Orange tips on toy guns....

This is a discussion on Orange tips on toy guns.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you think its a good idea, or a silly idea. It seems that maybe we have put our LE officers and maybe ourselves in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Orange tips on toy guns....

Do you think its a good idea, or a silly idea. It seems that maybe we have put our LE officers and maybe ourselves in a bit of a pickle. What do you do if someone walks up and pulls a gun on you with an orange tips. Remember, crime for the most part is always one step in front of the good guys....

Defenders: Criminals using orange tips on real guns | Local 4 Defenders - Home
    DingBat likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Someone pulls any threat one me is going to be seeing steel very fast .. Consider how easy it is remove or add color to a gun .... And even just a pellet gun they can still kill or injure
    DingBat likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just goes to show that criminals sometimes aren't as dumb as we would like to think. Unfortunately, some are very good at what they do.
    DingBat likes this.

VIP Member
    My ridiculously unabashed loudmouthed opinion is that if you are stupid enough to point ANYTHING that even looks like a G-U-N at someone, least of all a police officer, you just forfeited your right to breath. Orange tip/watergun/finger, whatever.

Hey, the schools have the "zero tolerance" Bull-capitol-S-with-a-hit mentality, why shouldn't everyone else.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    My ridiculously unabashed loudmouthed opinion is that if you are stupid enough to point ANYTHING that even looks like a G-U-N at someone, least of all a police officer, you just forfeited your right to breath. Orange tip/watergun/finger, whatever.

Hey, the schools have the "zero tolerance" Bull-capitol-S-with-a-hit mentality, why shouldn't everyone else.
    I agree with you, but the officers are trained if they see an orange tip, to pause. This could be a real issue for them and maybe us as well....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you think its a good idea, or a silly idea.
    not good or silly
    just more plain stupid crap from the plain stupid antis'
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you think its a good idea, or a silly idea. It seems that maybe we have put our LE officers and maybe ourselves in a bit of a pickle. What do you do if someone walks up and pulls a gun on you with an orange tips. Remember, crime for the most part is always one step in front of the good guys....
    What I do in a robbery/intimidation situation in which the manifest reality is deadly dire circumstance? Defend against that apparent threat, treating it like it's being presented to me.

What I do when seeing a "gun" (orange tip or no) flailed around, possibly even pointed or even deliberately aimed over yonder, I try really hard to judge the totality of circumstances. Once upon a time, not too many decades ago, we had "playing cowboys & indians" in the yard. Many kids had toy/fake revolvers, some had Daisy BB guns. Up to about ~25yrs ago, I saw kids playing in places away from public spots (ie, in back yards, fields) in such ways, and there was pointing of guns going on ... none of which represented a legitimate, reasonable threat. Big difference to a deliberate robbery/intimidation type situation.

I'm all for people being able to distinguish between such things.

But I can't fault the average person or LE for being incapable of quickly weeding out the fake robberies from the real ones, fake "tipped" guns or no.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

let's face it folks, what was the first thing that came to your mind when you first heard about mandatory colored tips on toy guns?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    let's face it folks, what was the first thing that came to your mind when you first heard about mandatory colored tips on toy guns?
    I thought it'd be a boon for criminals, at least the portion that believed it could allow skimming under the radar while avoiding outright "gun" charges in robberies.

If course, it's still a robbery. You'd have to be an outright dolt to not have a real weapon, if upping the ante to robbery or worse. That, or dirt poor.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I think if the crimminals ( gang members ) are running this scam with painted tips of guns , i say police should carry some sandpaper to use after the shoot .

It is about the same level , they (bg) can paint it on then they (leo's) can remove it.
    vice87 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

If it's a child with an orange tip....maybe I pause.

An adult with an orange tip, or even a teenager will probably not get that courtesy.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If it's a child with an orange tip....maybe I pause.

An adult with an orange tip, or even a teenager will probably not get that courtesy.
    My sentiments exactly !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    well, first and foremost i feel sorry for any cops about to be put into that situation... it stinks like a goats crotch.

second, i find it hilarious some darned fool law passed by trembling-in-fear fools has backfired and actually created a riskier situation for everyone involved. a teenager with a real toy gets killed, a cop thinking a banger with a fake gun will likely be killed.

huh. our famous forum quote "play stupid games win stupid prizes" ...? stupid game = passing moroninc pointless laws - - stupid prize = dead GG's, dead Innocent's, living and maybe even on-the-run BG's.

brilliant.
    oneshot and Navydude like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I think it can cause more problems than it solves. Criminals can paint their real guns' tips orange, and they can also remove fake guns orange tips to use them in crimes (robbing store with fake gun).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

+1(shot)! I agree 100% - if someone points anything that looks like a gun at an LEO, they are to blame for the consequences of their actions.

This is another example of the law of unintended consequences and why orange tips on toy guns are ridiculous. Children should be taught to NEVER point a gun at something or someone they don't intend to destroy. AND if they do, they are to blame for the consequences of their actions.
    oneshot, gdolson and Navydude like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links