in the event life's lottery decides today's your unlucky day, so it's a good idea to develop as many skills as you can, and get muscle memory working for you. Like the OP says, the more you train in adrenaline-surge situations, the more comfortable you'll be in a serious event.

Even so, no guarantees. But you can try and make yourself as bad of a victim choice as possible. Some people don't try at all.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You can type in "Police shootings caught on camera", "Police Shootings" any thing of that sort and find alot of videos from dash cams in the cruiser, i think you can even type in "dash cam videos" and find some.

The OP is right on target, watch some of these videos and see that most bad guys don't go down after being struck, and the how quickly some of these situations gets ugly.

I have watched alot of them and they are all eye opening and personally I think anyone can learn a thing or two by watching these videos, most of us are not LEO's but you can always learn a thing or two about situational awareness in these videos.
    ILoveSigs and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Excellent, introspective post. It's always best to look inward prior to looking out. Thank you for the reminder.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Great post. Lots of good points.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Remaining teachable is a must for all of us.
    This, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    Do you have some favorite videos?

I'm not very good at separating the wheat from the chaff on Youtube. Perhaps I just haven't found the right search terms.
    I just searched CCW saves life, and self defense shooting - in 10 seconds, came up with some good stuff.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

One thing I haven't practiced is falling down with my CC weapon. Even with situational awareness someone could get the drop on you and knock you down before you have a chance to draw. As in martial arts where you train your body to instinctual fall/get tossed around, I think tactical training should include more on what happens when you fall and have your body subconsciously land in a way that minimizes recovery time. Get used to falling on a part of your body that A. avoids landing on your firearm. B. Allows for a quick recovery and draw. We can't all have ninja reflexes, but at least we shouldn't focus on us having equal footing all the time (i.e both us and the BG have a random encounter like in Pokemon)
    gatorbait51 and Orangeman like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    ArmedPreacher, good post!

To add to what you wrote my advice would be to get right with the Lord and be prepared to die. I went to Nam with that feeling and thoughts in my head, do the best I can, be the best prepared in all way I can but knowing I may die.

Being prepared for death is good for everyday life too because we all have no idea when our time will come. So a good question to ask ones self is....If I should die today am I ready? Have I lived my life to the best of my ability?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    # 7...Be committed to the fight!

You sir are 100% correct. I've been preaching this for years to many; even before I carried a pistol.

Macho false confidence is dangerous.
    gdolson and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Excellent points and reminders, OP.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links